profession advice needed

I started the character with skinning/leatherworking for making money
fast(er). Now I start to realize that leatherworking is not that good.

Last time in wailing caverns I had to tank some bosses as bear. A nice
alchemist gave me two potions: increased strenght and healing over time
(1hour). It was a piece of cake then.

Now I am thinking of switching to herbalism/alchemy. Also, tauren do have
this class specific herbalism enhancement...

hmm, stay or switch? opinion?

TIA Walt

--
Komdorron - Tauren Druid on Sunstrider

Playing a Hunter on a RP server, (i.e. no worries about being ganked),
I got to level 40 without enough gold to buy a mount. I continued my
hunting in Stranglethorn Vale. The gorillas there drop good leather,
green items, and an occasional chest, and I got the gold I needed
within a level. I was getting XP for every kill that produced leather
that I crafted and sold to the vendor in Booty Bay. (This was slightly
tedious but went remarkably quick.) And there's a pattern on sale in
Booty Bay that sells VERY well at the Auction House in Ironforge. I'd
say skinning (and selling the raw materials) and leatherworking (and
vendoring or auctioning the crafted goods) makes decent money.

I thought enchanting would be a money sink, but folks MUST have those
weapon enchants for their cool glow and I'm sure there's money to be
made there.

I thought herbalism and alchemy would be just something I produced for
myself, for my Tauren Shaman, but some herbs are highly sought after,
and the potions, some in particular with the advent of BG, "Run,
Forrest, run!", are selling like proverbial hotcakes, and at prices
that make me blush. (I haven't tested the invisibility potion yet, but
it might prove useful. And the Elixir of Giant Growth is quite fun.)
And what priest can do without Mana Potions, or Rogues and Hunters
without Agility Potions? Everyone enjoys those buffs if they can get
them.

I think more money might be made by mere gathering though. (When I
need to make a potion, and don't want to make a run to the Barrens,
I'll buy in the AH if I can.) If it's the money you're after go
herbalism and mining. (Alchemists, Engineers, Blacksmiths, and Tailors
will appreciate it.) If you think gathering is the ticket, keep
skinning (which produces materials sought after by Engineers,
Blacksmiths, and Tailors), you've already developed it, and get either
herbalism or mining. Your guildmates, and alts with other professions,
will appreciate it as well.

Tauren have a racial herbalism bonus of +10 I think.

Hi,

This is a bit of thread hijac here (sorry) but it is on the same limes.

I have a lvl40 Dwarf Hunter, who has mining 225 and Gnomish engineering
229.

I must say I am dissapointed with Engineering!

When I first took it up I did so thinking that I could sell my
engineering gadgets to other players. Unfortunately apart from guns &
EZ-Throw dynamite. Everything can only be used by other engineers. So
no point putting on AH. :(

At low levels I did use the Ammo & Guns I made, however at lvl40 I cant
make anything better than whats in the AH already.

The only things I use now are a few of the trinkets that can be made,
such as the Gnomish Shrink Ray & Net-O-Matic projecter.

These however are fairly unpredicatable, so tend to be used for fun
when dueling, rather than serious questing / instances.

Its also depressing to see how much 20x Mithril Bars sell for at the
AH.
When I am only using them to get Engineering up and sell to Vendors. :(

I was thinking of keeping mining & going either enchanting or skining.

Can anyone let me know if this is a viable option? I have been told
Enchanting is a bit of a money sink, but at least I can sell the
essences etc on the AH. Plus I will have a service people will want to
pay money for.

And skinning is a bit of a no brainer. You skin the stuff you sell it.

Or should I stick with engineering? Do the final 71 levels of
engineering rock, and a must have?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Walt wrote:
> I started the character with skinning/leatherworking for making money
> fast(er). Now I start to realize that leatherworking is not that good.
>
> Last time in wailing caverns I had to tank some bosses as bear. A nice
> alchemist gave me two potions: increased strenght and healing over time
> (1hour). It was a piece of cake then.
>
> Now I am thinking of switching to herbalism/alchemy. Also, tauren do have
> this class specific herbalism enhancement...
>
> hmm, stay or switch? opinion?
>
> TIA Walt
>
> --
> Komdorron - Tauren Druid on Sunstrider

I found leveling herbalism quite relaxing and fun. As a tauren you will
find it easier picking the highest skill herbs. Even at 300 skill i
still fail occasionally on those ones.

There are some incredibly useful potions, if you're willing to put in
the effort to gather the herbs. I found when i got to 300/300 the
incentive to make potions all but vanished. Gathering the mats just
started seeming like work. If you're a soloing player they're probably
alot more useful.

My Druid friend buys alot of potions, so maybe they're more useful to
druids? I can live with-out them as a rogue.

Of course i might change my tune once i get that size growth recipe :D
and the ability to make some flasks!

>Of course i might change my tune once i get that size growth recipe :D
>and the ability to make some flasks!

Is the size growth one rare? As i picked one up in the AH last night
for 50s :)

--
"Nintendo could have been making all the mistakes in the world before.
But because they were up against Sega, nobody noticed"

Alastair Foster wrote:

>>Of course i might change my tune once i get that size growth recipe :D
>>and the ability to make some flasks!
>

> Is the size growth one rare? As i picked one up in the AH last night
> for 50s :)

Not rare i don't think, just popular. I guess i'm cheap and wont spring
the 5-10g i've seen it for. :D