Is there a way to allocate more energy to my graphics card?

thatguy398

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Pretty much all in the title, I need to allocate more power to my 6770 seeing as how it's a 450w running on a 450w though I can't run it at it's full potential. And if I need more energy than this outputs, what's a good PSU?

thatguy398

Honorable
May 26, 2012

That's my exact problem, the PSU prevents the card from running better because it isn't supplying the card with enough power, I just wanted to know if I could set the card to use more power.

No, what makes you think its the power supply holding you back?

rdc85

Honorable
It will draw as many as many watt it needed....

as posters above said u will experience system instability when the PSU not supply enough power (like random shutdown, etc...) so why do you think it not supply enough?

The answer for your question is : No, u cannot allocate it more (technically, u can if u had multi rail system u can switch the rail to not used rail, but it depends the ampere of the PSU had.......)

so if u think it not enough, then better PSU is needed

At the very least you will most likely blow capacitors doing this. if you really must do it, know EXACTLY what you are doing.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
If your 450w is a decent brand and model then all is well. The card can not draw 450w without burning. It is not designed to draw 450w. The specification is to use as a minimum a 450w power supply for the system. You are misinterpreting the spec.

randomkid

Distinguished

If you have already connected a 6PIN PCIe power cable to your 6770, then you have already given it what it needed. Your 450W PSU can supply the power needed by the 6770 to deliver its full potential. But the 6770 can only do so much. If you feel your games are lagging to the point that your are bothered by it, chances are you got a pretty big resolution like 1920x1080 & your graphics setting is set very high. Try to lower down the settings or get a GPU upgrade ( but will require you to upgrade the PSU as well ).

Is the machine unstable?
Are you trying to overclock and getting instability?
What resolution is your Monitor?
What is your full system specs, including brand model of PSU?

After you connected the external power to the card from the PSU you have given the card all the power it is getting, up to 75watts through the slot and 75watts with the 6pin power cable (that is the rating but can deliver more). There is no way to increase that amount manually since the card pulls what it needs. HD6770 has peak power consumption of about 108watts.
Just putting more electricity to the card will not improve its performance, overclocking the card will improve performance and pull more electricity through the connections.