Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Roleplaying Servers

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 10:50:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

I think that if Blizz adds a new RP Server I am going to give it a try.
I used to think of RP Servers as a breeding ground for Uber Nerds, but
I think my ignorance needs a slap in the face. I feel that a RP Server
will have a more "mature" crowd and I like the Cidea of people
Roleplaying their characters and adding more depth to the game.
So does anyone here play on a current RP Server, and if so what has
been your experience so far ?

Thanks

More about : roleplaying servers

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:51:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

My experience with an RP server is on Argent Dawn where I have a Night
Elf Hunter that's now reached level 47,

As a hunter he kept to himself, slowing levelling through the areas,
Teldrassil, Darkshore, Ashenvale, Stonetalon, Desolace, Stranglethorn
Vale, Tanaris, etc, his skinning and leatherworking skills always
outpacing his actual level. (He didn't get into a guild until level 42
when, mounted, he was helping defend Astranaar and a group he joined
set out to attack Splintertree Post.)

Otherwise, on Argent Dawn, the General channel chatter ranged from the
typical 13 year-old up-past-bedtime banter in the beginning areas to
discussions of Windows XP vs Apple's operating system in the higher
level areas. (I was spit on by a dwarf once as I attempted to help
kill the beast attacking him. Go figure. Maybe he was really role
playing the age-old anomosity between the tall and the short races. Or
he was just a ^%#$#.)

I wouldn't say the RP server are more mature than a PVP or mere PVE
server. Maybe slightly because the folks did actually make that
decision to go on an RP server.

My other characters are a level 42 Night Elf Rogue and a level 33
Tauren Shaman, both on PVP servers. General chat remains the same but
I'm in a tight guild now with the Shaman and I really enjoy myself. I
have to ignore the general chat sometimes but overall I see nothing
lesser than what I found on my old RP server.

For example when the Alliance are defending farmers in Hillsbrad, the
word goes out, heroes ride out to assist the younger levels, and the
world is at war. As it should be. :) 

As I see it, and my experience has so been, people are the same across
the servers. (I'll also add I've noticed that the RP/PVE servers are
mostly Alliance, and the PVP servers are mostly Horde, but that's just
my perception. It speaks to human nature as well.)

So, IMHO, RP servers aren't all Uebers Nerds, PVE/PVP servers aren't
all l33t kids. It's individual experience and perception. Try one out
and get a feel. If you enjoy the game, super. If not, try another
server perhaps. And a good, friendly guild helps.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:44:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

nvrsbr wrote:
> I think that if Blizz adds a new RP Server I am going to give it a try.
> I used to think of RP Servers as a breeding ground for Uber Nerds, but
> I think my ignorance needs a slap in the face. I feel that a RP Server
> will have a more "mature" crowd and I like the Cidea of people
> Roleplaying their characters and adding more depth to the game.
> So does anyone here play on a current RP Server, and if so what has
> been your experience so far ?

I posted about my own experience on North American RP realms before,
links below. But I also wanted to point something out:

The way you play the game will probably have an influence on your
roleplaying. The more hardcore people I know don't roleplay at all
even though they picked this kind of server. This is really because
they don't have time to- they spend a LOT of time grouped and doing
really intense things and it's difficult to avoid speaking about game
mechanics when you're trying to issue orders during a fight. There are
certainly exceptions to this- some of them post here even- but that
takes a notable amount of creativity/energy to maintain.

The people who roleplay the most are the socializers; the ones who hang
out in Goldshire long after they've completed all nearby quests.

I'm somewhere in between. I never use elite speak, but I don't sit
around in the tavern and spin fanciful tales in Elizabethan English
either. Also my characters mostly resemble me in personality, if not
in appearance. Plus, even though I've sometimes chosen to play female
characters in single-player RPGs/action titles (the whole butt-cam
deal), I ONLY have male toons in WoW. Regardless of the fact that 60%
of all female Night Elves in WoW are played by guys, people still treat
the woman characters differently, and that would just make me feel
awkward.

As for my personal experiences on North American RP realms:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W22B5324B

-or-

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.games.warcraft/...

--
*** In World of Warcraft (North America Realms) ***
Gavvyn, Human Paladin on Earthen Ring <Shadow Brigade>
Marasmus, Night Elf Warrior on Cenarion Circle <Kalimdor Crusaders>
Mazona, Human Warlock on Cenarion Circle <Unorthodox Knights>
Schattenlurk, Night Elf Rogue on Earthen Ring <Dark Justice>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:50:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

moif wrote:
> "nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:1118757051.262055.58290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
> > I think that if Blizz adds a new RP Server I am going to give it a
> > try. I used to think of RP Servers as a breeding ground for Uber
> > Nerds, but I think my ignorance needs a slap in the face. I feel that
> > a RP Server will have a more "mature" crowd and I like the Cidea of
> > people Roleplaying their characters and adding more depth to the game.
> > So does anyone here play on a current RP Server, and if so what has
> > been your experience so far ?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Get yourself an EU version of the game :) 

Haha. I've seen the EU official forums. European players are NO
DIFFERENT from us stupid Americans! :p 
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:06:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

> Haha. I've seen the EU official forums. European players are NO
> DIFFERENT from us stupid Americans! :p 

I have to disagree with you there, the EU Forums are a heck of allot
better than the NA ones.
Its like night and day.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:28:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

nvrsbr wrote:
> So does anyone here play on a current RP Server, and if so what has
> been your experience so far ?

Hunter 60 Cenarion Circle

My experience can be summed up in 2 statements:

* Slower server maturity - The PvE aspects are conqured at a much slower
rate.
* More mature players - The lowbie areas aren't crowded with assclowns.
In general, pleople are kinder.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:23:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Thanks for the great post mikel...
I have never been a big PvP person so PvP Servers are not a first
choice for me. A Roleplaying Server is sounding more and more like
something I would enjoy.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:27:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

>> Haha. I've seen the EU official forums. European players are NO
>> DIFFERENT from us stupid Americans! :p 
>
>I have to disagree with you there, the EU Forums are a heck of allot
>better than the NA ones.
>Its like night and day.

Ya. They're probably smarter and better-looking too. But one thing I
know for sure, their grass is greener and does not need watering.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:33:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Actually Thanks to all of you that have posted :) 
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 7:58:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:1118757051.262055.58290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
> I think that if Blizz adds a new RP Server I am going to give it a
> try. I used to think of RP Servers as a breeding ground for Uber
> Nerds, but I think my ignorance needs a slap in the face. I feel that
> a RP Server will have a more "mature" crowd and I like the Cidea of
> people Roleplaying their characters and adding more depth to the game.
> So does anyone here play on a current RP Server, and if so what has
> been your experience so far ?
>
> Thanks

Get yourself an EU version of the game :) 

--
Moif of Bloodhoof <The Suffering>
http://www.wowrankings.com/viewb.htm?id=27138
June 15, 2005 12:01:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

nvrsbr wrote:
> I think that if Blizz adds a new RP Server I am going to give it a try.
> I used to think of RP Servers as a breeding ground for Uber Nerds, but
> I think my ignorance needs a slap in the face. I feel that a RP Server
> will have a more "mature" crowd and I like the Cidea of people
> Roleplaying their characters and adding more depth to the game.
> So does anyone here play on a current RP Server, and if so what has
> been your experience so far ?

I'm sort of an edge-case altoholic. I have about 25 characters on 5
servers, but some of them are high levels. 1 level 60, 1 level 48, a 39,
a 32, and a 31.

Six of my characters are on Bleeding Hollow, a PVP server.

Most of the rest (including my two highest levels) are on RP servers
(Feathermoon and Shadow Council).

The first difference I noticed between RP and PVP servers is that the
amount of asinine chat was noticeably greater on the PVP server. There
is a lot of it on the RP servers, to be sure, but even more on the PVP
server.

The next thing I noticed was that, while occasionally on an RP server
someone will be clueless about RP, on a PVP server any attempts to RP
are generally regarded as crack-brained lunacy. (I first created
characters on Bleeding Hollow because there was an RP/PVP guild there I
was interested in).

And the final difference I noticed, the one that has had the largest
effect on my gaming experience, both positive and negative, is that it
has been commonplace for me to have friendly interactions with the
opposing faction on the RP servers, whereas on the PVP server it is
virtually unheard-of.

On the RP servers, the opposing faction can attack you when you are in a
contested area, but I've rarely seen it. In fact, Gyrus, my level 60,
was never attacked by a member of the opposing faction except when
actively engaged in a raid or battle. Apart from those activities, I
only witnessed two such attacks (on other players) during Gyrus's whole
lifetime.

By contrast, my characters on the PVP server have never ventured into
contested territories without being attacked at least once, and usually
being ganked multiple times. I entirely gave up on questing in
Stranglethorn Vale as essentially a waste of time. Generally I am
attacked within 5 minutes of stepping outside Grom'gol.

On the RP servers when I meet a member of the opposing faction in a
contested territory, we are likely to wave to each other or salute.
Gyrus, a gnomish mage, actually teamed up with an Orc on one occasion
and a Tauren on another to complete gather quests in Felwood and
Winterspring. We communicated through gestures and emotes and took turns
tapping mobs and then assisting one another in dispatching them.

That is not going to happen on the PVP server. If you are foolish enough
on the PVP server to waste precious seconds attempting a friendly
overture, it is most likely to be interpreted as you saying "I am
suicidal. Please kill me quickly while I render myself defenseless."

This all sounds pretty negative toward the PVP server, and it is. So
what positive things do I have to say about it? If you want to get good
at PVP fighting, play on a PVP server. People are there to kill each
other and they get damn good at it. The level of skill in PVP is, I
think, noticeably higher on the PVP server than on the RP servers.
People are immersed all the time in the danger of being attacked at any
moment out of nowhere, and they adapt to it. They learn to fight and to
fight well.

In addition, the population on the PVP server is more balanced than on
the RP servers, where the Alliance tends to outnumber the Horde quite a
bit. I've posted before about the effect unbalanced populations seem to
have, but, briefly, when one side greatly outnumbers the other it seems
to become lazy and incompetent at battle, while at the same time the
lower population faction is constantly besieged.

I wouldn't recommend either style of server over the other; I play on
both, for different reasons. But I guess I would say that if you want to
develop characters in the sense of roleplaying and creating collective
fictions, then an RP server is much the better bet. By the same token,
if you are primarily interested in testing your skills by fighting
against other players, then a PVP server is the better bet.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:22:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

moif wrote:
> Ah yes, but here in our shiny clean NG it's a different story ;)  Plenty of
> EU players here that differ from the norm (I hope)!

Believe me, that's why we're ALL here.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 4:15:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Josh Mayfield" <ultibloo-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1118767847.741293.194950@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
> moif wrote:
>> "nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> news:1118757051.262055.58290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
>>> I think that if Blizz adds a new RP Server I am going to give it a
>>> try. I used to think of RP Servers as a breeding ground for Uber
>>> Nerds, but I think my ignorance needs a slap in the face. I feel
>>> that a RP Server will have a more "mature" crowd and I like the
>>> Cidea of people Roleplaying their characters and adding more depth
>>> to the game. So does anyone here play on a current RP Server, and
>>> if so what has been your experience so far ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> Get yourself an EU version of the game :) 
>
> Haha. I've seen the EU official forums. European players are NO
> DIFFERENT from us stupid Americans! :p 

Ah yes, but here in our shiny clean NG it's a different story ;)  Plenty of
EU players here that differ from the norm (I hope)!

--
Moif of Bloodhoof <The Suffering>
http://www.wowrankings.com/viewb.htm?id=27138
http://www.brightonbreaks.co.uk/blog/
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 3:51:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:01:43 GMT, mikel <mikel@evins.net> wrote:

>nvrsbr wrote:
>
>On the RP servers, the opposing faction can attack you when you are in a
>contested area, but I've rarely seen it. In fact, Gyrus, my level 60,
>was never attacked by a member of the opposing faction except when
>actively engaged in a raid or battle. Apart from those activities, I
>only witnessed two such attacks (on other players) during Gyrus's whole
>lifetime.
>

I agree with almost everything you say. I play my main on a RP server
and have also teamed up with Hordies to mutual benefit on quests :) .

It has to be said however that there is a marked difference in the
*story* on PvP and Normal/RP servers. On PvP severs the Alliance and
Horde are at WAR. Therefore it is your duty to thwart the enemy as
often as possible as long as you don't break the rules set by
Blizzard.

On RP servers however the Alliance and Horde are actually at peace
with one another, albeit a strained, fractious and uneasy peace. There
is therefore scope for even friendship with characters from the
opposing faction as well as outbreaks of violence and skirmishing.

If you do decide to play on a PvP server remember that you are at all
out *war* with the opposite faction and war entails killing, harrying
and frustrating the opposition to the best of your ability and that's
fine as long as Blizzard's rule set for PvP servers aren't being
breached.

The kind of player who does not like to be killed when in contested
areas really shouldn't be on a PvP server in the first place. Ganking,
which in my understanding means being killed over and over again by
players far higher level than you, should be far less common now that
dishonourable kills are being taken into account in calculating Honour
rankings.

BB.
June 19, 2005 4:15:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Barnacle Bill wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:01:43 GMT, mikel <mikel@evins.net> wrote:
>
> >nvrsbr wrote:
> >
> >On the RP servers, the opposing faction can attack you when you are in a
> >contested area, but I've rarely seen it. In fact, Gyrus, my level 60,
> >was never attacked by a member of the opposing faction except when
> >actively engaged in a raid or battle. Apart from those activities, I
> >only witnessed two such attacks (on other players) during Gyrus's whole
> >lifetime.
> >
>
> I agree with almost everything you say. I play my main on a RP server
> and have also teamed up with Hordies to mutual benefit on quests :) .
>
> It has to be said however that there is a marked difference in the
> *story* on PvP and Normal/RP servers. On PvP severs the Alliance and
> Horde are at WAR. Therefore it is your duty to thwart the enemy as
> often as possible as long as you don't break the rules set by
> Blizzard.
>
> On RP servers however the Alliance and Horde are actually at peace
> with one another, albeit a strained, fractious and uneasy peace. There
> is therefore scope for even friendship with characters from the
> opposing faction as well as outbreaks of violence and skirmishing.
>

Can you communicate verbally with the other side on RP servers?
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 4:54:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:15:01 GMT, RogerM
<rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>
>
>Barnacle Bill wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:01:43 GMT, mikel <mikel@evins.net> wrote:
>>
>> >nvrsbr wrote:
>> >
>> >On the RP servers, the opposing faction can attack you when you are in a
>> >contested area, but I've rarely seen it. In fact, Gyrus, my level 60,
>> >was never attacked by a member of the opposing faction except when
>> >actively engaged in a raid or battle. Apart from those activities, I
>> >only witnessed two such attacks (on other players) during Gyrus's whole
>> >lifetime.
>> >
>>
>> I agree with almost everything you say. I play my main on a RP server
>> and have also teamed up with Hordies to mutual benefit on quests :) .
>>
>> It has to be said however that there is a marked difference in the
>> *story* on PvP and Normal/RP servers. On PvP severs the Alliance and
>> Horde are at WAR. Therefore it is your duty to thwart the enemy as
>> often as possible as long as you don't break the rules set by
>> Blizzard.
>>
>> On RP servers however the Alliance and Horde are actually at peace
>> with one another, albeit a strained, fractious and uneasy peace. There
>> is therefore scope for even friendship with characters from the
>> opposing faction as well as outbreaks of violence and skirmishing.
>>
>
>Can you communicate verbally with the other side on RP servers?
>

No. It's the same as PvP servers. Emotes have to be used to form a
mutual understanding. Actually there is a list of emotes that mean
certain things that somebody worked out but it's not that hard if the
person you are communicating with is not a complete idiot. Waving,
smiling etc. usually means you want to friendly.

If you are both in a quest area and obviously doing the same quest it
isn't too hard to make it clear that you want to co-operate. They
attack one guard, you attack the other etc. Cheer when they make the
kill. Point at the next objective etc. Most switched on players will
catch on very quickly.

BB.
June 19, 2005 7:53:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Barnacle Bill wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:01:43 GMT, mikel <mikel@evins.net> wrote:
>
>
>>nvrsbr wrote:
>>
>>On the RP servers, the opposing faction can attack you when you are in a
>>contested area, but I've rarely seen it. In fact, Gyrus, my level 60,
>>was never attacked by a member of the opposing faction except when
>>actively engaged in a raid or battle. Apart from those activities, I
>>only witnessed two such attacks (on other players) during Gyrus's whole
>>lifetime.
>>
>
>
> I agree with almost everything you say. I play my main on a RP server
> and have also teamed up with Hordies to mutual benefit on quests :) .
>
> It has to be said however that there is a marked difference in the
> *story* on PvP and Normal/RP servers. On PvP severs the Alliance and
> Horde are at WAR. Therefore it is your duty to thwart the enemy as
> often as possible as long as you don't break the rules set by
> Blizzard.

No, the storyline is the same.

> On RP servers however the Alliance and Horde are actually at peace
> with one another, albeit a strained, fractious and uneasy peace. There
> is therefore scope for even friendship with characters from the
> opposing faction as well as outbreaks of violence and skirmishing.
>
> If you do decide to play on a PvP server remember that you are at all
> out *war* with the opposite faction and war entails killing, harrying
> and frustrating the opposition to the best of your ability and that's
> fine as long as Blizzard's rule set for PvP servers aren't being
> breached.
>
> The kind of player who does not like to be killed when in contested
> areas really shouldn't be on a PvP server in the first place.

Who likes to be killed? In my experience, no one. People don't play on
PVP servers because they like to be killed. The play on PVP servers
because they want the challenge of danger, the challenge that they may
be forced to endure something they don't like, and/or because they want
to kill other players. Pretty clearly, some play on PVP servers because
they like to ruin other people's days.

Ganking,
> which in my understanding means being killed over and over again by
> players far higher level than you, should be far less common now that
> dishonourable kills are being taken into account in calculating Honour
> rankings.

It doesn't seem to be any less common. In addition, player kills are
never dishonorable kills; only killing civilian NPCs is dishonorable.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 4:12:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Barnacle Bill wrote:
> The kind of player who does not like to be killed when in contested
> areas really shouldn't be on a PvP server in the first place. Ganking,
> which in my understanding means being killed over and over again by
> players far higher level than you, should be far less common now that
> dishonourable kills are being taken into account in calculating Honour
> rankings.

Killing other players, regardless of level, does not result in any
negative effect on your Honour ranking, and never has.

The only change made in the last patch was to provide penalties for
dishonourable kills of _civilian NPCs_, not other players.

Cheers!
David...
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 4:12:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:01:22 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam> scribed
into the ether:

>David Carson wrote:
>> Barnacle Bill wrote:
>>> The kind of player who does not like to be killed when in contested
>>> areas really shouldn't be on a PvP server in the first place.
>>> Ganking, which in my understanding means being killed over and over
>>> again by players far higher level than you, should be far less
>>> common now that dishonourable kills are being taken into account in
>>> calculating Honour rankings.
>>
>> Killing other players, regardless of level, does not result in any
>> negative effect on your Honour ranking, and never has.
>
>And it never should.

Yes, it should. At least on PvP servers. PvE not such a big thing, since
you have to volunteer to be slaughtered, but there should be dishonor for a
level 60 wiping out hordes of level 10s in a newbie area.
June 20, 2005 4:12:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Mike Kohary wrote:
> Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:01:22 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
>>scribed into the ether:
>>
>>
>>>David Carson wrote:
>>>
>>>>Barnacle Bill wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>The kind of player who does not like to be killed when in contested
>>>>>areas really shouldn't be on a PvP server in the first place.
>>>>>Ganking, which in my understanding means being killed over and over
>>>>>again by players far higher level than you, should be far less
>>>>>common now that dishonourable kills are being taken into account in
>>>>>calculating Honour rankings.
>>>>
>>>>Killing other players, regardless of level, does not result in any
>>>>negative effect on your Honour ranking, and never has.
>>>
>>>And it never should.
>>
>>Yes, it should. At least on PvP servers. PvE not such a big thing,
>>since you have to volunteer to be slaughtered, but there should be
>>dishonor for a level 60 wiping out hordes of level 10s in a newbie
>>area.
>
>
> I didn't think that was even possible (unless the newbies were dumb enough
> to flag). Is it?

No.

However it is certainly possible (and not uncommon) for level 50-60s to
meander around level ~20 areas like Ashenvale wiping out lowbies.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:21:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:01:22 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
wrote:

>David Carson wrote:
>> Barnacle Bill wrote:
>>> The kind of player who does not like to be killed when in contested
>>> areas really shouldn't be on a PvP server in the first place.
>>> Ganking, which in my understanding means being killed over and over
>>> again by players far higher level than you, should be far less
>>> common now that dishonourable kills are being taken into account in
>>> calculating Honour rankings.
>>
>> Killing other players, regardless of level, does not result in any
>> negative effect on your Honour ranking, and never has.
>
>And it never should. However, they did make it such that the repeated
>killing of the same player brings diminishing returns, until you get no
>honor for them at all.

Aye, that's what I read, my mistake. I knew they had introduced
something to help deter ganking.

BB.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:19:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

mikel wrote:
> Barnacle Bill wrote:
>> Ganking, which in my understanding means being killed over and over
>> again by players far higher level than you, should be far less
>> common now that dishonourable kills are being taken into account in
>> calculating Honour rankings.
>
> It doesn't seem to be any less common. In addition, player kills are
> never dishonorable kills; only killing civilian NPCs is
> dishonorable.

While Bill was wrong about the dishonourable kills, I _have_ found that
ganking on my PvP server has been less common since the release of the
Battlegrounds. Keeping the most enthusiastic PvPers in an instance
fighting each other clearly reduces the carnage outside. :-)

Cheers!
David...
June 20, 2005 12:19:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

David Carson wrote:
> mikel wrote:
>
>> Barnacle Bill wrote:
>>
>>> Ganking, which in my understanding means being killed over and over
>>> again by players far higher level than you, should be far less
>>> common now that dishonourable kills are being taken into account in
>>> calculating Honour rankings.
>>
>>
>> It doesn't seem to be any less common. In addition, player kills are
>> never dishonorable kills; only killing civilian NPCs is
>> dishonorable.
>
>
> While Bill was wrong about the dishonourable kills, I _have_ found that
> ganking on my PvP server has been less common since the release of the
> Battlegrounds. Keeping the most enthusiastic PvPers in an instance
> fighting each other clearly reduces the carnage outside. :-)

Glad to hear it. I haven't noticed the same thing.
June 20, 2005 12:19:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Mike Kohary wrote:
> David Carson wrote:
>
>>mikel wrote:
>>
>>>Barnacle Bill wrote:
>>>
>>>>Ganking, which in my understanding means being killed over and over
>>>>again by players far higher level than you, should be far less
>>>>common now that dishonourable kills are being taken into account in
>>>>calculating Honour rankings.
>>>
>>>It doesn't seem to be any less common. In addition, player kills are
>>>never dishonorable kills; only killing civilian NPCs is
>>>dishonorable.
>>
>>While Bill was wrong about the dishonourable kills, I _have_ found
>>that ganking on my PvP server has been less common since the release
>>of the Battlegrounds. Keeping the most enthusiastic PvPers in an
>>instance fighting each other clearly reduces the carnage outside. :-)
>
>
> This is my experience also. After all, you can rack up far more PvP kills
> in BG than you can on the outside in the same amount of time.

So one would rationally expect. On the other hand, one would also
rationally expect players not to bother killing other players that are
gray to them, since they produce no Honor. Perhaps I will eventually
notice people conforming to rational expectation.
June 20, 2005 12:19:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

mikel wrote:
> David Carson wrote:
>
>> mikel wrote:
>>
>>> Barnacle Bill wrote:
>>>
>>>> Ganking, which in my understanding means being killed over and over
>>>> again by players far higher level than you, should be far less
>>>> common now that dishonourable kills are being taken into account in
>>>> calculating Honour rankings.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> It doesn't seem to be any less common. In addition, player kills are
>>> never dishonorable kills; only killing civilian NPCs is
>>> dishonorable.
>>
>>
>>
>> While Bill was wrong about the dishonourable kills, I _have_ found that
>> ganking on my PvP server has been less common since the release of the
>> Battlegrounds. Keeping the most enthusiastic PvPers in an instance
>> fighting each other clearly reduces the carnage outside. :-)
>
>
> Glad to hear it. I haven't noticed the same thing.

In fact, expanding on this, I was ganked by a huge crowd of Alliance at
the Horde entrance to Warsong Gulch. They were hanging around ganking
any Horde players who were headed into the entrance and happened to have
their flags up.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:22:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Josh Mayfield wrote:

> moif wrote:
>
>>Ah yes, but here in our shiny clean NG it's a different story ;)  Plenty of
>>EU players here that differ from the norm (I hope)!
>
>
> Believe me, that's why we're ALL here.
>

Another good nice thing paradoxically is that we *don't* have any
official realm forum.

So we rely on unofficial ones. Ours (sunstrider.net) is really, really
fine. Around 600 members who speak in complete sentences, and a
dedicated rant/whine/nerf/flame section! WE R3WLZ0R!!!one! ;) 
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:30:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Mike Kohary wrote:

> mikel wrote:
>
>>Mike Kohary wrote:
>>
>>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:01:22 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
>>>>scribed into the ether:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>David Carson wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>Barnacle Bill wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>The kind of player who does not like to be killed when in
>>>>>>>contested areas really shouldn't be on a PvP server in the first
>>>>>>>place. Ganking, which in my understanding means being killed
>>>>>>>over and over again by players far higher level than you, should
>>>>>>>be far less common now that dishonourable kills are being taken
>>>>>>>into account in calculating Honour rankings.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Killing other players, regardless of level, does not result in any
>>>>>>negative effect on your Honour ranking, and never has.
>>>>>
>>>>>And it never should.
>>>>
>>>>Yes, it should. At least on PvP servers. PvE not such a big thing,
>>>>since you have to volunteer to be slaughtered, but there should be
>>>>dishonor for a level 60 wiping out hordes of level 10s in a newbie
>>>>area.
>>>
>>>
>>>I didn't think that was even possible (unless the newbies were dumb
>>>enough to flag). Is it?
>>
>>No.
>>
>>However it is certainly possible (and not uncommon) for level 50-60s
>>to meander around level ~20 areas like Ashenvale wiping out lowbies.
>
>
> Yeah, I see that all the time. I just expect it in contested areas.
>

Which makes it even more fun.

There's nothing like running from a level ??, fasttalk a couple of
friends and strike the ?? down. There's something you learn on a PVP
server, and it's called "imbalanced fighting". How to turn the odds. How
many do you need to be to put up a great fight for both parties.

Of course, this slows the leveling process by a lot. But once you can
corpse run with your eyes closed, you get used to it, and it's somewhat
more fun to enjoy the thrill of CONTESTED TERRITORY.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:41:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:01:48 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam> scribed
into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:01:22 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
>> scribed into the ether:
>>
>>> David Carson wrote:
>>>> Barnacle Bill wrote:
>>>>> The kind of player who does not like to be killed when in contested
>>>>> areas really shouldn't be on a PvP server in the first place.
>>>>> Ganking, which in my understanding means being killed over and over
>>>>> again by players far higher level than you, should be far less
>>>>> common now that dishonourable kills are being taken into account in
>>>>> calculating Honour rankings.
>>>>
>>>> Killing other players, regardless of level, does not result in any
>>>> negative effect on your Honour ranking, and never has.
>>>
>>> And it never should.
>>
>> Yes, it should. At least on PvP servers. PvE not such a big thing,
>> since you have to volunteer to be slaughtered, but there should be
>> dishonor for a level 60 wiping out hordes of level 10s in a newbie
>> area.
>
>I didn't think that was even possible (unless the newbies were dumb enough
>to flag). Is it?

Plenty of level 10s in places like the Barrens, which is contested
territory. Level 10 is actually when your quest chain takes you there.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:47:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

mikel wrote:


> Who likes to be killed? In my experience, no one. People don't play on
> PVP servers because they like to be killed. The play on PVP servers
> because they want the challenge of danger, the challenge that they may
> be forced to endure something they don't like, and/or because they want
> to kill other players. Pretty clearly, some play on PVP servers because
> they like to ruin other people's days.

Nope. I don't think anyone on a PVP server is a plain griefer. They are
just competitors. The only thing a ganker is looking for is a good
spank. They say it all the time on our realm forum, even notorious
killers: "please go fetch help, I want to get some thrill". Actually the
most horrible griefers are ninja looters and killstealers. And also
those people that follow you and spam /chicken /laugh /chicken /laugh
/chicken /laugh /chicken /laugh all day long, whom I've only met on
PVE/RP servers because they are free to do it.

On a PVP server, it's fair game. You can kill, they can kill, you can
gank, they can gank, you can corpse camp, and they can do it also. There
is a sense of fairplay and sportsmanship (or lack thereof) which is
completely out of any PVE or RP server.

Much, much more social interactions on average between factions. Simply
because not everyone is ready to fight at all times, even though you
can. On a PVP server, you can perfectly enjoy seeing someone and just
throw a /wave at him, in hope for him to /wave back. It's a common
thing. PVE/RP, it's generally ignored. On occasions, you can also enjoy
questing with the opposite faction, and it feels very good. Those
moments are scarce.

"You are afflicted by frostnova"
"AllianceMage apologizes to you. Sorry!"
"You welcome AllianceMage."

Now tell me you experienced that kind of little pleasures on a PVE server?

Of course, people who don't enjoy corpse running at all should stay
away, far away from PVP servers, and that should be your main incentive,
above all else.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:44:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

shadows wrote:

> Now that would be something wouldn't it? Beats advocating for
> picnics with the other side.

Need I remind you that attendance at the picnic was VOLUNTARY. If it's
not fun for you, don't go. But don't rain on other people's parades
for attending because they enjoy it. That just makes you a schmuck.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 6:02:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

mikel wrote:
> Cyde Weys wrote:
> > shadows wrote:
> >
> >
> >>Now that would be something wouldn't it? Beats advocating for
> >>picnics with the other side.
> >
> >
> > Need I remind you that attendance at the picnic was VOLUNTARY. If it's
> > not fun for you, don't go. But don't rain on other people's parades
> > for attending because they enjoy it. That just makes you a schmuck.
>
> Careful. You might be ruining his game.

Good point. If we all don't play exactly the way he wants us to play
we are ruining his game.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:34:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:01:48 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam> scribed
> into the ether:
>>I didn't think that was even possible (unless the newbies were dumb enough
>>to flag). Is it?
>
> Plenty of level 10s in places like the Barrens, which is contested
> territory. Level 10 is actually when your quest chain takes you there.

The Barrens is NOT contested territory, for god's sake, none of the "one
zone after the newbie zone" zones are.

Cheers!
David...
June 20, 2005 11:58:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Babe Bridou wrote:
> mikel wrote:
>
>
>> Who likes to be killed? In my experience, no one. People don't play on
>> PVP servers because they like to be killed. The play on PVP servers
>> because they want the challenge of danger, the challenge that they may
>> be forced to endure something they don't like, and/or because they
>> want to kill other players. Pretty clearly, some play on PVP servers
>> because they like to ruin other people's days.
>
>
> Nope. I don't think anyone on a PVP server is a plain griefer.

Then you are mistaken. Not only am I sure that some are intentionally
out to ruin other people's days, I've even met individuals who not only
admitted it, but boasted of it.

> They are
> just competitors. The only thing a ganker is looking for is a good
> spank. They say it all the time on our realm forum, even notorious
> killers: "please go fetch help, I want to get some thrill". Actually the
> most horrible griefers are ninja looters and killstealers. And also
> those people that follow you and spam /chicken /laugh /chicken /laugh
> /chicken /laugh /chicken /laugh all day long, whom I've only met on
> PVE/RP servers because they are free to do it.
>
> On a PVP server, it's fair game. You can kill, they can kill, you can
> gank, they can gank, you can corpse camp, and they can do it also. There
> is a sense of fairplay and sportsmanship (or lack thereof) which is
> completely out of any PVE or RP server.
>
> Much, much more social interactions on average between factions. Simply
> because not everyone is ready to fight at all times, even though you
> can. On a PVP server, you can perfectly enjoy seeing someone and just
> throw a /wave at him, in hope for him to /wave back. It's a common
> thing. PVE/RP, it's generally ignored. On occasions, you can also enjoy
> questing with the opposite faction, and it feels very good. Those
> moments are scarce.
>
> "You are afflicted by frostnova"
> "AllianceMage apologizes to you. Sorry!"
> "You welcome AllianceMage."
>
> Now tell me you experienced that kind of little pleasures on a PVE server?

Much more often than on a PVP server.

> Of course, people who don't enjoy corpse running at all should stay
> away, far away from PVP servers, and that should be your main incentive,
> above all else.

Evidently, our experiences are different, which should not be any
particular surprise.
June 20, 2005 11:58:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

> Babe Bridou wrote:
>> mikel wrote:
>>
>> Nope. I don't think anyone on a PVP server is a plain griefer.
>
> Then you are mistaken. Not only am I sure that some are intentionally
> out to ruin other people's days, I've even met individuals who not only
> admitted it, but boasted of it.

PvP is about conflict. Don't go to a PvP server or a battleground
expecting to cooperate and be nice. Doing so contradicts the
spirit of the realm. Instead learn to channel your frustration
into cooperating with your OWN side and taking down superior
foes.

Now that would be something wouldn't it? Beats advocating for
picnics with the other side.
June 21, 2005 12:47:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Cyde Weys wrote:
> shadows wrote:
>
>
>>Now that would be something wouldn't it? Beats advocating for
>>picnics with the other side.
>
>
> Need I remind you that attendance at the picnic was VOLUNTARY. If it's
> not fun for you, don't go. But don't rain on other people's parades
> for attending because they enjoy it. That just makes you a schmuck.

Careful. You might be ruining his game.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:28:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:34:51 +1000, David Carson
<david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:01:48 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam> scribed
>> into the ether:
>>>I didn't think that was even possible (unless the newbies were dumb enough
>>>to flag). Is it?
>>
>> Plenty of level 10s in places like the Barrens, which is contested
>> territory. Level 10 is actually when your quest chain takes you there.
>
>The Barrens is NOT contested territory, for god's sake, none of the "one
>zone after the newbie zone" zones are.

Hmm, the map I saw (admittedly a while ago) showed that it was.

That's an improvement then.
!