Questions about upgrading from a AMD Athlon(tm) X4 630 Processor 2.80G

Hello!

I just recently upgraded my graphics card (AMD 4800 ) and power supply, which I am pretty happy with. Being able to play Skyrim and other great games at top performance is very fun.

But I just downloaded Planetside 2 and Battlefield 3 for my computer, and I can barley take a few steps forward without having to turn everything down and try again, only to see clipping and 'lag'.

I checked my frame rate in Planetside 2, and its at 10-13.

So I figured its probably my CPU, which is a AMD Athlon(tm) X4 630 Processor 2.80GHz .

In order to upgrade I need to figure out what socket type I have (Or so I'm told )

The CPU came with the computer, a HP Model# p6654y .

I'm not quite sure where to go with all of this information, I don't even know how to install a new CPU.

Please help people of Tom's Hardware, you are my only hope...
11 answers Last reply
More about questions upgrading athlon processor
  1. when you are in game does your cpu peg at 100%? and what gpu did you get?
  2. I have AMD Overdrive, and while I was in a major city in Guild Wars 2 I checked it, I opened the window up and my friend took a look at it, saying it was at 98-100% already, and I couldn't really overclock it. Hopefully that answered your question, otherwise I don't know how else to check that.
  3. So no overclocking? you could get.

Processor upgrade information
    Max TDP: 95W
    Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    NOTE: Only Socket AM3 processors are supported with this motherboard.
    AMD Phenom II X6 10xxT Six-Core (Thuban core)
    AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb core).
    So what's your budget for a new cpu? or do you want to try an overclock with a decent cpu cooler first to see if it makes a difference?

Also how much ram do you have installed?
  4. Budget is only about $85-$115, and I'd rather get a nice new CPU rather then trying to overclock it.

I have 4GB of RAM right now.

Thanks a lot by the way, big help. :)
  5. Matheck said:
    Budget is only about $85-$115, and I'd rather get a nice new CPU rather then trying to overclock it.

I have 4GB of RAM right now.

Thanks a lot by the way, big help. :)

haha no worries ^_^, ok where are you able or where do you want to purchase from?
  6. I usually get all of my computer hardware from Newegg.com
  7. Matheck said:
    I usually get all of my computer hardware from Newegg.com

hmm we seems to have hit a wall, their are no 95W phenom 2's in stock :/ the only upgrades that you can get is a a better clock-speed on the proc you already own it seems :/
  8. I upgraded my power supply to 575W, so it should be good
  9. ok I'm no expert on PSU's but I have heard nothing good about LOGISYS.... Anyway Just remember that that probably doesn't even output 400W safely anyway.

But your motherboard only supports 95W cpu's , I think you should either buy the phenom x6 95W and OC' it a little OR, you should OC what you have and save up for a new motherboard+cpu. (probably won't cost even over $200 for a good upgrade).
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Product