Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bottlenecking?? What is it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 4:43:16 PM

What is bottlenecking???

I know it has something to with max power of graphics cards but I dont know much more than that and I might be wrong on even that Help is greatly appreciated.

More about : bottlenecking

a c 143 U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 4:49:33 PM

Modern games are very GPU intensive because of HDR, AA and other effects that put a lot of stress on the GPU, when the CPU is rendering the images and depending on the kind of scene being rendered in the game there is a distribution of work between the CPU and GPU and the slower of the two becomes the bottleneck.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 4:55:06 PM

ilysaml said:
Modern games are very GPU intensive because of HDR, AA and other effects that put a lot of stress on the GPU, when the CPU is rendering the images and depending on the kind of scene being rendered in the game there is a distribution of work between the CPU and GPU and the slower of the two becomes the bottleneck.

This is an excellent explanation.

this video will explain more graphically how bottlenecking affect your system and gaming :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGdo75gasaQ&feature=plcp

Its easy to understand :) 
Related resources
May 27, 2012 4:58:57 PM

2fast4thetown_down said:
What is bottlenecking???

I know it has something to with max power of graphics cards but I dont know much more than that and I might be wrong on even that Help is greatly appreciated.

It means that either your CPU or GPU is far too weak compared to the other.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 5:13:19 PM

Best answer selected by 2fast4thetown_down.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 5:16:09 PM

2fast4thetown_down said:
i5 2500k @ 3.3 ghz/GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3/8 gbs kingston Hyper x blu/nvidia 8800gt/ 1 tb hitatchi deskstar/asus 23" 2ms 1920x1080 led monitor

As previous users have already well explained what bottlenecking is. I noticed your build spec in your signature. It would seem your Graphics Card [8800GT] is what's bottlenecking your current system. It would be very helpful if you could tell us your PSU model so I can make a informed suggestion for which Graphics Card to consider if you need a new one. However, with what I already know I would highly recommend a 6870. Sure it's last generation but it offers much more performance for the same price than what's available in the current lineup and because it's older, its drivers are that much more mature.

Here is a 8800GT VS 6870 1GB Spec Sheet. The 6870 uses a mere 46Watts more than the 8800GT.
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=544&card2...

****Note: If you have a 500W+ PSU, you should be fine, but do post your PSU model so we can make sure it can handle the extra load.

~Coffee
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 6:25:27 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!