dhill89

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Wasn't exactly sure where to post this so I'll apologize in advance if it's not in the appropriate section.

I'm moving out pretty soon and I'll be getting comcast(unfortunately the only option around me) performance internet (which says the download speeds are up to 12mbps). They charge $7/mo to rent their modem, which seems like a really bad deal having looked at the prices of modems. I'm wondering what you guys would suggest I buy - I know very little about shopping for modems and would like to have the highest download speeds I can - I download a lot, play games online, and stream videos.

Thanks.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished

A major feature that the 6120 has over the SB5101U is DOCSIS 3.0, whereas the latter only has 2.0. DOCSIS 3.0 features link aggregation, meaning the ability to combine multiple channels, thus increasing throughput as well as offer redundancy.

Consider the following:

DOCSIS 2.0 only supports one channel (n), with a maximum throughput per channel of 42.88 Mbps (for downstream) and a maximum upstream of 30.73 Mbps, resulting in a mere 42Mbps for down and 30Mbps for up.

With DOCSIS 3.0 though, channels are able to be combined (with no channel limitation, boiling down to physical and topological limits), creating a much larger throughput for each. Say you have 4 channels and you're using the 6120, instead of getting 42Mbps for down, you instead get ~171Mbps, and for upstream you'll get ~122Mbps (n x 42, n x 30, where n is 4).

Also, DOCSIS 2.0 doesn't support IPv6 management, unless you upgrade firmware, whereas 3.0 comes fully supported of IPv6 already. Lastly, the 6120 has a gigabit connection, but the other is only 10/100.

To me, it's definitely worth the extra $30, especially since you're going to be using this modem for some time to come, and you don't want to buy already outdated equipment if you're actually wanting to keep high speeds down the road.

riser

Illustrious
I have Comcast. They will give me a one time discount if I purchase my own cable modem. For a month or two that is beneficial. After that the price is only a couple dollars cheaper per month. Considering just yesterday a friend's modem went out from getting too hot due to the weather, it seems to be the better option is to rent. You can have the modem replaced at any time or get a newer version. If this happens once every 18 months you're ahead of the curve. Even once per year you're still ahead of the game.