Sign in with
Your question

Blank slate. ($900~ Gaming rig)

Last response: in Systems
July 20, 2012 9:57:44 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within a week.
Budget Range: $900 lower limit, not much more than $1000.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming will be the biggest draw. I've played with the idea of getting into music comp, butry to keep the priority in more of a mid-range relative to other components.t that isn't a priority.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes. I've noted that you folks tend to recommend monitors exceeding 20" for gaming, but I'm not sure how I feel about those sizes - seems like overkill. Give me your suggestions by all means, but I'll be quite satisfied with a slightly smaller, reliable monitor.
Do you need to buy OS: Yes, and while the price of Win 7 Home Premium is fairly constant, go ahead and tack it on anyways.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg. I'm open to better deals from other locations as long as I don't have to track shipping from a bunch of different vendors.
Location: North-central Ohio. However, I doubt that there are any deals good enough in my area to justify the gas prices.
Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, but I doubt you guys would suggest otherwise anyhow. No other preferences.

Overclocking: No. I'm just looking to play the games, not squeeze them like lemons. Unless you think I could get more out of my budget this way.
SLI or Crossfire: Not now, probably not in the future.
Your Monitor Resolution: No preference.

Additional Comments: While I don't doubt the good reviews for certain tank-like cases, I'm wondering if there's anything a bit more subdued-looking. Low priority on this one. On that note, though, it'd be convenient if the case had front-accessible USB3.0 as I do own a compatible WD external drive. I don't have any illusions of being able to play games with stunning eyecandy under this budget, and I'm not certain I'll be able to get mid-level graphics settings, either. I'm not concerned about this. The sort of game's I'm looking to play are Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout, TF2, and the like.
Why Are You Upgrading: I've always wanted to get into PC gaming, but I haven't really had the money until now. Also, extreme slowness issues with my laptop forced me into desperate measures back in February and I've had to cope with Ubuntu 11.10 ever since. Windows 7, I hardly knew ye! Come back into my life!

Your time is greatly appreciated.
a c 280 4 Gaming
July 20, 2012 10:06:58 PM

Quote:
Why Are You Upgrading: I've always wanted to get into PC gaming, but I haven't really had the money until now. Also, extreme slowness issues with my laptop forced me into desperate measures back in February and I've had to cope with Ubuntu 11.10 ever since. Windows 7, I hardly knew ye! Come back into my life!

Supposedly Steam is coming to Ubuntu later this year, if Apple would only port iTunes into Ubuntu I might not ever need to utilize Windows again.

Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $992.91
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-20 18:07 EDT-0400)
July 20, 2012 11:30:34 PM

I can see that you're advocating the overclocking route. Unfortunately, your suggestions leave me with no money in my budget for a monitor and the os. Any other build ideas?
For instance, what if I forgo the unlocked cpu in favour of a slightly cheaper i5? Perhaps an i3, even. Then I wouldn't need the aftermarket cooler. The video card seems a bit out-of-range, also. If I scaled-down on that I'd also be able to save on the PSU, right?
Related resources
July 20, 2012 11:38:12 PM

i wish people would read the whole thread rather than the title... i would suggest a radeon 7850, suggested by TH for Xfire and the I52500k is still really good.
a b 4 Gaming
July 20, 2012 11:42:45 PM

the reason why monitors reach past 20.5" is that is usually the size when 1920x1080 resolution is accepted.
a b 4 Gaming
July 20, 2012 11:53:58 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.64 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1021.55
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-20 19:53 EDT-0400)
a b 4 Gaming
July 20, 2012 11:58:32 PM

You can go cheaper a 6850 will play games on high or ultra settings with 1600x900 PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($157.55 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.64 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE208T 20.0" Monitor ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $953.10
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-20 19:58 EDT-0400)
July 21, 2012 1:39:50 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)

It appears that Part Picker is wrong in stating that this video card has a mail-in rebate on Newegg. That brings the price up about $20 by choosing TigerDirect.
With this in mind, what's your opinion on this Rosewill case? It isn't as understated as the Corsair 300R, but otherwise it seems to have similar features at about $15 cheaper. Anything wrong with it?
a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2012 1:55:49 AM

IkklThePickle said:
It appears that Part Picker is wrong in stating that this video card has a mail-in rebate on Newegg. That brings the price up about $20 by choosing TigerDirect.
With this in mind, what's your opinion on this Rosewill case? It isn't as understated as the Corsair 300R, but otherwise it seems to have similar features at about $15 cheaper. Anything wrong with it?
oh o.k. sorry about that dam Part Picker lol as for the Rosewill case i don't think it has anything wrong with it i have never used it before or know anybody who has so i can't say for sure but seems fine :) 
a b 4 Gaming
July 21, 2012 2:15:45 AM

if you want someone to vouch on the case, i can directly do so as i actually own that case physically right now. its a fine case and air can flow through it clearly the only things I didn't like about it:

Black plate for cable management could have been slightly bigger
Power Button and reset button at first are hard to find, but you get used to it
If you put a cm hyper 212 in there, the rosewill cases will cut it really close when it comes to fitting the case(as its about an inch thinner horizontally then average

other than that, being able to fit 4 fans at stock(i don't think no other case would have so much fans at stock anyways at this price range) and being a home brand makes the case cheaper for its value. a slightly more indepth review of mines can actually be found on newegg itself.
July 22, 2012 1:53:48 AM

Thanks for the extra opinion. After looking at other reviews, though, the issue of having less space for cables looks like it might be too much of a pain for a first-timer like me. So I guess I will go with the Corsair case.

Two more questions. First, which hard drive should I go with - The Samsung Spinpoint bigcyco1 listed or this WD Caviar Blue? They seem identical to me, but perhaps one has a better reputation?
Second, what should I do about a ps/2 mouse? Should I just go with whatever's cheap, or is there anything I should be wary of?
Thanks again, guys.
a b 4 Gaming
July 22, 2012 2:26:23 AM

IkklThePickle said:
Thanks for the extra opinion. After looking at other reviews, though, the issue of having less space for cables looks like it might be too much of a pain for a first-timer like me. So I guess I will go with the Corsair case.

Two more questions. First, which hard drive should I go with - The Samsung Spinpoint bigcyco1 listed or this WD Caviar Blue? They seem identical to me, but perhaps one has a better reputation?
Second, what should I do about a ps/2 mouse? Should I just go with whatever's cheap, or is there anything I should be wary of?
Thanks again, guys.

originally, the samsung spinpoint would be the prefered brand a year back. at the moment, all samsung hdds are essentially rebranded seagate drives(as seagate merged with samsung and wd merged with hitachi). so really its more or less seagate vs wd now. people have different preferences
July 22, 2012 2:34:23 AM

So it is purely preference, then? I guess I could flip a coin...
July 22, 2012 10:59:58 PM

Actually, the mobo only has one PS/2 port anyways. I'll just use the USB mouse I already have.

This should be my absolute final question: What's the word on this Raidmax Hybrid PSU? The Amazon reviews are poor, but there's only eight of them. PartPicker reports a 4.2 star average out of 805, and it's $20 cheaper than the SeaSonic M12II on Newegg. Red herrings? Thoughts? Opinions?
a b 4 Gaming
July 22, 2012 11:07:53 PM

IkklThePickle said:
Actually, the mobo only has one PS/2 port anyways. I'll just use the USB mouse I already have.

This should be my absolute final question: What's the word on this Raidmax Hybrid PSU? The Amazon reviews are poor, but there's only eight of them. PartPicker reports a 4.2 star average out of 805, and it's $20 cheaper than the SeaSonic M12II on Newegg. Red herrings? Thoughts? Opinions?

raidmax units are usually very poor units, the one in particular failing to obtain the 80+ certification. at the 40$ mark, the only psus worth of mention are usually the antec vp, corsair cx 430 and the rosewill green to some extent.
July 22, 2012 11:38:58 PM

Allrighty, good to know. I will be placing the order soon. Thanks for all the help.
a b 4 Gaming
July 22, 2012 11:44:31 PM

IkklThePickle said:
Allrighty, good to know. I will be placing the order soon. Thanks for all the help.
Your welcome! :) 
July 23, 2012 3:21:52 AM

Welp.
Upon slight hesitation, that PSU model is now sold out. The non-modular version is, as of this moment, still available, but now I'm paranoid and want to make sure I'm getting exactly what I need before I order. What say you?
July 23, 2012 4:44:21 AM

Strange, don't think I saw that one in the hour or so I was catalog-crawling. The fact that it is non-modular just means a slight inconvenience in assembly, correct?

EDIT: I'm also considering dropping down on the monitor size to the 21.5" model since it has the same recommended resolution. Would you say this would be more of a matter of preference?
a b 4 Gaming
July 23, 2012 4:45:44 AM

Yeah.
a b 4 Gaming
July 23, 2012 4:52:14 AM

yes 21.5 vs 23 is all preference, they all will display 1920x1080 though. as for the modular vs nonmodular there are very minute advantages and disadvantages

modular pros
can replace broken wires
easier to cable manage
can use custom cables(bitfenix alchemy cables for example)

modular cons
if you dont get sent a cable you need, then your out of luck and have to wait a bit and possibly pay more, tis rare though

nonmod pros
almost impossible to be missing a wire
usually cheaper except in the case of the seasonic m12ii vs s12ii which i always question

cons
unused cables E'RYWHERE
a b 4 Gaming
July 23, 2012 5:17:21 AM

IkklThePickle said:
Strange, don't think I saw that one in the hour or so I was catalog-crawling. The fact that it is non-modular just means a slight inconvenience in assembly, correct?

EDIT: I'm also considering dropping down on the monitor size to the 21.5" model since it has the same recommended resolution. Would you say this would be more of a matter of preference?
Yes it's pretty much as dudewitbow says :) 
!