Sign in with
Your question

Two Questions after newly built pc is running!

Last response: in Systems
July 21, 2012 7:35:39 AM

First of all thanks for everyone looking. I had just built my first PC at around the $1000 mark. Inside I assembled a MSI gtx 560, i5 3450k, Asus z77 v-LK, 8gb 1600mhz g.skil ares, Kingston 120gb HyperX 3k SSD and a OCZ 700w PSU all inside my cooler master haf xm. The build came along almost too easy and I completed it two nights after a long day at work.

Anyway, I finally got all my drivers and windows updates and noticed I have a "PCI Simple Communications Controller" Code 28 with no drivers installed and I can't seem to locate any either. Question being I could just disable it in general considering I have no idea what its for and my pc seems to be running great without it.

My second question being, my Asus z77 v-lk motherboard came with old(er) bios version of 0210 as of 03/12/2012 and there is a new version 0404 as of 05/23/2012. I have NEVER updated my bios ever and really am not the most tech savy person, I was lucky to have build this thing without any flaws.

In a nutshell, can I get away with not having drivers for the PCI Simple Communications Controller and how the hell can I update my bios the easiest way possible without blowing anything up. I have the Asus update program but I wanted to ask on here to see what you guys suggest first. PC runs excellent super cool and quiet but figure if there's new bios/drivers to boost performance and efficiency why not?

Thanks,
Brett
a b B Homebuilt system
July 21, 2012 8:00:49 AM

Do you have Asus Suite II installed? It should help you update the bios. Its worth reading what the updates are for though - only update if they are things you need.

If you are going to play with stuff under the hood, now is the time to do it, while the computer is fresh and clean and reinstalling windows wouldnt be a big deal. Later after all your personal files and settings are in place ... its a lot more of a headache.

I would disable the PCI controller and then find out if it has any effect. If not, problem solved.
m
l
July 21, 2012 8:02:32 AM

I do have the Asus Suite II installed and when I tried the update for bios going from 0210 to 0404 it says "Warning! The date of bios is later than the current" but it clearly is newer according to the number and date? Doesn't even give me an option to update either.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 21, 2012 3:49:19 PM

Dakir said:
I do have the Asus Suite II installed and when I tried the update for bios going from 0210 to 0404 it says "Warning! The date of bios is later than the current" but it clearly is newer according to the number and date? Doesn't even give me an option to update either.

Look up your motherboard on the Asus website - it should give a list of BIOS updates and what they are for. I know ive done this before, however I don't remember thinking it was worth all the effort afterward. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/
m
l
July 22, 2012 5:30:06 AM

deadlockedworld said:
Look up your motherboard on the Asus website - it should give a list of BIOS updates and what they are for. I know ive done this before, however I don't remember thinking it was worth all the effort afterward. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/

Says for my z66 LK it has a 0404 Bios update. Downloading now but it says: "After downloading the BIOS file from the ASUS website, rename it as shown in the table below when using the following BIOS tools:
• USB BIOS Flashback
• ASUS Crashfree BIOS3"

Model name: P8Z77-V LK BIOS name (.CAP extension): P8Z77VLK.CAP

So how exactly do I update the bios now? It says after downloading the bios file but this is what it directed me to download for the update on the asus website? So confused....
m
l
!