Desktop Theme?

April 8, 2005 1:07:14 AM

Hi. I was just wondering if any of you can recommend a good, compatible
software for creating desktop themes? A friend mentioned Desktop Architect
but said that it wasn't fully compatible with XP. I've also heard of
DesktopX. Any of you use it?

Thanks heaps!

More about : desktop theme

April 8, 2005 5:40:34 AM

In news:B74B462B-3A2F-4EDD-849D-EBE63A3E868D@microsoft.com,
ting <ting@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi. I was just wondering if any of you can recommend a good,
> compatible software for creating desktop themes? A friend mentioned
> Desktop Architect but said that it wasn't fully compatible with XP.
> I've also heard of DesktopX. Any of you use it?
>
> Thanks heaps!

Nope, I've never used it. I've heard GREAT stuff about this:

http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/

I own a copy of their WindowBlinds which I use to skin my OS. It's a bit
pricey but I hear it's worth it. Just something more for you to look at I
suppose. Note that the above link isn't an affiliate link or anything, I'm
not interested in making money.

Galen
April 8, 2005 5:40:35 AM

Thanks, Galen! Haven't finished reading through it, but looks good. Thanks.

"Galen" wrote:

> Nope, I've never used it. I've heard GREAT stuff about this:
>
> http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/
>
> I own a copy of their WindowBlinds which I use to skin my OS. It's a bit
> pricey but I hear it's worth it. Just something more for you to look at I
> suppose. Note that the above link isn't an affiliate link or anything, I'm
> not interested in making money.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Related resources
April 8, 2005 7:00:14 AM

In news:1ACE586B-EF77-43CE-9342-58874F93172A@microsoft.com,
ting <ting@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Thanks, Galen! Haven't finished reading through it, but looks good.
> Thanks.

No problems and let me know what you think, they have trial versions of some
of the software that's included with the pack there.

Galen
April 8, 2005 7:00:15 AM

In article <O8zVfiAPFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, galennews@gmail.com
says...
> In news:1ACE586B-EF77-43CE-9342-58874F93172A@microsoft.com,
> ting <ting@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > Thanks, Galen! Haven't finished reading through it, but looks good.
> > Thanks.
>
> No problems and let me know what you think, they have trial versions of some
> of the software that's included with the pack there.
>
> Galen

Hello. I have been using Style XP for over a year and it seems to do
the best job. I covers, theme, icons, boot screens, login
screens,cursors, explorer menu themes,backgrounds and transparencies. It
comes with already made thems, and a ton more can be downloaded at their
site.
http://www.tgtsoft.com/
you can try before you buy. It's shareware.
wetink
April 8, 2005 9:28:50 AM

In news:MPG.1cbfe5a92bb309fb98968f@news.comcast.giganews.com,
Dave Smith <wetink444@gmail.com> had this to say:

> Hello. I have been using Style XP for over a year and it seems to do
> the best job. I covers, theme, icons, boot screens, login
> screens,cursors, explorer menu themes,backgrounds and transparencies.
> It comes with already made thems, and a ton more can be downloaded at
> their site.
> http://www.tgtsoft.com/
> you can try before you buy. It's shareware.
> wetink

Some of their themes are 'wrapped' when you download them and install
adware/spyware to your system. I don't recommend anyone use it if they're
affiliated with such practices.

Galen
April 8, 2005 9:28:51 AM

In article <ubhHh1BPFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, galennews@gmail.com
says...
> In news:MPG.1cbfe5a92bb309fb98968f@news.comcast.giganews.com,
> Dave Smith <wetink444@gmail.com> had this to say:

> > Hello. I have been using Style XP for over a year and it seems to do
> > the best job. I covers, theme, icons, boot screens, login
> > screens,cursors, explorer menu themes,backgrounds and transparencies.
> > It comes with already made thems, and a ton more can be downloaded at
> > their site.
> > http://www.tgtsoft.com/
> > you can try before you buy. It's shareware.
> > wetink
>
> Some of their themes are 'wrapped' when you download them and install
> adware/spyware to your system. I don't recommend anyone use it if they're
> affiliated with such practices.

> Galen

Well I guess I have just been lucky. I have probably downloaded 30 or so
over the last year. I also run up to date adware spyware and virus
programs.
wetink
April 8, 2005 7:24:38 PM

In news:Xns963273D02599Fkmo@216.168.3.50,
KMO <kmo53153@aol.com> had this to say:

> But it is disclosed during the installation and all you need do is
> remove the check marks and say you do not wish it to be installed.
> ya just have to read what you are doing. :)

I did read :)  I just figure 90% won't. (Read the NGs and see why I think
it's 90%.) If people insist on using it then I try to warn them to look out
for the ones with the red asterisk marking them. At least they're clearly
labeled and I give them credit for that.

Galen
April 8, 2005 7:27:06 PM

In news:MPG.1cc0094b14339702989690@news.comcast.giganews.com,
Dave Smith <wetink444@gmail.com> had this to say:

> Well I guess I have just been lucky. I have probably downloaded 30 or
> so over the last year. I also run up to date adware spyware and virus
> programs.
> wetink

Just look out for the ones marked with a red asterisk. They come with some
additional features that you probably don't want. You can opt to not install
them (as has been pointed out) but the verbiage and the putting the wrapped
warning on a separate page is really my pet peeve. Note that it's MY pet
peeve and you're free to do anything you'd like. I just think that most
people happily click "Okay" as quickly as they can and I feel that the
company is probably aware of this.

Galen
April 8, 2005 11:37:01 PM

Thanks, guys! I'll check out Style XP. Seems like it's got a lot of
features I could use.

Ting

"KMO" wrote:

> Dave Smith <wetink444@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Hello. I have been using Style XP for over a year and it seems to do
> > the best job. I covers, theme, icons, boot screens, login
> > screens,cursors, explorer menu themes,backgrounds and transparencies. It
> > comes with already made thems, and a ton more can be downloaded at their
> > site.
> >

> Have to agree, love Style XP. I replaced it over windowblinds. This one
> is easy to use and probably less of a memory hog, IMO.
>
> --
> ~Karen~

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 2:43:13 AM

Windowblinds is the route to take. Check out www.wincustomize.com. By the way, WB is NOT a resource hog.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"ting" <ting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00EBCEB8-A3A9-484D-A7FB-57CB11F31C77@microsoft.com...
| Thanks, guys! I'll check out Style XP. Seems like it's got a lot of
| features I could use.
|
| Ting
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 5:27:06 AM

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:43:13 -0500, » mrtee « wrote:

> Windowblinds is the route to take. Check out www.wincustomize.com. By the way, WB is NOT a resource hog.

I've used both and prefer WindowsBlinds as well.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User