Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Laptops
  • Games
  • Thermal Compound
Last response: in CPUs
December 1, 2012 4:24:25 PM

Hello,
So i have a Toshiba Satellite A665-S5199x. Ive had it for like a year and a half now and ive had lots of issues in the past where the fans on the laptop would ALWAYS be running super loud. So i read some things online and found out that this laptop has alot of issues with the Thermal paste cracking.

So I replaced the thermal paste. Everything was working fine. The fans stppped running so much and for a while I thought I was good to go. Until about a week ago I started getting error messages telling me that "A problem has been detected with your cooling system. Please turn it off immediately and return it for service.

That error message pops up every few minutes. Sometimes within seconds of dismissing it. Now the thing that bugs me is the fact that the fans never run! So while im just browsing the desktop i get the message all the time. Unless im playing a game! If i start up a game or a really cpu intensive task the fan kicks in and I NEVER get the message.
And as long as i cycle between the game every few minutes and the desktop im able to browse the internet without this message.

So my question is why does the fan only kick on when im running a game. If the laptop was truely overheating wouldnt the fan kick on anyways?

More about : laptop overheats playing game

a b à CPUs
December 1, 2012 4:44:08 PM

B3A5T said:
Hello,
So i have a Toshiba Satellite A665-S5199x. Ive had it for like a year and a half now and ive had lots of issues in the past where the fans on the laptop would ALWAYS be running super loud. So i read some things online and found out that this laptop has alot of issues with the Thermal paste cracking.

So I replaced the thermal paste. Everything was working fine. The fans stppped running so much and for a while I thought I was good to go. Until about a week ago I started getting error messages telling me that "A problem has been detected with your cooling system. Please turn it off immediately and return it for service.

That error message pops up every few minutes. Sometimes within seconds of dismissing it. Now the thing that bugs me is the fact that the fans never run! So while im just browsing the desktop i get the message all the time. Unless im playing a game! If i start up a game or a really cpu intensive task the fan kicks in and I NEVER get the message.
And as long as i cycle between the game every few minutes and the desktop im able to browse the internet without this message.

So my question is why does the fan only kick on when im running a game. If the laptop was truely overheating wouldnt the fan kick on anyways?

use hardwareinfo to set fans to run at low speed when not stressed or just idling , see if you have the fan running at low rpm when not stressed gets rid of error message .Maybe the error message is because no fan is running
The fan kicks in when you're gaming cause it's HOT , if it did not come on chip would fry .
m
l