Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is my case cooling sufficient?

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 6:43:40 PM

I have a corsair 500r. i have 2 front 120mm intake fans and a rear 120mm exhaust fan... Ive taken of the side 200mm intake as the side grill has no dust filter and the fan speed controller on the case is only a 3-way controller and the rear 120 is really loud if i dont use a fan controller.

Im buying a GTX 660 TI,
I have my eye on a Asus GTX 660 Ti Direct CUII OC
but it exhausts hot air inside the case. Will that heat up the ambient temperature inside the case? (which ultimately means increasing fan speeds to control temp. = Loud )

If that happens ill have to buy an EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2
This has a closed shroud cooler which exhausts air out the back of the case but still has 2 fans.

Even if im okay with the Asus card, Will the EVGA be better? That'll solve all the problems
Unfortunately there are not many reviews on the EVGA card yet :( 

Which card would you choose for my needs?(quiet, cool and good customer support all over the world as i live in india)

Thanks everyone in advance :D 
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 8:56:54 PM

If your worried about the asus temps you can reinstall the side fan and use one of the magnetic filters for it. But you should be ok with temps as is imo but alot depends on how slow you are running the fans.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 8:56:57 PM

Well just personal preference, I like the Asus card better. You should not really worry about the hot air exhausted from the card since you have positive airflow which will move the hot air away quickly. Anyways you could put the side panel fan back if its not too loud, it will help greatly with the video card since it will blow cool air on the card IF positioned around the card.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 5:32:16 AM

socialfox said:
Well just personal preference, I like the Asus card better. You should not really worry about the hot air exhausted from the card since you have positive airflow which will move the hot air away quickly. Anyways you could put the side panel fan back if its not too loud, it will help greatly with the video card since it will blow cool air on the card IF positioned around the card.

The side fan is not loud, the rear 120mm is. I need to use the fan controller for the rear 120. I can directly wire the side 200 on the motherboard but then i cannot switch off the White LED's on it :( 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 5:40:31 AM

^^ Will i be Okay without adding that fan? My CPU isnt OC'ed and its using the stock intel cooler.

Idle temps: 40-45 Celsius
100% Load: 83-87 Celcius (fan on low speed)

I rarely go up to 100% load though. Highest ive gone while video editing is about 75% load.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 10:58:56 AM

Well that 87 is pretty high. I never touched 40C.

And yes use that fan.I removed my rear fan for 1 day (waiting for the other one to ship) and temp raised by 5 C.Its an exhaust so yes u need that.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 12:32:06 PM

+1^ those temperatures are quite high for the stock cooler. Your going to want all the fans you can place. Also check if the cooler is making proper contact.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 12:49:32 PM

socialfox said:
+1^ those temperatures are quite high for the stock cooler. Your going to want all the fans you can place. Also check if the cooler is making proper contact.

I ran the test with fan speeds at 2400rpm (prime 95) again for 10mins and its just under 80 celsius (100% Load) the previous test was when the fan speed was 1200rpm.
Alot of people using the 3770 with the stock cooler are getting temps similar as mine.

Idle temps at 2400rpm is 35-40C
People say that the highest temperature that Ivy Bridge can handle 105C

Would I really need to use an aftermarket cooler? (Can you recommend a cheap one? for about $30? It has to be quiet though...)

When i edit video the temps are : 60-63C
I never do anything more demanding that HD video editing...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 12:53:49 PM

timarp000 said:
I ran the test with fan speeds at 2400rpm (prime 95) again for 10mins and its just under 80 celsius (100% Load) the previous test was when the fan speed was 1200rpm.
Alot of people using the 3770 with the stock cooler are getting temps similar as mine.

Idle temps at 2400rpm is 35-40C
People say that the highest temperature that Ivy Bridge can handle 105C

Would I really need to use an aftermarket cooler? (Can you recommend a cheap one? for about $30? It has to be quiet though...)

When i edit video the temps are : 60-63C
I never do anything more demanding that HD video editing...

Well 68C is ok.But Hyper 212 Evo would be way better. But add that fan on rear. The hot air need to go out somewhere !
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 1:06:05 PM

prototype18 said:
Well 68C is ok.But Hyper 212 Evo would be way better. But add that fan on rear. The hot air need to go out somewhere !

There is a rear fan... Its a 120mm.
The fan i removed is a side panel 200mm fan...
Now i have 2 intakes and 1 exhaust.

Should if i decide to buy a new cooler, should i buy a hyper 212 evo or 2 120mm fans that i can add at the top of my case? Or should i save up for a water-cooling radiator?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 1:08:03 PM

Well add 2 top fans and than add water cooling to the CPU.

But before tell me the ambient Temp.

If they are high get water cooling. If they normal get hyper 212 Evo as you can toch 4.5 Ghz easily.

Btw your cpu is K or non K ?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 1:10:09 PM

prototype18 said:
Well add 2 top fans and than add water cooling to the CPU.

But before tell me the ambient Temp.

If they are high get water cooling. If they normal get hyper 212 Evo as you can toch 4.5 Ghz easily.

Btw your cpu is K or non K ?

Its nob-K so i cant OC.
Ambient temp is 20C at night and about 25C during the day.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 1:11:49 PM

I'll second that hyper 212 evo, if you want you can also choose a more cheaper alternative. The Hyper TX3 which should cool your stock clocks very good. Anyways prime 95 stresses out your processor to the max and its unlikely you can achieve those temperatures doing the stuff you do. I can game for 8 hours straight and I can't surpass over 50 degrees compared to prime 95 giving me high 50's when stress testing my phenom ii x4 955.

Anyways that being said:

Hyper 212 plus (very cheap, grab it over the TX3 if you can order from here or find similar price)
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-B10212&sho...

and TX3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(will perform a bit worse than 212 since it cools using 92mm not 120mm. As you can see they are both the same price and so you should go with the 212 plus. Typically I find the 212 plus/evo for 34.99 but it looks like its on sale on superbiz.

Either way 212 evo and tx3 will do a much better job cooling your processor, in fact I think the tx3 does not need a backplate.

Also if you are considering watercooling go custom rather than pre-made closed loop water coolers, they perform like high end air coolers.
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 1:11:59 PM

But 2 more fans would just make the PC louder :( 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 1:14:04 PM

timarp000 said:
But 2 more fans would just make the PC louder :( 

Depends on the fans actually, there are silent fans available. In addition, if two fans have a noise level of 25 dba it does not mean it will produce 50 dba of noise but rather something along 26-30 dba.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 1:16:37 PM

socialfox said:
I'll second that hyper 212 evo, if you want you can also choose a more cheaper alternative. The Hyper TX3 which should cool your stock clocks very good. Anyways prime 95 stresses out your processor to the max and its unlikely you can achieve those temperatures doing the stuff you do. I can game for 8 hours straight and I can't surpass over 50 degrees compared to prime 95 giving me high 50's when stress testing my phenom ii x4 955.

Anyways that being said:

Hyper 212 plus (very cheap, grab it over the TX3 if you can order from here or find similar price)
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-B10212&sho...

and TX3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(will perform a bit worse than 212 since it cools using 92mm not 120mm. As you can see they are both the same price and so you should go with the 212 plus. Typically I find the 212 plus/evo for 34.99 but it looks like its on sale on superbiz.

Either way 212 evo and tx3 will do a much better job cooling your processor, in fact I think the tx3 does not need a backplate.

Also if you are considering watercooling go custom rather than pre-made closed loop water coolers, they perform like high end air coolers.

Do i really need a new cooler? as ive exceeded my budget by $200 :( 
Is 60C Okay? Will it reduce the the life of my PC?
If i need to upgrade then ill go with and Asus GTX 660 TI OC and a Hyper 212 EVO.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 1:18:30 PM

No 60 is fine, you could however re-work the fan setup or get more powerful/efficient fans.

Let us know the model and brand of your fan and their orientation and where they are. By orientation I mean intake or exhaust and their location is either bottom, front, top , rear or side.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 1:19:58 PM

Cougar Vortex ! Deadly silent and very good . Moves a lot of air.

60C is great. And go for Hyper 212 Evo
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 1:29:05 PM

Okay, now i have to choose between a Hyper 212 Evo or 2 Noctua NF-P12's as Top Exhausts...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 1:36:16 PM

IMO get they Hyper 212 Evo. It will cool your CPU better than the noctual will !
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 1:39:32 PM

Yep, a cpu cooler will cool the processor much better than two fans.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 1:55:36 PM

socialfox said:
Yep, a cpu cooler will cool the processor much better than two fans.

Now i already have a stock cooler installed. How to i take that off and how do i clean off the thermalpaste?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 2:00:19 PM

Youtube can help you. Its not that hard :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 2:26:30 PM

prototype18 said:
Youtube can help you. Its not that hard :) 

I saw some youtube videos. to remove the thermal paste they use rubbing alcohol...
Can i use acetone(nail-polish remover) instead?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 2:31:37 PM

I have corsair vengeance RAM and its really tall. Can i still fit the EVO without interfering with the ram?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 2:35:01 PM

I would not risk using acetone, from personal experience it is very harsh on lots of things. Heck, once I spilled it on a plastic toy and the outer shell of the car kind of melted or was worn away. I did use water free hand sanitizer and cotton swabs to clean my processor and heatsink several times when I was too lazy to grab isopropyl alcohol at my drug store.

You could use the acetone but too much of a liabilty, spill it on the motherboard and who knows what happens.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 2:39:26 PM

socialfox said:
I would not risk using acetone, from personal experience it is very harsh on lots of things. Heck, once I spilled it on a plastic toy and the outer shell of the car kind of melted or was worn away. I did use water free hand sanitizer and cotton swabs to clean my processor and heatsink several times when I was too lazy to grab isopropyl alcohol at my drug store.

You could use the acetone but too much of a liabilty, spill it on the motherboard and who knows what happens.

Can had sanitizer work? Properly?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 2:49:36 PM

Worked fine for me, it was water free and with cotton swabs it cleaned it very well. Either way the proper thing to do is get isopropyl alcohol. I only used hand sanitizer because I had finished the alcohol, and needed an alternative. Anyways I hope your using 2 modules? If so just use the 2nd and 4th slot and you may be good to go with the 212 evo. Just on a side note, those heatsinks on ram is mostly for aesthetics, next time just go low profile ram or no heatsink at all.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 2:51:17 PM

Well i clean it with wet paper (u know they that are packed already with wet)

And you should place the ram in slot a2,b2 so they can fit :) 

But im using now Hyper 212 and ripjaws X.I just lifted a bit the fan and they fit perfectly :D 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 3:00:55 PM

prototype18 said:
Well i clean it with wet paper (u know they that are packed already with wet)

And you should place the ram in slot a2,b2 so they can fit :) 

But im using now Hyper 212 and ripjaws X.I just lifted a bit the fan and they fit perfectly :D 

Its currently installed in the 2nd and 4th slot (left to right)
Can it cause problems if i want to upgrade my ram?
Can i move the cooler fan to the other side?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 3:16:09 PM

Moving the fan to the other side makes you pull air rather than push. The processor will not be affected that much but I believe you will be exhausting the warm air in your case not through the rear fan.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 3:44:55 PM

Alright! Thanks! Socialfox and Prototype18

So finally, I should buy a Hyper 212 EVO and and ASUS GTX 660 Ti DCU2 OC.

Thanks again :p 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 3:47:33 PM

Yep you should buy those two, anyways glad we were able to help :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 3:51:49 PM

socialfox said:
Yep you should buy those two, anyways glad we were able to help :) 

One last question. just curious. When i add the new cooler, by how much will the temps drop?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 8:39:41 PM

Well i have that cooler. Before i was on 70C on load now they never touched 40C.

That is big difference
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2012 8:32:37 AM

Best answer selected by timarp000.
m
l
!