Is my case cooling sufficient?

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I have a corsair 500r. i have 2 front 120mm intake fans and a rear 120mm exhaust fan... Ive taken of the side 200mm intake as the side grill has no dust filter and the fan speed controller on the case is only a 3-way controller and the rear 120 is really loud if i dont use a fan controller.

Im buying a GTX 660 TI,
I have my eye on a Asus GTX 660 Ti Direct CUII OC
but it exhausts hot air inside the case. Will that heat up the ambient temperature inside the case? (which ultimately means increasing fan speeds to control temp. = Loud )

If that happens ill have to buy an EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2
This has a closed shroud cooler which exhausts air out the back of the case but still has 2 fans.

Even if im okay with the Asus card, Will the EVGA be better? That'll solve all the problems
Unfortunately there are not many reviews on the EVGA card yet :(

Which card would you choose for my needs?(quiet, cool and good customer support all over the world as i live in india)

Thanks everyone in advance :D

Solution
I'll second that hyper 212 evo, if you want you can also choose a more cheaper alternative. The Hyper TX3 which should cool your stock clocks very good. Anyways prime 95 stresses out your processor to the max and its unlikely you can achieve those temperatures doing the stuff you do. I can game for 8 hours straight and I can't surpass over 50 degrees compared to prime 95 giving me high 50's when stress testing my phenom ii x4 955.

Anyways that being said:

Hyper 212 plus (very cheap, grab it over the TX3 if you can order from here or find similar price)
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-B10212&show=w

and TX3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064
(will perform a bit worse than 212 since it cools...

socialfox

Distinguished
Well just personal preference, I like the Asus card better. You should not really worry about the hot air exhausted from the card since you have positive airflow which will move the hot air away quickly. Anyways you could put the side panel fan back if its not too loud, it will help greatly with the video card since it will blow cool air on the card IF positioned around the card.

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

The side fan is not loud, the rear 120mm is. I need to use the fan controller for the rear 120. I can directly wire the side 200 on the motherboard but then i cannot switch off the White LED's on it :(

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
^^ Will i be Okay without adding that fan? My CPU isnt OC'ed and its using the stock intel cooler.

Idle temps: 40-45 Celsius
100% Load: 83-87 Celcius (fan on low speed)

I rarely go up to 100% load though. Highest ive gone while video editing is about 75% load.

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

I ran the test with fan speeds at 2400rpm (prime 95) again for 10mins and its just under 80 celsius (100% Load) the previous test was when the fan speed was 1200rpm.
Alot of people using the 3770 with the stock cooler are getting temps similar as mine.

Idle temps at 2400rpm is 35-40C
People say that the highest temperature that Ivy Bridge can handle 105C

Would I really need to use an aftermarket cooler? (Can you recommend a cheap one? for about $30? It has to be quiet though...)

When i edit video the temps are : 60-63C
I never do anything more demanding that HD video editing...

prototype18

Distinguished

Well 68C is ok.But Hyper 212 Evo would be way better. But add that fan on rear. The hot air need to go out somewhere !

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

There is a rear fan... Its a 120mm.
The fan i removed is a side panel 200mm fan...
Now i have 2 intakes and 1 exhaust.

Should if i decide to buy a new cooler, should i buy a hyper 212 evo or 2 120mm fans that i can add at the top of my case? Or should i save up for a water-cooling radiator?

prototype18

Distinguished
Well add 2 top fans and than add water cooling to the CPU.

But before tell me the ambient Temp.

If they are high get water cooling. If they normal get hyper 212 Evo as you can toch 4.5 Ghz easily.

Btw your cpu is K or non K ?

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

Its nob-K so i cant OC.
Ambient temp is 20C at night and about 25C during the day.

socialfox

Distinguished
I'll second that hyper 212 evo, if you want you can also choose a more cheaper alternative. The Hyper TX3 which should cool your stock clocks very good. Anyways prime 95 stresses out your processor to the max and its unlikely you can achieve those temperatures doing the stuff you do. I can game for 8 hours straight and I can't surpass over 50 degrees compared to prime 95 giving me high 50's when stress testing my phenom ii x4 955.

Anyways that being said:

Hyper 212 plus (very cheap, grab it over the TX3 if you can order from here or find similar price)
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-B10212&show=w

and TX3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064
(will perform a bit worse than 212 since it cools using 92mm not 120mm. As you can see they are both the same price and so you should go with the 212 plus. Typically I find the 212 plus/evo for 34.99 but it looks like its on sale on superbiz.

Either way 212 evo and tx3 will do a much better job cooling your processor, in fact I think the tx3 does not need a backplate.

Also if you are considering watercooling go custom rather than pre-made closed loop water coolers, they perform like high end air coolers.

Solution

socialfox

Distinguished

Depends on the fans actually, there are silent fans available. In addition, if two fans have a noise level of 25 dba it does not mean it will produce 50 dba of noise but rather something along 26-30 dba.

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

Do i really need a new cooler? as ive exceeded my budget by $200 :(
Is 60C Okay? Will it reduce the the life of my PC?
If i need to upgrade then ill go with and Asus GTX 660 TI OC and a Hyper 212 EVO.

socialfox

Distinguished
No 60 is fine, you could however re-work the fan setup or get more powerful/efficient fans.

Let us know the model and brand of your fan and their orientation and where they are. By orientation I mean intake or exhaust and their location is either bottom, front, top , rear or side.