Sign in with
Your question

Asus Maximus CrossfireX & SLI... can I combine cards at will?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 28, 2012 4:26:07 AM

I have an Asus Maximus V motherboard that I am pretty sure is both CrossfireX ready and SLI ready. Does that mean I can put whatever ati or geforce graphics cards I want and bridge them? I have an AMD Radeon HD 6570 and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 520. Not really planning on bridging them because i think the GT would slow down the AMD. Is there any advantage to having them both in if I only plan to use one monitor? Like couldn't I set the GT up for nongaming junk and the AMD for all games? Anywho, just poking around so not really looking to compare brain wattage with anyone :pt1cable: 
May 28, 2012 4:46:23 AM

nope it is impossible to combine an nvidia card and ATI card to get the advantages of SLI/Crossfire
m
l
May 28, 2012 4:48:14 AM

I estimate your current brain wattage to be ~250. You should be ok if you don't try to SLI those GT 520's or you might fry youy brains.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 5:40:08 AM

nVidia drivers does not allow you to pair a GF card with an AMD card to get physics etc. They did this last year or the year before, can't remember.

But if you can afford a Maximus V get a proper graphics card, i.e. GF GTX560TI / AMD 6950 and above.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 5:43:35 AM

steadyjeff said:
I have an Asus Maximus V motherboard that I am pretty sure is both CrossfireX ready and SLI ready. Does that mean I can put whatever ati or geforce graphics cards I want and bridge them? I have an AMD Radeon HD 6570 and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 520. Not really planning on bridging them because i think the GT would slow down the AMD. Is there any advantage to having them both in if I only plan to use one monitor? Like couldn't I set the GT up for nongaming junk and the AMD for all games? Anywho, just poking around so not really looking to compare brain wattage with anyone :pt1cable: 

I never tried it myself but maybe I should. :) 
But in your case, the 6570 & 520 are both very weak cards. You can do better by getting a single card that is way faster that both of them combined & your life will be easier.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 8:44:11 AM

zander1983 said:
nVidia drivers does not allow you to pair a GF card with an AMD card to get physics etc. They did this last year or the year before, can't remember.

But if you can afford a Maximus V get a proper graphics card, i.e. GF GTX560TI / AMD 6950 and above.

I believe they fixed that due to the backlash on the forums and how many people complained about it. Otherwise there is always hacked drivers that support it.
m
l
May 28, 2012 1:52:39 PM

I am looking at maybe getting a Radeon HD4870X2 2GB which isn't the best either but a little more affordable.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 11:17:51 PM

^How much are you getting for those cards?

They are quite dated (like 4 generations old) & if not too much of a bargain, you are better off investing in single cards new generation cards like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is $229 after mail-in rebate with free game.

m
l
May 28, 2012 11:26:31 PM

26 and 22 on the list
m
l
!