Just saw the fx 6300. What do you guys think?

Nicklovn

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
So I found the Micro Center bundles (sadly they've removed all Phenom processors)

But I've heard good things about the 6300. To be honest, I'll mostly be using it in games but will it run well?

I'm thinking the 6300 with the m5a97 is a good combo. But you guys can see for yourselves. These are some great deals and the Micro Center is a good 15 minute drive from home.

http://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx

These are the bundle deals that they have.

The FX-6300 for gaming is comprable to the performance of the i3 Ivy Bridge in most games. PileDriver, like its predecessor still suffers in individual core performance, which can impact performance in a handful of games, but not terribly so as to make any game on the market unplayable when paired with a decent video card. Its overclockable, which is a nice feature for its price point, a feature which the buy-in price for Intel is higher. MicroCenter, is a bit cheaper because they sell Intel CPUs as loss-leaders. (Meaning they're selling them at little or no profit, and hoping you'll buy other computer parts like video cards, power supplies, etc from them to make up for it). In productivity applications that can make use of all 6 cores, it will crush the i3 more often than not.

The Asus M5A97 AM3+ board is a solid motherboard with decent quality. So it wouldn't be a bad pairing if you decide to go that route.