Sign in with
Your question

Friend brought an old computer for me to fix.

Last response: in Systems
July 21, 2012 4:44:51 AM

Don't know how. Hardware problem. It boots, but doesn't show the BIOS. Removed the ram, no beeps, so I'm guessing it's a motherboard problem?
July 21, 2012 5:06:10 AM

When you say 'it boots' do you get anything on the screen or do you mean it powers on?
July 21, 2012 6:25:24 AM

jprotege said:
When you say 'it boots' do you get anything on the screen or do you mean it powers on?

It powers on, but nothing on the screen.
Related resources
July 21, 2012 6:49:34 AM

I would say it's likely a mobo issue as even a driveless machine will get BIOS. As far as you know the monitor is fine I presume?
July 21, 2012 7:04:40 AM

jprotege said:
I would say it's likely a mobo issue as even a driveless machine will get BIOS. As far as you know the monitor is fine I presume?

Yeah, monitor is fine. It's an old CRT monitor. :p 
July 21, 2012 7:47:24 AM

Awesome.
I assume the tower is also just about as old as the monitor?
Might be a lost cause if so. Even the salvage parts would be quite out of date if the mobo is dead.
July 21, 2012 9:56:58 AM

jprotege said:
Awesome.
I assume the tower is also just about as old as the monitor?
Might be a lost cause if so. Even the salvage parts would be quite out of date if the mobo is dead.

No, it's my monitor that I use when I need to connect it to someone's computer to see what the problem is. lol.
a c 431 V Motherboard
July 21, 2012 11:55:29 AM

if your plugging the video cable into the mb with no adaptore. and the fans are spining..no post beeps. check that the mb has a speaker. if it does...and there no post beep with the video and ram removed. i would try a test power supply you may have lost a leg or have a bad cap. if you ues a know good power supply and still get no beeps then it the mb/cpu issue.
!