Sign in with
Your question

Geforce 6600 hot and fan going all the time

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 27, 2012 6:15:05 PM

Hi

Im having a problem with this video card and i thought someone hear may know whats wrong with it.

Im stuck with a pretty old computer at the moment so i been puting some cheap parts in it just to give it a bit of a boost i needed a better video card just so windows 7 would run a bit better. I got a gigabyte geforce 6600 card off ebay but when i plug it in and power on the pc the fan starts going on it at full speed and its very loud and it stays like this untill i power off the computer. Ive installed the latest drivers but hasnt had any effect, i can use the aero theme so the card seems to be working but i do notice that theres some lag and slowdowns. I downloaded river tuner to see if i could slow the fan down but that didnt work as it keept snapping back to 100% so wouldnt let me change it. I also tried running a gpu temp and it says the temp is 73c when i aint doing anything and it rises when i start opening applications i dont know much about it but im pretty sure it shouldnt be that hot espcially since the fan is going so fast. If i try and do anything that makes the card do alot i end up with a bsod like if i run the system rating half way through ill get a blue screen so im guessing thats happening due to the heat.

Ive tried cleaning the dust off the fan (there was alot) but it made no difference.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?? and how to fix it??

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 6:38:49 PM

I have a 6600 and it's normal for many of those cards to be at 100% fan speed, although that high temp is a problem and you might want to reapply the thermal paste or get a new heat sink.
May 27, 2012 7:41:51 PM

Really? is it ment to be so loud tho as i can hear it over everything else and i have to leave the case open to fit the card in so that dont help with the noise either

Also how exactly do you remove the heatsinks as they are held down with white things with springs on them and im not familiar with them and is there any particular themal paste i should use or will any do the job?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 11:59:53 PM

Is this a GeForce 6600, 6600 GT, 6600 LE, or 6600 XL?

Do not replace the thermal paste if your a nub, just saying. But if you want to, these springs hold down the heat sink, to release them you just push down and gently take off the heat sink. Any paste that isn't conductive should do.

These low end cards with small heat sinks usually have no fan control and just blast at 100% with a load buzzing/ringing/high pitched sound and get worse as the bearing fluid gets dry. Have this problem on a 8400 GS, 6600, & 8500 GT. If you search online there are ways to fix this.

REMEMBER THIS CARD HAS NO HEAT SPREADER JUST A BARE DIE, BE CAREFUL! ONLY A TINY HALF RICE SIZED DROP OF THERMAL PASTE IS NEEDED!

Also what temps are you getting on load?
May 28, 2012 4:52:17 AM

Its just a normal geforce 6600 128mb agp its made by gigabyte its model is gv-66128dp.

Im not a noob when it comes to computers in general but i havent had much experience with video cards im used to built ones or ones with just basic heatsinks and never really had trouble with one before. Ive never had to replace the thermal paste on anything before either so im new to that but it looks pretty straight forward so i might aswell have ago ive ordered some arctic cooling mx-2 paste to try.

The average temp seems to be around 70 odd but when i run the system rating test again its been hitting 95c but it does go up and down a bit before getting the bsod then i usually gotta turn off the pc and let it cool for five before im able to get back into windows.

a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 5:31:55 PM

andrewtjb said:
Its just a normal geforce 6600 128mb agp its made by gigabyte its model is gv-66128dp.

Im not a noob when it comes to computers in general but i havent had much experience with video cards im used to built ones or ones with just basic heatsinks and never really had trouble with one before. Ive never had to replace the thermal paste on anything before either so im new to that but it looks pretty straight forward so i might aswell have ago ive ordered some arctic cooling mx-2 paste to try.

The average temp seems to be around 70 odd but when i run the system rating test again its been hitting 95c but it does go up and down a bit before getting the bsod then i usually gotta turn off the pc and let it cool for five before im able to get back into windows.

I would definitely give it a shot, could be that whoever you got it from messed up on applying some paste or something and if need be you could just buy an after market cooler.
a c 177 U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 5:44:53 PM

Just my tuppenceworth:
The screws holding the heatsink down may be tight, you MUST use a good quality, good fitting screwdriver to remove them, if you do n't at best you may damage the screws, rendering them imovable later on, at worst the 'driver may slip out and damage the PCB...
You'll need some suitable solvent to remove the old thermal goo, computer stores sell it, do n't use a scraper, an ordinary paper towel will do the job perfectly.
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 7:46:36 PM

Remove the cooler from the card, clean the gpu core and the base of the cooler with rubbing alcohol. Use a horse hair brush or a can of compressed air to clean the fan and cooler as well remove any dust that is on the card. Get a tube of arctic silver 5 or better and only use a small drop of compound. If you feel that you want to do better then get a piece of thin plastic and spread it around with your finger with the plastic to make a thin layer.

If that doesn't help enough place a 80mm fan near the card to help blow some cool air towards it so temps will be lower. If all else the noise is still a major issue then maybe look for a aftermarket cooler or a better card.
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 1:32:57 AM

coozie7 said:
Just my tuppenceworth:
The screws holding the heatsink down may be tight, you MUST use a good quality, good fitting screwdriver to remove them, if you do n't at best you may damage the screws, rendering them imovable later on, at worst the 'driver may slip out and damage the PCB...
You'll need some suitable solvent to remove the old thermal goo, computer stores sell it, do n't use a scraper, an ordinary paper towel will do the job perfectly.

His cooler doesn't have screws just spring clips.
May 29, 2012 4:35:53 AM

Have you tried just cleaning it out with a blower? A good cleaning does wonders sometimes.
May 29, 2012 10:58:52 AM

i dont have any compressed air or anything so i gave it a bit of a clean with cotton buds but didnt make any diffrence but when the paste gets here and i take the heat sinks off im gonna give it a good clean with alcohol wipes and oil the fan so fingers crossed it will fix it.
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 12:27:49 PM

Dude just get a horse hair paint or basting brush at the local grocery store for next to nothing and save the alcohol wipes for when you go to clean the base of the cooler and gpu.
!