Sign in with
Your question

Is it possible..

Last response: in Components
December 1, 2012 10:41:09 PM

Hello, I suppose I am posting without an account (interesting), but I've got a question.

Edit: Had to make an account anyways :p 

I had a nice little budget PC built about 2 months back, and recently it stopped working. I locked down the error to a PSU fault (Dead), and was wondering if it died because of a malfunction, or because it was overstressing itself to power the components in my PC? It was a light build (will show components below), and had 3 fans so it should have had adequate airflow.

i3-2120
HD radeon 6570 OC'd (Still should draw little power)
4 x 2 DDR3 RAM
Asus LGA 1155 Z68 Motherboard
Rosewill Challenger Case
Old 200GB HDD
Asus DVD drive
And finally the Power Supply used was a Rosewill Capsone 450w Power Supply.

If this matters I always had a hard time waking up from sleep/hibernation mode. Typically would have to turn the PC off, then on.

Glad if anyone could give me a say in this, either way the PSU is being RMA'd.

More about : question

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 10:55:58 PM

off the top of my head i'd say your system would have not hit 160 watts except with stress testing the cpu and gpu at the same time.

AFAIK the sleep/hibernation settings are in the OS but i honestly couldn't tell because i do not use it. - if i am not going to use my rig for a day i turn it off.

components fail for various reasons but in your case i highly doubt stressing it was the reason. you would have to an autopsy on the PSU to find out what happened.

btw, HOWDY! welcome to THG.
m
l
December 2, 2012 2:14:35 AM

Anonymous said:
off the top of my head i'd say your system would have not hit 160 watts except with stress testing the cpu and gpu at the same time.

AFAIK the sleep/hibernation settings are in the OS but i honestly couldn't tell because i do not use it. - if i am not going to use my rig for a day i turn it off.

components fail for various reasons but in your case i highly doubt stressing it was the reason. you would have to an autopsy on the PSU to find out what happened.

btw, HOWDY! welcome to THG.

Yeah, I was thinking I just got unlucky and my PSU broke down (I spent quite abit on a little non-modular PSU for it to die like that -.-) I just added in the sleep/hibernation part because it just happens to me, I will leave my computer un attended anywhere from 1-10 hours and it won't wake up. (fans spin then stop, the exact same thing that happened when it wouldn't turn on anymore) Thanks for the welcome, I'm apart of another forum board and there's a technology section that I frequently assist people in. This forum seems 20x bigger in the computer building aspect, and I'm really liking it.

Can anyone else provide insight on my query? Appreciate it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 136 ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 3:06:14 AM

I don't have much more to offer here than Looniam since I also do not have any sleep functions setup on my rigs. I have noticed though that the sleep/waking issue seems to be known, I have come across many inquiries about that issue but haven't really looked into it at all since I am unaffected by it (rather selfish attitude I realize).
As far as the Capstone 450 failing, again agreeing with Loon, not from overstressing it, (pointed out your rig isn't capable of that) but just one of those unfortunate things.
My $0.02 worth
m
l
December 2, 2012 3:43:04 AM

Yes I have insight, the reason why it did not wake up has to do with what we call the S modes you need to set up in the bios of the main board. If you dont set them right sending the computer to sleep or Hibernation mode without the right settings in the bios will result in a none Boot, or Resume state.
Because a signal has to be sent to each bit of hardware to tell it to wake up,or shut down from the bios.
Let me explain.
1.S1 and S3 power state will allow the computer to go into Hibernation mode or sleep mode. it saves all the current Os,and any program running to system memory if you have a large amount of ram, then it tells the rest of the computer to shut down but keeps the Ram powerd to keep what is stored in memory as it is classed as volatile IE always needs power to keep its state,not loose data. APCI

S1,S4 Instead saves all the Data in the system memory to a Temp Image on the harddisk drive, the Os and any programs running at the time within the OS.
This mode is more handy as if there was a power cut for example the Data would not be lost, on the next re boot of the Pc that temp Os image would be loaded allowing you to resume where you left off. You need to have a look in the power setting of the bios menu. APCI
m
l
!