Newbie: Digital Camera Resolution Question

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 18, 2005 9:54:40 AM

Hello,
I'm experimenting with different resolutions on my Canon A520 with a 512 mb
card.
I took 4 indoor shots at different resolutions, of the same object from the
same distance and had 4x6 prints made.
Glancing at the pictures, I cannot tell the difference between 2272x1704 and
1600x1200 at fine or superfine modes.

If I look really,really close, I would have to say the 1600x1200 print is
slightly sharper than the 2272x1704 print.

I would have expected this to be the other way around.

I'm guessing that the 2272x1704 shot was altered by the photofinisher to fit
on the 4x6 print and changed the quality. But the 1600x1200 shot did not
have to be altered so the quality is better.

Am I right or wrong?
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 10:29:24 AM

In article <AoVMe.229540$on1.198120@clgrps13>, bbford@yahoo.com says...

> If I look really,really close, I would have to say the 1600x1200 print is
> slightly sharper than the 2272x1704 print.
>
> I would have expected this to be the other way around.
>
> I'm guessing that the 2272x1704 shot was altered by the photofinisher to fit
> on the 4x6 print and changed the quality. But the 1600x1200 shot did not
> have to be altered so the quality is better.
>
> Am I right or wrong?

Well, a little bit is going on here that can change the output.

At 4x6, the 1600x1200 shot will be printing at roughly 266 DPI.

The 2272x1704 will be at 378 DPI, but most like the native resolution of
the printer is about 300 so the image will be downsampled to that
number.

So the actual resolution difference between the prints wouldn't be great
enough to cause a big difference in quality.

But why is the 1600x1200 image sharper? Aha! Here's the kicker:

All digicams apply a liberal amount of in-camera sharpening. In the
case of the 1600x1200 shot, this sharpening was applied at the final
size. The 2272x1704 shot was sharpened an equal amount, but some of the
detail was lost when the image was resized for printing.

At 5x7 or 8x10 the higher resolution shot would win. This particular
case proves that if you're going to be printing 4x6s directly from the
camera, you don't need the highest resolution setting.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

Thanks, that explains it.