Desktop Theme?

Hi. I was just wondering if any of you can recommend a good, compatible
software for creating desktop themes? A friend mentioned Desktop Architect
but said that it wasn't fully compatible with XP. I've also heard of
DesktopX. Any of you use it?

Thanks heaps!
11 answers Last reply
More about desktop theme

    In news:B74B462B-3A2F-4EDD-849D-EBE63A3E868D@microsoft.com,
    ting <ting@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hi. I was just wondering if any of you can recommend a good,
    > compatible software for creating desktop themes? A friend mentioned
    > Desktop Architect but said that it wasn't fully compatible with XP.
    > I've also heard of DesktopX. Any of you use it?
    >
    > Thanks heaps!

    Nope, I've never used it. I've heard GREAT stuff about this:

    http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/

    I own a copy of their WindowBlinds which I use to skin my OS. It's a bit
    pricey but I hear it's worth it. Just something more for you to look at I
    suppose. Note that the above link isn't an affiliate link or anything, I'm
    not interested in making money.

    Galen

    Thanks, Galen! Haven't finished reading through it, but looks good. Thanks.

    In news:1ACE586B-EF77-43CE-9342-58874F93172A@microsoft.com,
    ting <ting@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Thanks, Galen! Haven't finished reading through it, but looks good.
    > Thanks.

    No problems and let me know what you think, they have trial versions of some
    of the software that's included with the pack there.

    Galen

    In article <O8zVfiAPFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, galennews@gmail.com
    says...
    > In news:1ACE586B-EF77-43CE-9342-58874F93172A@microsoft.com,
    > ting <ting@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > Thanks, Galen! Haven't finished reading through it, but looks good.
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > No problems and let me know what you think, they have trial versions of some
    > of the software that's included with the pack there.
    >
    > Galen

    Hello. I have been using Style XP for over a year and it seems to do
    the best job. I covers, theme, icons, boot screens, login
    screens,cursors, explorer menu themes,backgrounds and transparencies. It
    comes with already made thems, and a ton more can be downloaded at their
    site.
    http://www.tgtsoft.com/
    you can try before you buy. It's shareware.
    wetink

    In news:MPG.1cbfe5a92bb309fb98968f@news.comcast.giganews.com,
    Dave Smith <wetink444@gmail.com> had this to say:

    > Hello. I have been using Style XP for over a year and it seems to do
    > the best job. I covers, theme, icons, boot screens, login
    > screens,cursors, explorer menu themes,backgrounds and transparencies.
    > It comes with already made thems, and a ton more can be downloaded at
    > their site.
    > http://www.tgtsoft.com/
    > you can try before you buy. It's shareware.
    > wetink

    Some of their themes are 'wrapped' when you download them and install
    adware/spyware to your system. I don't recommend anyone use it if they're
    affiliated with such practices.

    Galen

    In article <ubhHh1BPFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, galennews@gmail.com
    says...
    > In news:MPG.1cbfe5a92bb309fb98968f@news.comcast.giganews.com,
    > Dave Smith <wetink444@gmail.com> had this to say:

    > > Hello. I have been using Style XP for over a year and it seems to do
    > > the best job. I covers, theme, icons, boot screens, login
    > > screens,cursors, explorer menu themes,backgrounds and transparencies.
    > > It comes with already made thems, and a ton more can be downloaded at
    > > their site.
    > > http://www.tgtsoft.com/
    > > you can try before you buy. It's shareware.
    > > wetink
    >
    > Some of their themes are 'wrapped' when you download them and install
    > adware/spyware to your system. I don't recommend anyone use it if they're
    > affiliated with such practices.

    > Galen

    Well I guess I have just been lucky. I have probably downloaded 30 or so
    over the last year. I also run up to date adware spyware and virus
    programs.
    wetink

    In news:Xns963273D02599Fkmo@216.168.3.50,
    KMO <kmo53153@aol.com> had this to say:

    > But it is disclosed during the installation and all you need do is
    > remove the check marks and say you do not wish it to be installed.
    > ya just have to read what you are doing. :)

    I did read :) I just figure 90% won't. (Read the NGs and see why I think
    it's 90%.) If people insist on using it then I try to warn them to look out
    for the ones with the red asterisk marking them. At least they're clearly
    labeled and I give them credit for that.

    Galen

    In news:MPG.1cc0094b14339702989690@news.comcast.giganews.com,
    Dave Smith <wetink444@gmail.com> had this to say:

    > Well I guess I have just been lucky. I have probably downloaded 30 or
    > so over the last year. I also run up to date adware spyware and virus
    > programs.
    > wetink

    Just look out for the ones marked with a red asterisk. They come with some
    additional features that you probably don't want. You can opt to not install
    them (as has been pointed out) but the verbiage and the putting the wrapped
    warning on a separate page is really my pet peeve. Note that it's MY pet
    peeve and you're free to do anything you'd like. I just think that most
    people happily click "Okay" as quickly as they can and I feel that the
    company is probably aware of this.

    Galen

    Thanks, guys! I'll check out Style XP. Seems like it's got a lot of
    features I could use.

    Ting

    "KMO" wrote:

    > Dave Smith <wetink444@gmail.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Hello. I have been using Style XP for over a year and it seems to do
    > > the best job. I covers, theme, icons, boot screens, login
    > > screens,cursors, explorer menu themes,backgrounds and transparencies. It
    > > comes with already made thems, and a ton more can be downloaded at their
    > > site.
    > >

    > Have to agree, love Style XP. I replaced it over windowblinds. This one
    > is easy to use and probably less of a memory hog, IMO.
    >
    > --
    > ~Karen~

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Windowblinds is the route to take. Check out www.wincustomize.com. By the way, WB is NOT a resource hog.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "ting" <ting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00EBCEB8-A3A9-484D-A7FB-57CB11F31C77@microsoft.com...
    | Thanks, guys! I'll check out Style XP. Seems like it's got a lot of
    | features I could use.
    |
    | Ting
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:43:13 -0500, » mrtee « wrote:

    > Windowblinds is the route to take. Check out www.wincustomize.com. By the way, WB is NOT a resource hog.

    I've used both and prefer WindowsBlinds as well.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Product