Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will single GTX 690 be enough for 3D Vision Surround?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 28, 2012 2:21:13 PM

I'm planning to set-up a Nvidia 3D vision surround system and I need opinion if I'm going on the right track. Currently I have Nvidia Surround Setup on a single GTX 590 with 5760x1080 resolution (5960x1080 bezel corrected) and the card performs just fairly enough to run all the games smooth. Yet, I want to try 3D surround this time. I'm going to have GTX 690 as replacement of my 590. I don't think a single 690 is enough since 3D reduces the GPU performance to almost half. Do I necessarily have to take Dual GTX 690 to have enough horsepower to run the system? And for monitor I like the Samsung S27A950D monitor, but ain't supported by Nvidia so I'm left somehow with Asus VG278H which is expensive than the Samsung. Is these a good choice? Any Cheaper alternative? I wanna spend my money right on these. I would appreciate some recommendations.
a c 145 Î Nvidia
May 28, 2012 2:26:45 PM

I would start with 1 GTX690 and then add another if not happy!
a c 80 Î Nvidia
May 28, 2012 2:50:16 PM

For 3D surround, I might suggest going with smaller monitors. 27"s may take more space than you want. As far as the power goes, you will get smooth game place with a 690, but with the more demanding games, you'll have to turn things down quite a bit.

A couple examples: A single 3D Vision display needs 690 power to use high settings in Metro 2033 and reach 50+ FPS (DX11, high (not very high), tessellation, no DoF or physX. The Witcher 2 is similar, you can play ultra, without ubersampling and no DoF effects (don't want it anyway).

With 3 monitors in 3D Vision, I imagine you need at least twice the power driving it.
Related resources
May 29, 2012 3:39:38 PM

bystander said:
For 3D surround, I might suggest going with smaller monitors. 27"s may take more space than you want. As far as the power goes, you will get smooth game place with a 690, but with the more demanding games, you'll have to turn things down quite a bit.

A couple examples: A single 3D Vision display needs 690 power to use high settings in Metro 2033 and reach 50+ FPS (DX11, high (not very high), tessellation, no DoF or physX. The Witcher 2 is similar, you can play ultra, without ubersampling and no DoF effects (don't want it anyway).

With 3 monitors in 3D Vision, I imagine you need at least twice the power driving it.


Thanks for the insight and I somehow agree that 27" would occupy wider space, thus I have to change my table cause my 3 24" monitors were already standing near the edges. I guess 24" would suffice. And Yes, I might be needing two 690's since 690's performance on 5760x1080 resol'n is roughly on average of 65FPS and with SLI scaling (90% increase) two of these would get me to 123FPS. But because it's gonna be a 3D, performance would be cut to half giving me roughly 60FPS gaming. For the monitor, Im leaning towards 3D vision 2 ready with lightboost thus my choice of monitor is not that much... Any 24" recommendations? Thanks again! :) 
June 2, 2012 10:26:27 PM

Hi!
I have 2 gtx690 and they don't scale well, for now :( 

I didn't test a lot of games, with crysis2 the cards run at 60% about, with a 3930 cpu.

I'm very disappointed, and have 2690 in the rig and 2 680 on the sofa, I was going to sell them.


So until new driver are out you won't be able to do your setup.

Check maybe gtx590 in sli scale better.

Anyway the cards are less noisier than the 680 and very well built.


about the monitor I have 3 ve278q, wich are very very nice screens, I was thinking to an upgrade to the model you said but trying the sli cards today, I went online found a review about 690sli done from a corean guy. Firstly I was thinking it was a issue on my setup somewhere, but no it isn't.

Check also gtx670 triple sli, in some game the 3rd card improves frames by 30-40% but in others frames are just the same.


After having spent 2300$ (in europe) for cards and 850$ for a new mobo I don't suggest you to go for this kind of setup unless there is some news.

I have seen a guy wich nickname is vegas, he has 4 680, and these scale well.

You find the vids on youtube.

Another guy said that by him, the 4way sli with gtx680 reach 105°c temperature, and he must go with watercooling.

So if you wanna go with multiple screens and you absolutely want a gk104... I would get the 4gb one.

And if you already got a 590 I would wait for gk110 or eventually get another 590.

Or whait for an update


good luck


June 2, 2012 10:31:19 PM

Sorry I forgot to reply your question:

"will single 690 be enough for 3d surround"


hmmm depends on games.

I used to play crysis2 on a p8p67 mobo, means on x8 x8 pcie 2 lanes, and got 60-70 fps with overclock of 130 (the maximum stable i found). I was using the lowest settings but with dx11 ad high res texture.


The card become very noisy also if there it was a slot space between them.

I would count on getting 10%less fps with gtx690 oc.

and generally 20%more fps if you are on pcie 16x slots or 8x on pcie3
August 10, 2012 8:29:43 PM

any new info on this topic from someone who has 690 or 2 of them?
thank you
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 10, 2012 8:56:19 PM

There was another poster who had 670's in quad-SLI running this setup. I forget his name, but he was getting impressive results.
August 10, 2012 9:35:38 PM

also another issue is that on nvidia page regarding 3d surround vision there is no mentioning of gtx 690

so we dont know whether gtx 690 is capable of 3d surround vision on its own. also according to what i red, nvidia solution can use only dual link display port, undlike ati and their cheaper possibility of single link
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 10, 2012 10:20:58 PM

revro said:
also another issue is that on nvidia page regarding 3d surround vision there is no mentioning of gtx 690

so we dont know whether gtx 690 is capable of 3d surround vision on its own. also according to what i red, nvidia solution can use only dual link display port, undlike ati and their cheaper possibility of single link


I've seem people with 690's using 3d vision, it's just fairly new and their page was not updated. All of the nvidia cards support 3D vision as far as I know. Nvidia's solution uses HDMI 1.3a (primarily for movies) or DL-DVI (not displayport). AMD uses HDMI 1.4a (primarily for movies) or displayport with one exception that I'm aware of from Samsung that uses DL-DVI (like Nvidia, but not compatible).
August 11, 2012 9:03:11 AM

so in case of nvidia i can just use 3 dvi cables and none active dual link display port as those cost 100usd+
also in nvidia solution i must have 3 identical monitors, cause i believe in eyefinity monitors can be of different types and manufacturers

thank you
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 11, 2012 3:37:16 PM

I just realize you said 3D surround, not 3D vision in regards to the 690. That's probably is true, because 3D surround will require you to have all 3 connected to DL-DVI connections, which a single 690 won't have.
August 11, 2012 5:32:49 PM

hello

if you select gtx 690 multi gpu on
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/3dvision-sur...
you will find out. and gtx 690 has 3 dvi + display port, tough it seems

3D Surround requires using 2 DL DVI connectors and
1 DisplayPort connector.

hmm again 1 display port is needed ...
is it just cable or active dual link adapter, its so confusing ...

thank you
revro
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 11, 2012 5:47:20 PM

That is interesting, as 3D vision requires DL-DVI (or HDMI in some cases), and the configuration requires a displayport to dl-DVI connection. It does mention it'll allow for 3 DL-DVI connections with future drivers. I wonder why they don't allow it now.
August 11, 2012 6:37:52 PM

wait a second what is difference between 2d surround and 3d surround?
i undestand that 2d surround is desktop work or movie player, while 3d surround is gaming and 3d surround != 3d vision surround

so for 3d surround i dont need display port-> dual link dvi?

this is all so confusing ...
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 11, 2012 6:49:12 PM

revro said:
wait a second what is difference between 2d surround and 3d surround?
i undestand that 2d surround is desktop work or movie player, while 3d surround is gaming and 3d surround != 3d vision surround

so for 3d surround i dont need display port-> dual link dvi?

this is all so confusing ...


3D surround is short hand for 3D Vision surround, or someone just missing a word. 2D surround is just 3 monitors like Eyefinity.
August 11, 2012 7:17:09 PM

after another reading i understand it as following

2d surround
- is for desktop and gaming
- 60hz LCDs with 3 DVI-D Dual Link cables

3d surround = 3d vision surround
- is for desktop and gaming
- 120 hz lcds must be connected with displayport to DVI-D Dual Link

1. can i get 2d surround with120Hz on 120Hz LCDs with 3 DVI-D Dual Link cables?
2. could DVI-D Single Link cables work to get 2d surround with120Hz on 120Hz LCDs?
August 15, 2012 3:43:37 PM

bump up
hmm gk110 seems to be very nice, good that i am waiting with my purchase till next year. there will be a lot of development till then 7990, haswell, gk110

revro

April 7, 2013 5:32:18 PM

I have to say, some of you are a bit overkill. A pair of 660s in sli, not 660 tis, 660s, will be able to run most games on high settings on a triple monitor setup. 690 sli!!?!?? You'll be able to run anything for the next 3 years maxed out settings for sure, though I would wait for Nvidia Maxwell as that's supposed to be a HUGE improvement
April 7, 2013 10:26:14 PM

User4154 said:
I have to say, some of you are a bit overkill. A pair of 660s in sli, not 660 tis, 660s, will be able to run most games on high settings on a triple monitor setup. 690 sli!!?!?? You'll be able to run anything for the next 3 years maxed out settings for sure, though I would wait for Nvidia Maxwell as that's supposed to be a HUGE improvement

Well it depends how you wanna run things.
I play crysis 2 online with the 2 680 (sold the 2 690), and a third card wouldn't be bad. To have a smooth game at the lowest settings with dx11, I need to oc the cards.
To play at max settings needs 2 titans.

Of course you can play singleplayer with 30 fps but for the multiplayer the game isn't fast enough under 50-60. I like it when it goes around 80-100. Even if the displays show less (60hz), the game is way smoother.

There is also the fps time that counts. It means that the 2 cards send the image in time, instead of with a small delay. In sli it happens that with lower fps (less than 50, the second card delivers the frame with a slight delay. I think it's called stuttering.

Anyway I highly suggest you to try crysis2 online ;) 

April 22, 2013 2:25:20 PM

Cyne17 said:
I'm planning to set-up a Nvidia 3D vision surround system and I need opinion if I'm going on the right track. Currently I have Nvidia Surround Setup on a single GTX 590 with 5760x1080 resolution (5960x1080 bezel corrected) and the card performs just fairly enough to run all the games smooth. Yet, I want to try 3D surround this time. I'm going to have GTX 690 as replacement of my 590. I don't think a single 690 is enough since 3D reduces the GPU performance to almost half. Do I necessarily have to take Dual GTX 690 to have enough horsepower to run the system? And for monitor I like the Samsung S27A950D monitor, but ain't supported by Nvidia so I'm left somehow with Asus VG278H which is expensive than the Samsung. Is these a good choice? Any Cheaper alternative? I wanna spend my money right on these. I would appreciate some recommendations.

The Graphics are powerful enough, you just need more VRAM , 2gb is only enough to handle 1 monitor. I don't know what you should do, but i would consider amd cards or aftermarket 670s/680s. Alternatively, you can crank down the resolution, and the textures.
!