Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Friend brought an old computer for me to fix.

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 21, 2012 4:44:51 AM

Don't know how. Hardware problem. It boots, but doesn't show the BIOS. Removed the ram, no beeps, so I'm guessing it's a motherboard problem?
July 21, 2012 5:06:10 AM

When you say 'it boots' do you get anything on the screen or do you mean it powers on?
m
0
l
July 21, 2012 6:25:24 AM

jprotege said:
When you say 'it boots' do you get anything on the screen or do you mean it powers on?


It powers on, but nothing on the screen.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 21, 2012 6:49:34 AM

I would say it's likely a mobo issue as even a driveless machine will get BIOS. As far as you know the monitor is fine I presume?
m
0
l
July 21, 2012 7:04:40 AM

jprotege said:
I would say it's likely a mobo issue as even a driveless machine will get BIOS. As far as you know the monitor is fine I presume?


Yeah, monitor is fine. It's an old CRT monitor. :p 
m
0
l
July 21, 2012 7:47:24 AM

Awesome.
I assume the tower is also just about as old as the monitor?
Might be a lost cause if so. Even the salvage parts would be quite out of date if the mobo is dead.
m
0
l
July 21, 2012 9:56:58 AM

jprotege said:
Awesome.
I assume the tower is also just about as old as the monitor?
Might be a lost cause if so. Even the salvage parts would be quite out of date if the mobo is dead.


No, it's my monitor that I use when I need to connect it to someone's computer to see what the problem is. lol.
m
0
l
a c 464 V Motherboard
July 21, 2012 11:55:29 AM

if your plugging the video cable into the mb with no adaptore. and the fans are spining..no post beeps. check that the mb has a speaker. if it does...and there no post beep with the video and ram removed. i would try a test power supply you may have lost a leg or have a bad cap. if you ues a know good power supply and still get no beeps then it the mb/cpu issue.
m
0
l
!