Sign in with
Your question

Cooler Master Elite 120 mitx mod

Last response: in Components
December 1, 2012 3:50:29 PM

Hi, I was worried about temps and airflow on an upcoming build I was going to do. Instead of the standard airflow from front to back, I was wondering if I could switch the position of the psu and drive cage on this case so that the psu would be at the bottom front with the power cable coming out of the side of the case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

to look kind of like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/accommodate-supply-Optical-moth...

This would allow me to put a big fan at top of the case above the motherboard. I would switch the heat sink fan to blow down and reverse the side and front fans to blow outwards. Theoretically, there would be a lot of cool air blowing down, through the drive cage, though the heat sink, onto the cpu, dispersing onto the motherboard and its components, and finally out of the case through the (now reversed) exhaust fans. I know it will be a lot of metal working on my part, with the extra holes at the bottom for the psu fan intake and the side for psu power supply cable, but would this be a plausible mod or am I thinking too theoretical with the airflow?

This mod would also alleviate the problem this case has with only allowing a small selection of after market coolers as there is not much clearance between the cooler and the psu in the normal setup.

Thanks in advance for any critiquing/advice.
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 4:18:40 PM

Hi :) 

It wont work, you do realise heat RISES ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
December 1, 2012 4:40:31 PM

Heat rises, but it doesn't rise faster or stronger than a big fan (I'm talking 180mm) blowing down, even at modest speeds. The heat sink fan is just to concentrate the abundant airflow from that fan into the cpu.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 4:43:31 PM

bluey16 said:
Heat rises, but it doesn't rise faster or stronger than a big fan (I'm talking 180mm) blowing down, even at modest speeds. The heat sink fan is just to concentrate the abundant airflow from that fan into the cpu.

Hi :) 

If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question, I repeat it wont work...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
March 3, 2013 1:41:28 AM

Hmm, i like your thinking. I was thinking reversing the front and side fans is good idea in your case. The point brett is making is that the air blowing down on the mobo would be conflicting with the heat trying to escape from the cpu. The top fan may overpower the convection, but thats not the point. What if you mounted a 120mm fan on the rear blowing in, and also used the bracket on the drive cage to mount another 120mm fan sucking air towards the front? At least this way your airflow has a directed path.
m
l
a c 155 ) Power supply
March 3, 2013 1:58:39 AM

It should work fine if you cut a hole big enough for the PSU intake fan in the bottom of the case. And if you exhaust the PSU heat out the side of the case. Just don't capture any more heat than you have to inside that small case.

What I did with my CM Elite 120, was simply add a 2nd 120mm fan to the mounting spot on other side of the drive cage.
m
l
!