Sign in with
Your question

Questions about upgrading from a AMD Athlon(tm) X4 630 Processor 2.80G

Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2012 3:42:59 AM

Hello!

I just recently upgraded my graphics card (AMD 4800 ) and power supply, which I am pretty happy with. Being able to play Skyrim and other great games at top performance is very fun.

But I just downloaded Planetside 2 and Battlefield 3 for my computer, and I can barley take a few steps forward without having to turn everything down and try again, only to see clipping and 'lag'.

I checked my frame rate in Planetside 2, and its at 10-13.

So I figured its probably my CPU, which is a AMD Athlon(tm) X4 630 Processor 2.80GHz .

In order to upgrade I need to figure out what socket type I have (Or so I'm told )

The CPU came with the computer, a HP Model# p6654y .

I'm not quite sure where to go with all of this information, I don't even know how to install a new CPU.

Please help people of Tom's Hardware, you are my only hope...
December 2, 2012 3:47:21 AM

when you are in game does your cpu peg at 100%? and what gpu did you get?
m
l
December 2, 2012 3:52:17 AM

I have AMD Overdrive, and while I was in a major city in Guild Wars 2 I checked it, I opened the window up and my friend took a look at it, saying it was at 98-100% already, and I couldn't really overclock it. Hopefully that answered your question, otherwise I don't know how else to check that.
m
l
Related resources
December 2, 2012 4:16:31 AM

So no overclocking? you could get.

Processor upgrade information
Max TDP: 95W
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
NOTE: Only Socket AM3 processors are supported with this motherboard.
AMD Phenom II X6 10xxT Six-Core (Thuban core)
AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb core).
So what's your budget for a new cpu? or do you want to try an overclock with a decent cpu cooler first to see if it makes a difference?

Also how much ram do you have installed?
m
l
December 2, 2012 4:31:33 AM

Budget is only about $85-$115, and I'd rather get a nice new CPU rather then trying to overclock it.

I have 4GB of RAM right now.

Thanks a lot by the way, big help. :) 

m
l
December 2, 2012 4:54:16 AM

Matheck said:
Budget is only about $85-$115, and I'd rather get a nice new CPU rather then trying to overclock it.

I have 4GB of RAM right now.

Thanks a lot by the way, big help. :) 

haha no worries ^_^, ok where are you able or where do you want to purchase from?
m
l
December 2, 2012 5:04:17 AM

I usually get all of my computer hardware from Newegg.com
m
l
December 2, 2012 5:20:35 AM

Matheck said:
I usually get all of my computer hardware from Newegg.com

hmm we seems to have hit a wall, their are no 95W phenom 2's in stock :/  the only upgrades that you can get is a a better clock-speed on the proc you already own it seems :/ 
m
l
December 2, 2012 2:12:29 PM

I upgraded my power supply to 575W, so it should be good
m
l
December 2, 2012 10:21:21 PM

ok I'm no expert on PSU's but I have heard nothing good about LOGISYS.... Anyway Just remember that that probably doesn't even output 400W safely anyway.

But your motherboard only supports 95W cpu's , I think you should either buy the phenom x6 95W and OC' it a little OR, you should OC what you have and save up for a new motherboard+cpu. (probably won't cost even over $200 for a good upgrade).
m
l
!