Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade from 955 to 3570k

Last response: in CPUs
December 1, 2012 6:41:43 PM

Hey guys I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade from my 955 to a 3570k. I just picked up a 7950 and it's got me wanting to upgrade other things now lol. So would I see a huge increase in performance by making the switch?

More about : upgrade 955 3570k

a b à CPUs
December 1, 2012 6:47:56 PM

Hi :) 

That depends on your definition of HUGE, but better yes, huge no...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
December 1, 2012 6:53:16 PM

I only use my rig for gaming so that's where I'm looking for the increase. By huge I mean a noticable improvement and one that is justifiable for what it will cost me. If it's not going to give me a good boost in gaming then I'll hold out till something better comes along.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2012 6:56:19 PM

blaze309 said:
I only use my rig for gaming so that's where I'm looking for the increase. By huge I mean a noticable improvement and one that is justifiable for what it will cost me. If it's not going to give me a good boost in gaming then I'll hold out till something better comes along.

Nice upgrade yes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

3570k is about 10% better than a 2500k.

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2012 6:58:37 PM

it's certainly an improvement, but as to whether you are able to utilize it & notice any gains depends entirely on the applications you are running. if it's just used for some web browsing, the occasional old game & email i can't see any benifit. but for new & upcoming gaming titles i can certainly see a benifit - how much of one i think depends on how far you already have the 955 pushed & how far you are willing to push the 3570k.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2012 7:14:04 PM

jpoos said:
it's certainly an improvement, but as to whether you are able to utilize it & notice any gains depends entirely on the applications you are running. if it's just used for some web browsing, the occasional old game & email i can't see any benifit. but for new & upcoming gaming titles i can certainly see a benifit - how much of one i think depends on how far you already have the 955 pushed & how far you are willing to push the 3570k.

Well how much of a difference is there between a 955 and a 3570k in gaming?

The 955 at 4ghz, basically maxed out for most people, is trading blows with a i3.

So yeah... Quite a difference.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

When looking at the benches, keep in mind the 3570k is 10% better than the 2500k at equal clock.

m
l
December 1, 2012 7:16:34 PM

I'll certainly be playing newer titles. I'm only running my 955 at 3.5ghz. I'm aircooled so never really cared or tried to push it more. I'll oc the 3570 as well but how much depends on temps. I may look into getting a corsair h100 or something.
m
l
December 1, 2012 7:28:35 PM

I'm pretty set on getting one now. I just need to find a motherboard now.
m
l
!