Can my PSU run my rig?

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Can it? Yes the build would probably run. Should you? Absolutely not, Raidmax isn't exactly known for being a quality brand. Look for something from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX or another quality brand. A cx430/500 would suffice for the 6850.

DavidY

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

I agree on that poor Raidmax PS.

Get a 550 watt XFX Core Edition Pro Series (Seasonic) instead. Another is the 650 watt Corsair TX650V2 (Seasonic). Another in this price range ($60-$70) is the Antec EA-650 Green (Delta).

Dave

axsmith234

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Lol, I'm sorry, I am just trying to get a straight answer supported with facts telling me why I shouldn't buy this PSU. All anybody can come up with is that Raidmax has a bad reputation, which surely doesn't agree with what the ratings are on newegg... I obviously am not telling you to but maybe it would be better to actually support your reasoning with facts and maybe people will actually think that your knowledge and worth listening to your input, and not just talking out of your butt about what you think a raidmax product is like. If this came off as rude it was not ment to be....just trying desperately to save pennies while not killing my stuff. But I was trying to get a answer on how the 2 12v thing would work on the build...

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Do what you like...but don't ask volunteers questions, ignore their advice and then abuse them. You want to spend $215 on a cpu an save $10 buying a cheap psu, go ahead. Probably about 90% chance it won't kill your gear.

Here is my proof Raidmax is Tier 5 http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

DavidY

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
If budget is tight, you can maybe downgrade your case to a cheaper one. HD 7770 might be cheaper than HD 6850 as well...they are similar performing. Any savings in these two items could be put to the power supply.

Dave

axsmith234

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

can't already have the case bought and sitting in my house. I realize the case is messing my budget up but my whole theme for this computer are cold cathodes and see through stuff...thats why I wanted a blue led powersupply

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
I understand when people want to match colors to look good, but you shouldn't be choosing a PSU because it's the right color.

Sure, that Raidmax will probably work fine for you. The point people are trying to make is two-fold:

1. Some manufacturers make PSU's that fail at a low rate and some at a high rate. Raidmax just isn't that good. Yes, some of there PSU's work very well, many don't

2. Never skimp on the PSU. You don't want to spend all that money on a nice i5 IB just to take a greater chance that your PSU will blow it all up.

Lastly, you came here asking for advice. If you don't like that advice, buy whatever you want, just don't say you weren't warned.

DavidY

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Both have good reviews...OCZ is a Sirtec, Corsair a CWT:

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1519/pg6/corsair-gs800-gaming-series-power-supply-review-conclusion.html

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-Fatal1ty-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/1019/10

Dave

G

then just get it and stop with the same question over and over.
i just highly suggest you keep some graham crackers, chocolate and a bag of marshmallows handy so if/when the PSU goes up in flames you can make some s'mores.

now go away. :heink: