Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

warrior question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:10:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

hello. i was wondering what advice other warriors can provide on setting up
there interface bars. ie what skills do you put in which place. whats the
best way to switch between stances and have all the skills quickly
available. thanxs very much.

snoww. shadowsong.

More about : warrior question

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:10:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

In article <42af1d88$1@news1.homechoice.co.uk>,
"themamoru" <themamoru@themamoru.homechoice.co.uk> wrote:

> hello. i was wondering what advice other warriors can provide on setting up
> there interface bars. ie what skills do you put in which place. whats the
> best way to switch between stances and have all the skills quickly
> available. thanxs very much.
>
> snoww. shadowsong.


Use stancesets (which also requires weaponswitch), available at
www.curse-gaming.com. When the battle starts going sour and you need to
switch from your 2H to 1H + shield to act as an effective tank, you
can't be juggling your equipment from your bags to your character screen
while in combat. The same issue comes up if you have 1H + shield and
suddenly want to use your 2H for the biggest Overpower or Mortal Strike.
Stancesets solves that problem. I can't see a way to play an effective
warrior without it.

As for skills and stances, your main toolbar changes automatically when
you change stance, so put your stance-specific skills (e.g. Overpower,
Intercept) in that toolbar while in that stance. That way you won't
even see the non-applicable skills while in another stance. For
abilities that are similar (e.g. Charge and Intercept) I put them on the
same button slot so it's easier to remember what is where.

Also, for higher level warriors you'll want to put a full 5 points into
Tactical Mastery. This talent may look dull at first glance, but after
getting stancesets in place and using *all* your skills no matter what
stance they require, you'll see the necessity of that talent.

--
Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (29), Undead mage
Dagobert (29), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:12:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Stitt wrote:
>
> Unless you mainly play instances in which case these 5 points are wasted,
> since you'll be in defensive stance anyway 99% of the time...
>
> Stitt (60) Dwarf Warrior

Or you mainly a PvP-ior, like wise, since you'll be in berserker stance
most of time...
Related resources
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 3:02:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

chocolatemalt wrote:
>
> And even when in Def Stance a majority of the time, isn't it nice to be
> able to take advantage of a "DODGE" or to lay in a huge Mortal Strike
> when the battle is going your way?
>

In my experience, my Revenge lit out more often than not. Improve
Revenge is just as sweet as Improved Overpower. Though I don't know if
Overpower can generate as much aggro as Revenge does. But nothing top
mortal strike :-)

But like you said, if you're fighting 1 or 2 mobs in an instance, then
it is no point to be in defense mode unless that mob is the boss (mini
or otherwise).


>
> Unless you're fighting a rogue, in which case Improved Overpower is your
> path to victory. But if you have no points in Tactical Mastery, you
> have no rage when you switch to Battle Stance and your opportunity for
> smashing that "DODGE" is gone. Otherwise, yeah... I spend 99% of my
> time in pvp being totally Berzerk. :) 
>

Fury build, duel-wield, and spending rage like no tomorrow, I usually
have little or nothing left when switching stance. Else, I just hit
Bloodrage for some instan anger. Plus, I don't switch weapon much as my
off-hand axe is proc to disarm which is soooooo sweet in PvP :-)
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 3:50:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

In article <1118855529.567355.191250@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"collection2002" <linch9@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stitt wrote:
> >
> > Unless you mainly play instances in which case these 5 points are wasted,
> > since you'll be in defensive stance anyway 99% of the time...
> >
> > Stitt (60) Dwarf Warrior

I haven't done an instance tougher than BRD yet (I'm a *fresh* lvl 60!)
but at least in that one, there are enough mobs that are singletons, or
just 2 or 3 at a time, or weaker mobs for whom Defensive Stance would be
excessive caution. In the interest of time efficiency and fun, it's
nice to have Charge & Intercept, Cleave, Whirlwind, etc, a bunch of
stuff that is totally missing in Def Stance.

And even when in Def Stance a majority of the time, isn't it nice to be
able to take advantage of a "DODGE" or to lay in a huge Mortal Strike
when the battle is going your way?


> Or you mainly a PvP-ior, like wise, since you'll be in berserker stance
> most of time...

Unless you're fighting a rogue, in which case Improved Overpower is your
path to victory. But if you have no points in Tactical Mastery, you
have no rage when you switch to Battle Stance and your opportunity for
smashing that "DODGE" is gone. Otherwise, yeah... I spend 99% of my
time in pvp being totally Berzerk. :) 

--
Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (31), Undead mage
Dagobert (30), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 5:06:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

chocolatemalt wrote:
> In article <Pine.SOC.4.61.0506151634150.12357@virgo.cus.cam.ac.uk>,

> Just curious about your tactics for that situation... if you can make it
> work manually, that is amazing. :)  I don't think I could, and in any
> case I can't stomach the idea of opening a bag constantly (or leaving
> one open) in the thick of combat. Hence, I consider StanceSets to be
> mandatory, for me anyway.

You know that you can put any type of equipment into bar slots, right?
Clicking on the new slot will equip the item in question, if possible
(only weapons and shields can be equipped mid-combat).
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:55:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

In article <1118865966.166352.264500@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Periodiciii@youeatpoopy.com wrote:

> chocolatemalt wrote:
> > In article <Pine.SOC.4.61.0506151634150.12357@virgo.cus.cam.ac.uk>,
>
> > Just curious about your tactics for that situation... if you can make it
> > work manually, that is amazing. :)  I don't think I could, and in any
> > case I can't stomach the idea of opening a bag constantly (or leaving
> > one open) in the thick of combat. Hence, I consider StanceSets to be
> > mandatory, for me anyway.
>
> You know that you can put any type of equipment into bar slots, right?
> Clicking on the new slot will equip the item in question, if possible
> (only weapons and shields can be equipped mid-combat).


Never thought about that, thx for the info!

Since it would still require 3 icon clicks for a change into defensive
stance (stance icon, 1H sword, shield), it doesn't replace the
usefulness of StanceSets. But if the add-on didn't work for some reason
(conflict with another add-on) I can see where this would help.

--
Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (32), Undead mage
Dagobert (30), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:39:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, chocolatemalt wrote:

> Use stancesets (which also requires weaponswitch), available at
> www.curse-gaming.com. When the battle starts going sour and you need to
> switch from your 2H to 1H + shield to act as an effective tank, you
> can't be juggling your equipment from your bags to your character screen
> while in combat. The same issue comes up if you have 1H + shield and
> suddenly want to use your 2H for the biggest Overpower or Mortal Strike.
> Stancesets solves that problem. I can't see a way to play an effective
> warrior without it.

Normally I'm not someone who jumps in AOL-like and goes mental on people,
but I think you're wrong there. You really can play an effective warrior
without it - I believe I do. I agree totally that it might make your life
a bit easier, but with practice and patience comes perfection.

Besides, for me part of the thrill *is* in hotswapping in the middle of a
fight; it's part of the tension. If I knew 100% that by simply stabbing
one button it would react perfectly to every given situation, you would
lose out on one of the greatest aspects of being a warrior: adrenaline.

Of course I don't mean to criticise you personally; just giving an opinion
:) 

> As for skills and stances, your main toolbar changes automatically when
> you change stance, so put your stance-specific skills (e.g. Overpower,
> Intercept) in that toolbar while in that stance. That way you won't
> even see the non-applicable skills while in another stance. For
> abilities that are similar (e.g. Charge and Intercept) I put them on the
> same button slot so it's easier to remember what is where.

I agree totally with this aspect of your post, and find that an invaluable
tool. I have Charge set to my third button on the Battle Stance bar and
Intercept set to my third button on the Berserk bar, and similar with
other abilities. The abilities you can use in any stance I have in the
extra bars above the main ones. This means what while the stance buttons
(in the main bars) change as I change stance, the consistent icons remain,
well, consistent :) 

> Also, for higher level warriors you'll want to put a full 5 points into
> Tactical Mastery. This talent may look dull at first glance, but after
> getting stancesets in place and using *all* your skills no matter what
> stance they require, you'll see the necessity of that talent.

Agree here as well - you will find you want to swap stances during battle
and having the full five ranks in Tactical Mastery will be a godsend.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:08:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"H. Barker" <hb239@cam.ac.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:p ine.SOC.4.61.0506151634150.12357@virgo.cus.cam.ac.uk...

-snip-


>> Also, for higher level warriors you'll want to put a full 5 points into
>> Tactical Mastery. This talent may look dull at first glance, but after
>> getting stancesets in place and using *all* your skills no matter what
>> stance they require, you'll see the necessity of that talent.
>
> Agree here as well - you will find you want to swap stances during battle
> and having the full five ranks in Tactical Mastery will be a godsend.

Unless you mainly play instances in which case these 5 points are wasted,
since you'll be in defensive stance anyway 99% of the time...

Stitt (60) Dwarf Warrior
!