Phenom ii x4 945 vs 965

Status
Not open for further replies.

beau75

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I'm about to upgrade my processor and I am trying to decide between the 945 or the 965BE. I'm not into overclocking but is the unlocked multiplier the only difference between the two? (other than the slightly higher clock on the 965) I am into gaming but my rig is a bit of an older one and I don't have the cash to go all out and get a new mobo and one of the FX series CPUs. Also I have seen many people say that the stock fans aren't good, so I was looking at some cheaper after market fans.

This is what I was looking at: COOLER MASTER Vortex Plus RR-VTPS-28PK-R1 92mm Long life sleeve CPU Cooler

I have also seen great reviews of the Hyper 212 but it won't fit my case and I just want something cheap and quiet that will keep the CPU cool even after hours of gaming.

beau75

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Whoops, ya I should have put the case. I have the NZXT. Gamma. I also have an exhaust fan right above the CPU so I don't think the Hyper 212, or any style like that would fit but I could be wrong. Also could someone please explain why I should go with the 965 even if I'm not overclocking? Other than it being 0.4GHZ faster and having an unlocked multiplier whats the difference?

socialfox

Distinguished
Well I voted for the 965 because of the clock speeds and both processors have basically the same architecture. Anyways what's the price difference between the two? If its big then you may want to side with the 945 and if its really small then 965 is the better choice.

beau75

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Well, they had the 945 on TigerDirect for about $64 but I don't see it on there anymore so the 965 it is. However if I'm going to use aftermarket cooling should I save $10 and get the 965 OEM from Tiger? Or should I stick to the retail box from the Egg?

beau75

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.