Solved

$600 gaming build - 1st time build

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Within the next month

Budget Range: $600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) CPU, MOBO, RAM, DVD drive. I have a Corsair 450W VX PSU & Rosewill Challenger Black gaming ATX Mid tower Computer case.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes / No
YES,I plan to buy WINDOWS 7 Professional - Student Price of $64

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anywhere, I also live near a Microcenter.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type Best bang for my buck, but also upgradeable

Overclocking: NO

SLI or Crossfire: NO

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: This will mostly be used for gaming and web surfing - I would like to run BF3 on High settings if possible. Also D3

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I am building my first computer for gaming.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming build time build
  1. Honestly, I just need some ideas on the best I can do. I have looked at I3 2120 & I5, plus AMD as well and am kind of lost as far as the best I can do. I was hoping you guys can give me some ideas. Thanks!
  2. With microcenter if you buy an i5-2500K you get $50 off on a Z77 motherboard. My advice is to get a $100 board for $50 like this one http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0388327

And that would be $230 total before tax, in store pickup only.

Then get yourself 8GB of RAM ($45)
    HD7850 ($230)
    And a 500GB HDD ($60)

This is what I would do if I lived near a MC. It might push you over your budget though so you could go with a cheaper GPU. I would definately go for the i5 and board for $230 though because people like me that live nowhere near a MC have to pay $230 for just the i5!!!
  3. Consider these.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cCZ9

Total: $637.51 After MIR - $50 (Microcenter offers $50 off for buying i5 3570k with a z77 mobo in a combo deal.)

New total: $587.51

Notes: 450W will leave very little wiggle room for OCing. I'm pretty sure the Win 7 student deal is upgrade only. During installation it may say your key isn't valid for a fresh install. You may want to verify that.
  4. I'm not really worried about OCing at this point. With that said, will the 450W do the trick for the set up you recommended.

Thanks!
  5. Yes it will.
  6. You think I should go with the 3570k from MC or the 2500K or even the I5 3450. It looks like that may save me a few bucks.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966995+39
  7. Best answer
    The mobo combo savings does not apply to the i5-3450.

I also recommend the i5-3570k over the 2500k, because the 3570k is faster at the same clock speed. It really depends on if you think that $20 savings is worth it.
  8. Best answer selected by jmac83085.
  9. Thanks, Bro!
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems