What is CoolBits - FAQ's SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratmodi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012
i have gtx 550ti 1 Gb version. now i was getting a another gtx 550ti 1GB but its not in stock ,but another one
1.5 Version is available and its also cheaper by 10$.

i m confused if i will be able to SLI both (1GB and 1.5 Gb Cards) ?

Nvidia says - http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq#c19

What is coolbits ? will i be able to SLI both (one 1GB and ohter 1.5GB) using CoolBits ?

Solution
You brought a low end GPU..
As i said before, i would go for a better performing single GPU setup.
Please do not reference me as dude :)

Hey Bud, you aren't paying any attention to what he said. When he said he had to do the low end GPU due to price--he is saying he is limited in his budget. I know you understand this you just choose to ignore it and make the same worthless comment again.

I am running 2X285's. One is 1GB GPU the other is 2GB. I bought them from EVGA B Stock. Why? Price. I like to play my games with the graphics set as high as possible along with a great framerate. These cards each cost $100. It was a great price and what I could afford. So I used Coolbits to deal with the differing GPU VRAM.

It...

pratmodi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012
I would not go SLI, get yourself a GTX 480 or a Radeon 7850.

BTW, can i have your system specs please and full information about your PSU.

Dude , its not about the GPU , coz i was stuck in a situation when i bought GTX 550 ti for only 75 USD .
i just bought the deal coz my previous card burned out .so i had to take this sort of deal for only 75 USD.

then i thought that i made a mistake coz its not a good enthu. gpu , so i decided to go SLI.

SPECS -
phenom ii x4 960T
8 GB DDR3
Corsair TX 850

steveroger

Distinguished
May 22, 2009

Hey Bud, you aren't paying any attention to what he said. When he said he had to do the low end GPU due to price--he is saying he is limited in his budget. I know you understand this you just choose to ignore it and make the same worthless comment again.

I am running 2X285's. One is 1GB GPU the other is 2GB. I bought them from EVGA B Stock. Why? Price. I like to play my games with the graphics set as high as possible along with a great framerate. These cards each cost $100. It was a great price and what I could afford. So I used Coolbits to deal with the differing GPU VRAM.

It doesn't take total advantage of all the lastest bells and whistles but it does the job and I am happy. Regardless of what you "would go for."

And, by the way, I have a second PC with 2X6850's in crossfire. It does great too. I totally recommend SLI and Crossfire. Don't be afraid of this dude aka chicken little.

Solution
Coolbits used to be a registry key in ancient nVidia hardware that allowed you to OC . WAY back before there was OCing available in software .
I havent even heard the name for a decade or so .

I believe you can mix the two cards in SLI , and the nVidia link seems to support that .

If coolbits is still a registry key you'd have to open the windows registry editor , type in the appropriate information which seems to be "18" and save it
This might help , but check the dates . OLD
http://tinyurl.com/6w4pz4l

Whether you should SLI is another question . It would be worth searching for peoples experiences SLIing two 550's . You might just be throwing more money at a bad situation

steveroger

Distinguished
May 22, 2009

@recon: Is it worth it to SLI with Ti 550s. Short and simple answer, yes.

For example Ti 550s in SLI render playabe framerates in Crysis. 1920X1080p resolution benchmark: 35 FPS.

steveroger

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Proof from this very forum:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/119825-25-bfbc2

We already know you are marching from the same tune--in your own head. All you are doing is saying the same dull and irrelevant things over and over. All that it is getting you is deeper and deeper into clueless land. Here I will lay it all down for posterity--since you won't ever acknowledge the truth it:

1. OP has 550 ti, purchased due to $ limitation, wants better performance for a low price, asks about going with another 550 ti in SLI.
2. Guy referred to as Dude by the OP is told that his opinion about avoiding SLI and running a single GPU isn't helpful to his situation as price is a concern. Makes sense because the OP had limited funds so bought a less expensive GPU a 550 ti and wants to consider a 550 ti in SLI and second one is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a 480 which will cost over two bills even if he locates a cheap one.
3. A really nice fella--me--understands this cost issue and lets the OP know that the guy not liking to be called dude is just whack and that this dude NKA Bud is giving lousy advice because 550 ti's in SLI is not all that bad of an inexpensive solution--even gives evidence of personal experience with SLI and crossifire.
4. Bud gets all bunged up and makes the same lame points again and again. He digs deeper and deeper into la la land. He wonders about power supplies for the OP, but this is such a bad idea, Dude NKA Bud doesn't even realize that a 480 has a big power consumption need so it is going to hard for the OP to have to pay out yet more to run that. But yah know, another 550 ti doesn't really take that much additional power. Dude, I mean Bud doesn't know that a 480 can be a pig and needs 600W PS and a 6 pin and 8 pin connections--probably not in OP's possession at the moment. Looks like Bud hasn't really thought anything through in the real world.

***And last but not least, I respond to Buds claim that "this other thread" proves him right. What he thinks is right I am not sure of, but reading that thread through reveals that the trouble the 550 ti (a single or in SLI) has with BFBC2 really isn't attributal to the 550 ti (one or in SLI)--it was the lack of additional cores in the CPU. It pays to READ an entire reference prior to claiming unmitigated support to a position.

LOL, this has been fun. But I need to get back to gaming. I have some new games to tear through with my crossifre and SLI systems....

I could say more, but why? Good luck to with your PC OP.

steveroger

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
550Ti SLi is a really bad idea right now, games are consuming more than 1GB, and the 480 has 1536mb of Vram, and will be substantially smoother in games.

It is funny people bring up power consumption, when the 580 consumes the same power, it just throttles itself down.

550Ti SLi is not fast enough for todays games, look around, people are complaining of 560Ti SLi due to the Vram bottleneck.

@ steveroger, no need for personal attacks pal, we all have opinions, but i have facts.
If you have a problem with me, send me a PM and i will deal with you.

No one here has ever said that the 480 isn't good single GPU solution. In fact, many would agree with you that the single GPU is the most elagant configuration for rending games. I have and still hold that position based on my own personal experiences as well as what I have read and learned from others.

However, the question: "what is the most elegant GPU solution for PC gaming" isn't the topic of this thread started by pratmodi. I won't paraphrase what he wrote because it is fairly brief:

You responded to him with:

I would not go SLI, get yourself a GTX 480 or a Radeon 7850.

What you wrote wasn't wrong in and of itself, but it just wasn't responsive to the concerns the pratmodi had in mind. Therefore, he responded to your post with additional FACTS so that he could get the thread back on track to the concerns he was actually dealing with:

At this point, a reasonable person would have made an effort to answer pratmodi about the performance of 550 ti in SLI under the price restrictions that he had laid out. Or simply not get involved further. But you didn't do that. Instead you continued to persist about your personal opinions about single GPU's:

Let's consider what you wrote here. You do acknowledge that he bought a low cost GPU, but then rudely say that you would have bought a better one. Well, that is just great for you, but does nothing to help pratmodi.

I decided to answer pratmodi question. I have been in similar circumstances where price is a concern--I bought an EVGA B stock 285 2 GB because it was the fastest card I could get for my budget of $100. I decided I wanted even better performance soon thereafter and could only find one 285 at the same price but it had 1 GB of VRAM. I researched the issue and found a solution with Nvidia's coolbits. Therefore, I did have some pretty responsive stuff to say to pratmodi.

Another forum member added probably was the most responsive and respectful comment of the thread. After verifying my coolbits solution he said:

I took a look at the 550 ti benchmarks though google and added that to the discussion. You then went back to your same old story.

I know you are mad because I pointed out that your advice was lousy. Now you have ruffled feathers and have moved on to prattle on about the 580 and it's function with it's power supply and the effacy of pc gaming with 1GB of VRAM. Oh, and you then pontificate the potential disaster of running 550 ti's in SLI due to "people complaining" about 560Ti in SLI due to the VRAM bottleneck. As you have framed these issues with your bombshell that "550Ti SLI is a really bad idea right now, games are consuming more than 1GB, and the 480 has 1536mb of Vram, and will be substantially smoother in games."

This made me giggle like a little girl dancing around the Maypole. Here we have a hodge podge of problems that apparently pratmodi will avoid by buying a single 480 instead of just getting a second 550Ti for SLI. First, I don't buy hook, line and sinker that performance of 1GB VRAM cards is all that bad. In fact, (not my use of the word FACTS) I think there are plenty of games out there and on the way that will play just peachy with 1GB VRAM. Second, 550Ti SLI isn't a perfect performing choice, but it can and will do the trick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbXTctPyv9A; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1EFqbJf4Bk.

Sure, it is a FACT that a single GPU is better than a muliple GPU solution. But it is also a FACT that SLI and Crossfire are reasonable and functional configurations. When deciding to go SLI/Crossfire price and performance often go hand and hand. Here, pratmodi tells us that he has one 550Ti already that he purchased due to his limited funds. Now he wants to upgrade for better performance and is asking if a 550Ti with a 1.5 VRAM is a workable solution. The factual answer--my answer (take special note here recon-uk) is yes coolbits lets you do this. THIS IS A FACT recon-uk not an opinion.

The price consideration here is what is the cost of adding the 550Ti 1.5GB? I don't know the price, but if it is less than a single GPU that gives comparable performance to 550Ti's in SLI then it is is a reasonalbe thing to do. However, this question is really up to pratmodi. I don't know exactly what his budget is. But I do know he can run 550Ti's in SLI with differing VRAM and get decent performance. Is it worth it? Perhaps.

All the rest of the crap that recon-uk goes on about is largely his opinion. His first sentence here, that "550T SLi is a really bad idea right now, games are consuming more than 1GB..." Just isn't a fact. This is an opinion. Just because he claims at the end of his post that "we all have opinions, but I have facts..." doesn't make it so.

And your invitation to go to PMs. No thanks. I have no interest in having some sort of private relationship :love: with you. :kaola:

Status
Not open for further replies.