Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Desktop A10 vs laptop I7

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 1, 2012 11:46:57 PM

How does the AMD a10 5700 compare to the 2.4ghz quad-core intel i7, and what laptop video card would the integrated graphics in the A10 compare to?

More about : desktop a10 laptop

a c 152 à CPUs
December 2, 2012 12:14:42 AM

In terms of CPU power the I7 is the clear winner. For integrated graphics power the A10 is better. What are you going to be doing with this computer.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 2, 2012 1:20:07 AM

I am thinking of building a transportable durable 18.5 " laptop, watercooled, mechanical keyboard and a 3+ ghz quad core processor for about 800$.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A10-5700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($132.88 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Mac Mall)
Monitor: LG E1942S-BN 18.5" Monitor ($86.98 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $522.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-01 22:18 EST-0500)

Case-
http://www.mezzi.com/17-Inch-Laptop-Cases/MEZZI-MUSCLE-...

Is the build i am looking at for gaming and a proof of concept, also just because I think it is going to be a fun project that will gain odd looks at coffee shops and school.

m
0
l
December 3, 2012 5:10:35 AM

How much more powerful is the laptop i7 compared to the A10, or would the desktop A10 be comparable more to a laptop i5 as far as cpu power goes.
m
0
l
a c 152 à CPUs
December 3, 2012 5:17:27 AM

The I7 is more powerful, exactly how much in terms of percent I'm not sure.
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
December 3, 2012 6:18:28 AM

H60=bad :p 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 6:19:30 AM

the i7 at 2.4 should be slightly faster. Not by a significant margin. Probably around 20%.

The A10's graphics should be about as powerful as the 640m or 7730m.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 2:40:26 PM

amuffin said:
H60=bad :p 

How so? It's not for overclocking its because of a lack of space and ventalation for a standard cooler.
m
0
l
a c 152 à CPUs
December 3, 2012 5:00:58 PM

Because those all in one closed loop water kits really aren't that great. In terms of performance they perform about as good as high-end air cooling like a Noctua D14. IMO they aren't worth the money, if you really want to do water cooling do a custom water loop.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 8:37:16 PM

The problem with high end air cooling is they are huge and they need airflow directly over the cpu, if you can find me an air cooler that works as well as the watercooler in less than 2 1/4" that does not block air flow show me and I might consider it.
As I said above its not for overclocking it's because of height constraints. The case it is going in is linked to in the post that showed the system I am looking at. That has to hold the monitor and batteries in one half and everything else in the other, Keyboard included.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 10:26:55 PM

It all depends on the specific case being used.
Zalman and Antec have similar coolers also, so be sure to compare.
m
0
l
a c 152 à CPUs
December 3, 2012 10:47:58 PM

William_White said:
The problem with high end air cooling is they are huge and they need airflow directly over the cpu, if you can find me an air cooler that works as well as the watercooler in less than 2 1/4" that does not block air flow show me and I might consider it.
As I said above its not for overclocking it's because of height constraints. The case it is going in is linked to in the post that showed the system I am looking at. That has to hold the monitor and batteries in one half and everything else in the other, Keyboard included.


I wasn't talking about your case I was just answering your question of
Quote:
How so? It's not for overclocking its because of a lack of space and ventalation for a standard cooler.
It was a general answer to your question of why closed looped water coolers aren't that great. I was not factoring in the lack of space into the answer. As you said you aren't going to find a high end air cooler in a push pull configuration that will fit into a small computer like a HTPC or SFF computer.The question is if you aren't going to be overclocking why do you need water cooling? Even in a HTPC or SFF computer a stock cooler is usually good enough if you don't overclock. It may run a little hotter then a desktop tower because it's such a small space but again a stock cooler is usually fine.
m
0
l
December 4, 2012 12:54:16 AM

rds1220 said:
I wasn't talking about your case I was just answering your question of
Quote:
How so? It's not for overclocking its because of a lack of space and ventalation for a standard cooler.
It was a general answer to your question of why closed looped water coolers aren't that great. I was not factoring in the lack of space into the answer. As you said you aren't going to find a high end air cooler in a push pull configuration that will fit into a small computer like a HTPC or SFF computer.The question is if you aren't going to be overclocking why do you need water cooling? Even in a HTPC or SFF computer a stock cooler is usually good enough if you don't overclock. It may run a little hotter then a desktop tower because it's such a small space but again a stock cooler is usually fine.

As you said it may run a little hotter and in general the water cooling is going to be quieter plus with an air cooler it puts the heat back into the general case with water cooling I can move the radiator to another chamber for cooler temps all around. I also never said it wasn't getting overclocked I said it wasn't for overclocking meaning I may overclock it but the reason for water cooling wasn't for overclocking it is to act like heatpipes.

Proximon said:
So you are going to mod that case and build a PC into it?

That is the idea. Its not exactly a small case so cooling shoudn't be half bad with 6 or so 60mm fans the top is big enough to put a decent amount of batteries with the monitor. Hardest part is going to be the gfx card should I decide to include one.
m
0
l
!