Need Help on first build

Approximate Purchase Date: i would like to get it within the next 2 months before summer ends

Budget Range: Under $1500 in total

System Usage from Most to Least Important:

Are you buying a monitor: yes i will be upgrading my monitor but later on and not right away

Include the OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.com or tiger direct

Location: Ontario Canada (if i were to buy in store it would be from Canada computers)

Overclocking: Yes i would really like to start overclocking

SLI or Crossfire: maybe but not for awhile

Your Monitor Resolution: right now i have a monitor that is 1600x900 DVI but i will most likely but upgrading to 1920x1080 hdmi

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_65&item_id=045425
CPU cooler: I don't know if i should get a Corsair Hydro Series H60 or heatsink and fan? what would you recommend for overclocking?
Mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_722&item_id=047292
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_312_612&item_id=035786
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 3.5IN 16MB Cache SATA3
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_1086_210_212&item_id=042240
SSD: OCZ (VTX3-25SAT3-120G) Vertex 3 2.5" 120GB
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1088&item_id=037112
GPU: Radeon Hd 7950 (I dont know what brand to get, most likely one for a good price though)
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_558&item_id=045607
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B Black SATA DVD Writer 24x
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=3_61&item_id=042481
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=530&item_id=037803
Case: Coolermaster HAF XM ATX Mid Tower Case
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_112&item_id=045876
Wireless network card: TP-LINK TL-WN851ND, 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1048_1049&item_id=042012
PSU: ??? I'm not sure of what power supply is needed or if i should go modular or not. please give me some insight to this thanks.
Are all these parts compatible?? And if you could see some changes please help me and thanks!
11 answers Last reply
More about need build
  1. I wouldn't mess with any of the corsair all in ones. People are having to RMA alot of them. They're fairly problematic and not too much better than a top notch air cooler. Try something like this...

    Noctua NH-D14 LGA1155/1156/1366/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler w/ NF-P14 140mm & NF-P12 120mm Fan
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=47090&vpn=NH-D14&manufacture=Noctua&promoid=1268

    Or this...

    Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=64385&vpn=RR-212E-20PK-R2&manufacture=COOLERMASTER

    I'd recommend that you get RAM without tall heatspreaders. This way it won't interfere with your heatsink. Try something like this...

    G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR Sniper SE 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 1.5V Memory Kit
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=59975&vpn=F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR&manufacture=G%2ESkill

    Storage looks good.

    I typically go with GPUs with custom coolers like this...
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 Windforce
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=67546&vpn=GV-R795WF3-3GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1405

    Or if you want more power, I'd go with this...

    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=71107&vpn=GV-N670OC-2GD&manufacture=Gigabyte

    Power supply:

    PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=55515&promoid=1382

    Or...

    Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=62826&vpn=CP-9020003-NA&manufacture=Corsair

    Oh, and there's tons of cases. Not sure if you're absolutely stuck on the haf case. But you can try cases like this too...

    Coolermaster HAF 922
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=38996&vpn=RC-922M-KKN1-GP&manufacture=COOLERMASTER

    Corsair Carbide Series 400R
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=61928&vpn=CC-9011011-WW&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1261

    Corsair Vengeance Series C70
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=70457&vpn=CC-9011019-WW&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1360

    Antec 900
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=33861E22&vpn=NINE%20HUNDRED&manufacture=ANTEC%20-%20CASES

    Antec Eleven Hundred Performance Gaming Case
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=65171&vpn=ELEVEN%20HUNDRED&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1010

    Everything else looks good. Just pick and choose what you like, then make sure it fits your budget. Hope this helps. Good luck! :)
  2. Case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7108921&sku=T925-1336 59.99
    PSU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=419877&sku=T925-3083 89.99
    Motherboard: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=618836&sku=A455-3019 179.99
    CPU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1308191&sku=A79-8150 199.99
    RAM: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1818722&sku=A79-1007 58.99
    SSD: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2267400&sku=O261-6408 114.99
    HD: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7288051&sku=TSD-1000EALX 89.99
    Video Card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2262775&sku=A455-7870 329.99
    Monitor: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=735812&sku=A179-2360 129.99
    Keyboard and Mouse: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6572352&sku=L23-8134 39.99
    Speakers: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3832359&sku=L23-8622 24.99
    Headset: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6524877&sku=L23-0093 39.99


    Networking: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7069339&sku=A455-3082 129.99
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1528873&sku=A455-3130 39.99

    This fits your budget just fine, and I have included EVERYTHING for the build. If you don’t need stuff just subtract it. Will run any game just fine.
    Total: 1528.86
  3. JefferyD90 said:
    Case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7108921&sku=T925-1336 59.99
    PSU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=419877&sku=T925-3083 89.99
    Motherboard: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=618836&sku=A455-3019 179.99
    CPU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1308191&sku=A79-8150 199.99
    RAM: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1818722&sku=A79-1007 58.99
    SSD: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2267400&sku=O261-6408 114.99
    HD: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7288051&sku=TSD-1000EALX 89.99
    Video Card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2262775&sku=A455-7870 329.99
    Monitor: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=735812&sku=A179-2360 129.99
    Keyboard and Mouse: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6572352&sku=L23-8134 39.99
    Speakers: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3832359&sku=L23-8622 24.99
    Headset: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6524877&sku=L23-0093 39.99


    Networking: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7069339&sku=A455-3082 129.99
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1528873&sku=A455-3130 39.99

    This fits your budget just fine, and I have included EVERYTHING for the build. If you don’t need stuff just subtract it. Will run any game just fine.
    Total: 1528.86


    Sadly, the FX 8150 sucks for gaming. Either the 2500k or 3570k would run circles around that processor in every benchmark and game out there. No need to put a AMD processor in a $1500 gaming build. :non: For $1200-1300 you can get an i5 and a gtx 670. :lol:
  4. DeusAres said:
    Sadly, the FX 8150 sucks for gaming. Either the 2500k or 3570k would run circles around that processor in every benchmark and game out there. No need to put a AMD processor in a $1500 gaming build. :non: For $1200-1300 you can get an i5 and a gtx 670. :lol:

    Name one game the 8150 cant run full steam ahead?
  5. JefferyD90 said:
    Name one game the 8150 cant run full steam ahead?


    Easy enough...Skyrim.

    But that's clearly not the point I'm trying to make here. Games will suffer from a significant performance loss using the FX 8150. Games don't fully utilize those 8 cores. It's pointless really.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-hotfix-bulldozer-performance,3119-4.html

    Just look at the above benchmark. Sure, the fx 8150 can run games, but not at an optimal level. Besides, if I'm gonna pay $200 for a processor, I may as well get the one that's gonna perform the best in the applications I'll be running. Why bottleneck the performance when the budget allows for better such as the i5?
  6. DeusAres said:
    Easy enough...Skyrim.

    But that's clearly not the point I'm trying to make here. Games will suffer from a significant performance loss using the FX 8150. Games don't fully utilize those 8 cores. It's pointless really.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-hotfix-bulldozer-performance,3119-4.html

    Just look at the above benchmark. Sure, the fx 8150 can run games, but not at an optimal level. Besides, if I'm gonna pay $200 for a processor, I may as well get the one that's gonna perform the best in the applications I'll be running. Why bottleneck the performance when the budget allows for better such as the i5?

    What? Skyrim? Its honestly not even that intensive of a game? are you even for real?
  7. Just stop denying the facts. In every thread, you try so hard to prove yourself and it never works.
  8. azeem40 said:
    Just stop denying the facts. In every thread, you try so hard to prove yourself and it never works.

    So I guess thats why you follow me around on more than half the thread I post on? Its like someone cant leave me alone :p
  9. JefferyD90 said:
    So I guess thats why you follow me around on more than half the thread I post on? Its like someone cant leave me alone :p


    No, some people just can't quit spreading false propaganda. Bottom line...FX processors DO NOT perform well in gaming. I give you a link containing proof and you still deny the obvious.

    And if Skyrim isn't that intensive of a game, then why is the FX 8150 (8 core processor) getting it's ass handed to it by an i5 2500k (quad core)? ....Not to mention, the 2500k is much older than the FX processors.
  10. Look, Skyrim runs GREAT on my PC, and its just a 1075T and I know the 6core bulldozer performs better than mine does. I get at least 60fps+. I don’t run FRAPS all the time but when I do I never see it dip below 50, and mind you I don’t run mine overclocked...

    Another thing, for every benchmark you have to down a product (AMD or Intel or whatever company you desire) there is one to bring it up. Also note that the benchmarks you showed have the FX running at practically the same frame rates no matter what the settings are, ever heard of frame limits.
  11. Actually, there's benchmarks out there that show the phenom processors outdoing the new FX processors.

    This kid is truly in denial. And if there's benchmarks in the FX 8150s favor, I'd love to see 'em. And not by just 1 or 2 frames. That proves nothing.

    And that's not "frame limits" bud. That's called a bottleneck. In this case, it's a CPU bottleneck. Skyrim is fairly CPU intensive. It's rather sad when an older quad core beats out an "8 core".

    Also, just because YOU have an AMD based system, not everyone else wants a system like yours. I would honestly love to see AMD outdo intel. Their pricing is much more fair. AMD also had a good thing going for 'em when they released the phenom IIs. The FX line of CPUs, however, was just a big flop.

    One more point and I'm going to attempt to ignore your biased replies for the night...No one in their right mind is going to put an AMD CPU in a $1500 gaming build. Like I stated above, if I can get an i5 3570k and a gtx 670 based build for $1200, why the hell would I throw sub-par components in my system for a total of $1500? Even the GPU you recommended is a ton weaker than the gtx 670. I just don't understand. Please tell me you're trolling and this is just a huge prank...
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product