Is It Really Better to Resize Image and Canvas Before Prin..

Is it better to resize the image and canvas before printing? It may
sound like a dumb question but it seems to me, that if I resize the image
and canvas in Photoshop:

1) If I print the photo on my own printer, the printer's software will
essentially be resampling the photo data anyway (even if I correctly resize
image and canvas to match printer resolution and photo paper size),

or

2) If I take the photo to a commercial printer, that printer's software will
resample the photo anyway AND the person processing the photo will resample
it (adjusting brightness, color, etc.).
It would seem to me that one would be better off just letting the
printer software resize the image and canvas of the photo (and therefore
skip at least one unnecessary resampling which would needlessly decrease the
quality of the photo). Thanks for any opinions either way.
xtx99@aol.com
2 answers Last reply
More about resize image canvas prin

    In article <a0d05$430437be$d1cc5bf9$6198@snip.allthenewsgroups.com>,
    xtx99@aol.com says...
    > It would seem to me that one would be better off just letting the
    > printer software resize the image and canvas of the photo (and therefore
    > skip at least one unnecessary resampling which would needlessly decrease the
    > quality of the photo). Thanks for any opinions either way.

    I would resize and resample to the printer's native resolution, then
    make any final sharpening adjustments at that step. Otherwise the image
    will be resampled and you'll loose a slight amount of edge contrast.

    You can request "no modifications" at many photo printers. If you're
    going to be modifying and preparing your own photos for print, I'd
    suggest using a photo finisher that takes this kind of request.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird

    <xtx99@aol.com> wrote in message

    > Is it better to resize the image and canvas before printing?
    > It may sound like a dumb question but it seems to me, that if I
    > resize the image and canvas in Photoshop:
    >
    > 1) If I print the photo on my own printer, the printer's software
    > will essentially be resampling the photo data anyway (even if I
    > correctly resize image and canvas to match printer resolution and
    > photo paper size),

    No, if the image size in pixels corresponds to the native printer
    resolution for the output size chosen, there will be no resampling
    done by the printer driver, i.e. 600 ppi for Canon / HP and 720 ppi
    for Epson desktop printers. Large format IJ printers may have upper
    limits like 360 ppi, to conserve ink but especially to get faster
    printing times, because the result may be viewed from a larger
    distance.

    > or
    >
    > 2) If I take the photo to a commercial printer, that printer's
    > software will resample the photo anyway AND the person processing
    > the photo will resample it (adjusting brightness, color, etc.).

    Just instruct them not to resample. It depends on their hardware how
    that can be achieved. Talk to the person in charge how to best
    communicate it to the operator.

    > It would seem to me that one would be better off just letting
    > the printer software resize the image and canvas of the photo (and
    > therefore skip at least one unnecessary resampling which would
    > needlessly decrease the quality of the photo).

    That would mean there is no (re-)sharpening at final output size.
    Almost all resampling introduces loss of contrast (perceived
    sharpness), that's why my images print sharper after resampling to the
    output device's native 'resolution' followed by re-sharpening for the
    losses. It is also beneficial to re-sharpen after up-sampling because
    now you can apply sharpening at a sub-pixel accuracy (compared to the
    original image), IOW much more accurate and with less visible halo.

    Bart

Photo Printers Software Cameras