Upgrade from Fx-6200 to Fx-8350 Worth IT?

zaneusb

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Hi, I was wondering if upgrading from the fx 6200 to the 8350 would be worth the money? I use the pc to game, and I want to run BF3 multiplayer on ultra, to give an example of what I use it for. Is it worth the upgrade or should I wait for steamroller? I sometimes feel that the 6200 doesnt OC well enough, and isn't stable when OC'd. Thanks
Heres my rig
Fx 6200 OC'd to 4.1 GHz
AsRock 970 mobo
NVidia Gtx 660ti
8 GB Ram Patriot
2 TB WD green HDD
I Have 5 fans in the case.
750 Watt Power supply

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
considering the bf3 multipayer aspect the 8350 may be worth it in the same sense that an 8120 or 8150 would be worth it - extra threads. but for general solo gaming i can't see any real improvement. the oc issues may be due to the mobo & cpu hsf. i'm guessing it's at best the 970 extreme 4 which is only 4+1 phase vrm circutry + minimal vrm cooling. i remember even my ye olde asus q6600 mobo had better phases & cooling that that. what cooling solution do you have on the cpu?

zaneusb

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012

I just have the stock cooler on the cpu, but I was planning to upgrade to a better cooler. So no real difference huh? Should i just wait for steam roller?

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
well considering the mobo & stock cooler, i'd say that your difficulty attaining a stable oc is obvious. if you really want to hit those higher speeds it's time to invest in a more appropriate solution. or if your not bound by company loyalty i'd suggest a change to intel - if you're intent on upgrading anyway why not do the smart thing & switch over to a k series cpu & intel mobo? just a thought, one i'm sure will ensue endless amd fanboy rage. however intel cpu's are dominant in the current tom's cpu roundup for a reason, they offer better bang for your buck.

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
No, in fact I'd "downgrade" to the Phenom X4 965 Black, it's AMD best gaming processor, by far, it overclocks much better than any FX, and it is more optimized for gaming, whereas FX are server processors.

If you look at 3DMark11 and benchmarks in popular games the X4 Black 965 consistently beats the FX-8350 even, the only areas where FX win is heavily multithreaded tasks, which is what they were designed for anyways. Also, the 965 Is only 85 dollars.

BTW FX have horrible OC too(if you look at reviews for many people the FX 8350 BSODs at even stock settings), the 965 OC'd is roughly equivalent to i5 2500k. Also stock FX have horrible coolers, you basically need water cooling to manage all that heat.

@Land, sorry, you're the idiot here, care to look at benchmarks, the FX only beat the Phenom X4 965 Black in heavily threaded tasks, in 2-3 threaded tasks like gaming, Phenom wins due to it's better OC capability and per core performance.