Sign in with
Your question

HELP Between two Gaming PC Choices

Last response: in Systems
July 20, 2012 8:02:30 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: TODAY Because i have a few deals which end tonight

Budget Range: 700 willing to push it a bit

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing internet, Movies, Streaming in general

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NCIX.COM have deals there

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Im building a completely new computer for gaming, many games mainly WoW, starcraft, Fallout, Skyrim, Cod. I have a few deals which end tonight and want your opinion on the setup ive got in mind

PC CHOICE #1 - $840

i5 2500k
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Case
BluRay Drive
CD Drive
ASUS P8P67 Mobo
G.Skill Ripjaws RAM 8Gb
500Gb Kingston HDD
120 Gb SSD
Seasonic Power Supply
Wireless Card
Windows 7
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 560Ti

PC CHOICE #2 - $870

I5 2500k
Cooler Master 2 690
CD/DVD Drive
:ASUS P8Z77-V Mobo
Corsair 8gb Ram
1TB HDD
60gb SSD
850 W Xion Power Supply
Windows 7
HD 7850 OC

Again Im using it for gaming, let me know if these deals are good guys. Which deal is best for my gaming needs? which gets more bang for the buck, Thanks

More about : gaming choices

July 20, 2012 8:34:28 PM

I'd say PC numero dos.

It's got a better gfx card imo, you can use the ssd for os then you will have 500 extra gig's on the hd.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 20, 2012 8:44:03 PM

I'd go with PC #2, but with a few changes:

drop the 850W Xion PSU, replace it with the Seasonic 520W M12 II, plenty for your 7850, and use the savings to up to a 90 or 120 GB SSD
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2012 8:45:51 PM

ScrewySqrl said:

drop the 850W Xion PSU, replace it with the Seasonic 520W M12 II, plenty for your 7850, and use the savings to up to a 90 or 120 GB SSD

That sounds good, but I'm getting these from a guy who builds computers. Those 2 are slightly used, Do you think those are good deals? Brand new that setup is around 1300 with tax +shipping i believe.
m
l
July 20, 2012 8:46:46 PM

ScrewySqrl said:

+1 - you definitely want more for your BOOT SSD so that you can possibly put some progs or a game or two on there that you play most often
m
l
July 20, 2012 8:54:03 PM

Danny51 said:
That sounds good, but I'm getting these from a guy who builds computers. Those 2 are slightly used, Do you think those are good deals? Brand new that setup is around 1300 with tax +shipping i believe.

Yeah it's a good deal, but has the system been tortured and it's lifespan decreased- especially the video card... did he OC the video or is it a stock OC'd card? Those go for about $245 average on newegg
m
l
July 20, 2012 9:02:33 PM

dingo07 said:
Yeah it's a good deal, but has the system been tortured and it's lifespan decreased- especially the video card... did he OC the video or is it a stock OC'd card? Those go for about $245 average on newegg

Hes had it for 2 months, will it still be that much "tortured"? and its stock OC'd .
I only really wanna purchase it if its almost a steal, I just want a really good deal with good value.
m
l
July 20, 2012 9:16:55 PM

There's no telling what he did with it. I'm leary about buying used computers/components...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 20, 2012 9:29:55 PM

I'd go with PC #2 but buy a different PSU
m
l
July 20, 2012 9:36:38 PM

Both are fine for gaming, if you can't change these configurations, I'd say go with the one with the larger SSD.

Also, it's a shame to have a i2500K and not overclock it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 20, 2012 10:15:42 PM

if its as-is only, I'd take PC #1 then
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 20, 2012 10:57:00 PM

I'd actually still take PC #2 just because SSD prices are falling faster than video card prices.
m
l
July 20, 2012 11:11:00 PM

Well isnt the motherboard and Video card better on the computer #2?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 20, 2012 11:37:32 PM

Danny51 said:
Well isnt the motherboard and Video card better on the computer #2?
Yes they are :)  but the PSU has to go on #2 A.S.A.P.
m
l
July 21, 2012 12:07:12 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Yes they are :)  but the PSU has to go on #2 A.S.A.P.

Why? Will it cause anything negative to the system
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2012 12:08:32 AM

Danny51 said:
Why? Will it cause anything negative to the system
It's very possible it could kill your whole rig but i can't say for sure :??: 
m
l
July 21, 2012 12:56:56 AM

bigcyco1 said:

The power supply wont give needed energy? It can blow the system?
m
l
July 21, 2012 1:10:22 AM

bigcyco1 said:

That's completely Ridiculous!!! Nothing will happen except provide needed power to the parts of the system!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2012 3:15:54 AM

dingo07 said:
That's completely Ridiculous!!! Nothing will happen except provide needed power to the parts of the system!
Dude grow the hell up!It's very possible your rank says enough as to why you say something so stupid
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2012 3:16:59 AM

Danny51 said:
The power supply wont give needed energy? It can blow the system?
it's not a for sure thing it's just that PSU is not reliable doesn't mean it will die just i am suggesting you replace it
m
l
July 21, 2012 3:26:32 AM

bigcyco1 said:
It's very possible it could kill your whole rig....

Please explain to all of us here, exactly how this can happen...???

and who the heck is looking at "rank" - this is a forum to provide positive information in helping people fix issues - rank has Absolutely NOTHING to do with that!!!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2012 4:17:59 AM

dingo07 said:

and who the heck is looking at "rank" - this is a forum to provide positive information in helping people fix issues - rank has Absolutely NOTHING to do with that!!!
There no need to explain anything to you google is your friend :lol:  and the rank comment apply to you saying it's completely Ridiculous it's possible and the fact you say it's not is not helpful and you gain rank by knowing what your talking about and being helpful.
m
l
July 21, 2012 4:46:58 AM

I completely agree with bigcyco1 you don't want that PSU the brand just isn't a good one. Dingo007 when you talk like that it just seems like you have no clue as you are a new member. SeaSonic is one of the best where Xion is one that once you know what you're doing you try to stay away from.

Think of the PSU as a rocket engine. If it works the system works and your PC goes on. If it's a cheap one the entire system may work for a while but if it fails (which is more likely that with a proven good brand, as Xion has put out some shoddy parts in the past) and goes boom you can go from being down one part (that initially saved you a little bit) to the more expensive parts in your new expensive computer being destroyed.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2012 2:16:38 PM

dingo07 said:

Here you go Tier 5 - NOT RECOMMENDED. Replace ASAP if you have one. XION is on the list of the worst of the worst now i suggest you think twice before you tell somebody on this forum bad advice what if that OP would of listened to your bs you could of ended up costing them allot of money :pfff:  http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
m
l
July 21, 2012 4:35:23 PM

Look, this bickering serves no purpose at all, but I never said anything about the brand people! HellO! Do either of you (Bigcyco1/andrewcarr) actually understand what you read! The issue I have is with this statement:
bigcyco1 said:

You STILL haven't justified your statement!

Regardless of the fact it Is a Terrible brand, and knowing that it would be replaced based on that fact, you (Bigcyco1) still need to justify how you can say it would possibly kill the system. At the very least it probably wouldn't provide nearly as much power as advertised and definitely isn't efficient. Even if it provides 500W out of the 850W advertised, it's still enough for the components.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2012 4:42:14 PM

dingo07 said:
Look, this bickering serves no purpose at all, but I never said anything about the brand people! HellO! Do either of you (Bigcyco1/andrewcarr) actually understand what you read! The issue I have is with this statement:

Regardless of the fact it Is a Terrible brand, and knowing that it would be replaced based on that fact, you (Bigcyco1) still need to justify how you can say it would possibly kill the system. At the very least it probably wouldn't provide nearly as much power as advertised and definitely isn't efficient. Even if it provides 500W out of the 850W advertised, it's still enough for the components.
No... no... noob time for you to zip it done wasting time with you i am here to help the other person you wasted enough of everybody time argue with somebody else
m
l
July 21, 2012 8:38:18 PM

dingo07 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP8nFQYQW34

At the very least it wouldn't provide enough power?

What's the most it would do?

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2012 9:06:02 PM

corsair is good stuff.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 23, 2012 3:14:57 AM

hell yeah my 850w enthusiast series is flawless and makes no sound
m
l
July 23, 2012 3:36:46 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
corsair is good stuff.

It sure is! That's why I use it too!

@Macten - I have no idea what you're referring to - I never said anything about Corsair, and if you can read my signature below every post of mine you'll see I use a Corsair
m
l
July 23, 2012 3:39:59 AM

I have no idea what your referring to, I never said you said anything about Corsair. I was just posting a video of a PSU nearly catching fire and wondering how in the world the least it can do is not supply enough power. I'd say with a cheap PSU, made with cheap components coupled with some crazy things I've seen electricity do, it could get a whole lot worse than just not supplying enough power.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 23, 2012 3:57:17 AM

HAHAHAHA yeah i just went to the botom of the thread and saw thats good *** so i posted HELL YES :lol: 
m
l
July 23, 2012 4:36:59 AM

Understood, but the PS is 850W, nowhere near the amount that would be used even if it held up at 50% efficiency.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 23, 2012 5:27:22 AM

macten said:
I have no idea what your referring to, I never said you said anything about Corsair. I was just posting a video of a PSU nearly catching fire and wondering how in the world the least it can do is not supply enough power. I'd say with a cheap PSU, made with cheap components coupled with some crazy things I've seen electricity do, it could get a whole lot worse than just not supplying enough power.
:lol:  ;) 
m
l
July 24, 2012 10:38:55 AM

bigcyco1 said:

What a ridiculous thing to say. You obviously don't know much about PSUs and electricity.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2012 10:46:33 AM

killerclick said:
What a ridiculous thing to say. You obviously don't know much about PSUs and electricity.
Be quiet we have already gone down that road i know allot more than you do obviously.
m
l
July 24, 2012 1:44:47 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Be quiet we have already gone down that road i know allot more than you do obviously.

You Don't Know Jack!!!

and you STILL haven't explained your Ridiculous statement!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2012 2:01:23 PM

dingo07 said:
You Don't Know Jack!!!

Put the pipe down noob nobody is talking to you! :kaola: 
m
l
July 24, 2012 2:02:56 PM

dingo07 said:
You Don't Know Jack!!!

Components inside a computer aren't self regulation the power supply is supposed to control the amount of power that it is sending to each component and if the power supply is malfunctioning some times its inverters or caps will blow allowing as much power as the wires will handle to go to the components that the power supply is connected to. This is a very rare occurrence but can sometimes still happen with badly manufactured PSU's. The power supply in the OP's second build is a bad brand that doesn't back up their product, has horrible product testing policies, and is most certainly a brand of PSU that could fall prey to internal power surges I spoke of earlier. I am a computer repair technician and I see cases of this quite often with first time computer builders that skimp on their power supplies to save money. Please do some research before you angrily and childishly respond to someone who probably knows what they are talking about.
m
l
July 24, 2012 2:26:01 PM

PsyonicComputers said:
Components inside a computer aren't self regulation the power supply is supposed to control the amount of power that it is sending to each component and if the power supply is malfunctioning some times its inverters or caps will blow allowing as much power as the wires will handle to go to the components that the power supply is connected to. This is a very rare occurrence but can sometimes still happen with badly manufactured PSU's. The power supply in the OP's second build is a bad brand that doesn't back up their product, has horrible product testing policies, and is most certainly a brand of PSU that could fall prey to internal power surges I spoke of earlier. I am a computer repair technician and I see cases of this quite often with first time computer builders that skimp on their power supplies to save money. Please do some research before you angrily and childishly respond to someone who probably knows what they are talking about.

And that is understood mr computer repair technician... except it's an 850W unit. So, you're saying the 310W peak (probably) that the computer would need, would blow the power supply, and kill the computer. THAT is Ridiculous! I could understand if it was a 400W unit, or even (stretching it a bit here) a 450W unit, I would agree to some degree.

What you're talking about has about as much probability as getting struck by lighting!
m
l
August 3, 2012 4:39:11 AM

It amazes me just how stupid some people can be. Would you (Dingo07) be willing to run your current build on a cheap brand PSU and trust it for a long time?
m
l
!