Sign in with
Your question

Dual VisionTek AMD Radeon HD 4850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 28, 2012 3:41:36 AM

My system:
Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz
RAM amount: 8GB (DDR2) Kingston KHX6400D2K2/4G (1 set DDR2-333) and Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G (2 sets DDR2-400)
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 OEM 64 bit
Graphics Cards: VisionTek AMD Radeon HD4850 driving 4 monitors. Driver version 8.961.0.0 - CrossFire enabled. Driver is dated April, 2012.
Hard drive: 1 TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1
Monitors: Four 22" monitors (ACER, LG).

Background:
I tried to use Catalyst to "Auto tune" the cards and crashed. After crash, uninstalled Catalyst and driver and Windows defaults it back to April 25, 2009 driver. Just re-install the driver (using Windows Device Manager and not AMD's installer) after lengthy testing with Furmark with single and dual graphics card(s) driving 1 to 4 monitors. Now with dual cards crossfired cable hooked up and planning to re-engage crossfire with Catalyst.

Normal use: 4 screens and not crossfired.
Game use: 2 screens crossfired.

Questions:
1. If tuning is bad - even autotune in Catalyst? - I was unable to "set it back to the slower frequency" and the system keeps crashing. This stops only after I remove the cards and test it out with 1 monitor and 1 card.
2. Is the above set up generally good enough for playing Battlefield 3? Maximum temperature of the cards are at 95-94 degrees Celsius and the cards idle temperature is around 81-84 degrees Celsius.

Going to run Furmark now with the latest drivers (12.4). Ran Furmark with older versions and without Catalyst and system seems stable.

Thanks in advance!

Note: Furmark is downloaded from www.geeks3d.com. It is a GPU stress test software.
May 29, 2012 7:41:37 PM

Update ...

Now I need some real help ...

Steps taken:
1. Removed the banks of Kingston KHX6400D2K2/4G DRAM.
2. Clean install of AMD driver version 12.4 for my dual HD 4850
3. Crossfired engaged.

Game mode: No issues but very slow playing Battlefield 3 for a couple of hours at low resolution. No issues with Furmark. 2 screens.
Normal use: Crossfire disengaged and no issues at idle and running charting software on 4 screens. Temperature of the HD 4850s are same as above post.

It would appear that it is the memory issue but my Furmark score was dismal - 270 or something when crossfired! Either there is something wrong with the motherboard or something wrong with the driver version 12.4. I mean the memory were tested with MemTest and all is good. This is just with the set of DDR2-400 memory.

Question:
1. Why is Furmark so dismal / Battlefield 3 so slow.
2. I suspect that because something is really slow and not set properly, it is giving me dismal speed.
m
l
Related resources
!