Sign in with
Your question

AMD 7750 gives no signal

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 28, 2012 10:11:42 AM

Hello all,

It seems like I have some trouble getting my new videocard to work. I think I tried about everything to get it to work, but without any succes. I also searched all kinds of forums for the similar problem, no luck though. I will explain what's going on.

This week I bought new components to setup a new pc. This is what I bought:

MoBo: Asus P8H61-M LE
Processor: Intel G620
RAM: ADATA 4GB DDR3 1333
PSU: Cooler Master Glite Power 400W
GPU: Sapphire ATI HD 7750 1GB
DVD: LG GH24 SATA

From my old rig only the case and the 320 GB Seagate Barracuda are used.

Now everything went well installing until I installed the new GPU. When I power on my computer I get nothing to display, not even my BIOS. So just staring at a black screen since my monitor says "No signal detected" The monitor is a BenQ FP202WA(v1) with VGA input only, but since the GPU came with VGA to DVI adapter that shouldn't be the problem. So this is what I tried to get it to work:

- Updated BIOS to the newest version using the ASUS update tool.
- Set my BIOS to use PEG only
- Reset CMOS (jumper and battery)
- Checked if other GPU's worked (ATI 1950GT & ATI 4850) with the adapter, and they did work.
- Set my BIOS to use the onboard video, with the 7750 installed. Booted Windows 7 and I saw Windows recognizing the GPU. So I installed the 7750 drivers from the AMD ATI Support site. I restarted the computer, set my BIOS to PEG and then....nothing. Again staring at a black screen which only says "No signal detected":??: 

Now I'm thinking of returning the GPU back to the shop next weekend and try a Sapphire 6850, but first I want to know if you guys have some great ideas/advice which I didn't think of yet. The strange thing is I can get other GPU's to work, but not this 7750, so I think it can't be the PSU or MoBo. Anyway, all your help is greatly appreciated!

More about : amd 7750 signal

May 28, 2012 10:38:16 AM

remove out the ram for a while then put it back, also make sure you've fitted the gpu into pci-e slot correctly. Try other adapter?
May 28, 2012 10:43:55 AM

Hi, I forgot to mention that option. I also removed all of the components from the mobo, including the RAM, for an hour (when I did the CMOS reset). I also tried the other RAM slot. I used the adapter I got with the 4850 and the one that was included with the 7750. Sadly, the story remained the same...
Related resources
May 28, 2012 11:06:53 AM

Do you have a chance to test the vid card in another computer or the current setup with another monitor ? It seems that your monitor is too old with just a VGA input.

May 28, 2012 11:11:36 AM

RMA... Asap....
May 28, 2012 11:14:43 AM

i have an hd 6770 and two old crt monitors with vga only and it works good even in eyefinity so his monitor is no the problem
May 28, 2012 2:16:04 PM

Dear adamdbz,

You may be right. But please note that his card is different. Radeon HD7750 is a PCIe version 3.0 card. Yours is a PCIe version 2.1 card. Therefore, things may be different for both his M/B and monitor. That's why I said test the card in another computer or the computer with a different monitor.

Anyway, thanks for your input.
May 28, 2012 5:29:33 PM

No harm done :D 
May 29, 2012 4:50:22 PM

xtreme5 said:
RMA... Asap....

Thanks for you reply. I will do so if the problem hasn't been solved before this weekend.
May 29, 2012 5:09:11 PM

suat said:
Do you have a chance to test the vid card in another computer or the current setup with another monitor ? It seems that your monitor is too old with just a VGA input.

Hello Suat, first off thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have another monitor to my disposal at the moment. I'm thinking of rebuilding my old setup, but have to find the time to do so, and check if the 7750 works. I always assumed PCI-E is backwards compatible, since my previous MoBo has PCI-E 1.0 and the ATI4850 is 2.0. I had no problem whatsoever using that card on that MoBo. And can you explain to me why the monitor could be the problem? All the GPU's I used before had a DVI output and using the adapter I was able to hook them up to the (VGA) monitor. Could something be changed in the signal or something in the past few years?
May 30, 2012 7:18:52 AM

PCIe version 1.1 is known to be more compatible with the newer video cards than PCIe version 1.0. Therefore, in my opinion you should look for ways to make your M/B PCIe version 1.1 compatible by requesting a newer BIOS from the M/B manufacturer, if one is available, of course. Even if you have the new BIOS, you may not be able to run your new video card Radeon HD7750. This video card is of the newest generation PCIe standard. You have to try and see.

The monitor could be a problem, I thought, because HD7750 video output signal strength may be lower than the required video input signal strength of the old monitor. New gen low power video cards may not generate enough power signals. Just a thought. But after you said your PCIe version is of 1.0, then that should be the most probable culprit.
June 1, 2012 2:03:18 AM

Occams razor, I hate to be the one to say it - but the card is probably bricked.

You've tried all the sensible things - the fact is that there is no reason why it should not work. And that it isn't probably means it is knackered. Broken. Kaput. Mezzed. Futzed...

Taking a squint through this thread - did you mention that the fan on the card is spinning up alright? If it is - then it's your card that is the problem. If it isn't - it is still probably the card, but it may also be your psu.
June 1, 2012 10:14:12 AM

All, thanks for the replies! The problem has been solved now by...buying a new video card... I ordered the Asus EAH6850 which was delivered yesterday. I installed it, hooked up my monitor and now everything works as it should.

The other card just seems to be broken. Everything worked, but the output. Tomorrow I'm going back to the shop where I bought it and ask for a refund.

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
June 1, 2012 1:19:48 PM

I have been trying to get a PCIe 2.1 XFX HD6850 to run in my ASUS M3N78 Mobo (PCIE 2.0) with updated bios and have tried all i can think of - starting to think the card is DOA also - fan works, just can't get it recognised at all as a device or to output anything...
Pleased to hear you got your problem solved!
!