Are my 6950 CF temps normal?

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hey guys,

I got 2 Sapphire Toxic 6950's, both unlocked to 6970, in Crossfire. I idle at about 40-43C. I thought I was maxing no more than 60C in games but I was wrong.

I just loaded Witcher 2 up. Both gpu's are showing a ~90+% load. My first card got to about 75C and stayed there. My second card maxed at 70C.

Those seem pretty normal temps right? Now what I'm confused at is a separate column of numbers on my GPU-Z log. There is GPU temp, then there is GPU Temp #1,2, and 3.

On my first card, GPU Temp 1 is the same as the GPU Temp numbers I listed before, 75C. But GPU Temp 2 maxed at 82.5C and stayed at that temp, and GPU Temp 3 hit and stayed at 86.5-87C!

On my second card, GPU Temp 1 stayed at around 70-71C, GPU Temp 2 stayed at around 76.5-77C, and GPU Temp 3 stayed at around 72-73C.

First off, what are these 3 GPU temperatures and is the overall GPU temperature the average of these 3? Is it dangerous that my first card is hitting such high temps (with GPU Temps 2 and 3)? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Edit: Both cards are running at 50% fan speed. Anything more and they get too noisy.

How many monitors do you use? The card with the monitor(s) will typically get higher temps. The temps are a little high but nothing too crazy. The different temperatures are just different sensors on the card the program can get a reading from. Whats the airflow in your case like?

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

I'm using only one 1080p monitor. Here's a video of my build:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7qAql2BYvw&feature=plcp

Skip to the 1:00 mark, since everything before that was about a minor problem with my Hyper 212 being able to swivel.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Never, any crashes or freezes, I just want to be careful with my temps so I'm monitoring them. I don't know why they're running so hot, my case has sufficient airflow and 50% fans are still pretty powerful.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
If this makes a difference, my i5-2500k is overclocked to 4.5Ghz so that probably increased the ambient temp a bit. I idle 40-50C with my CPU and it maxes at about 70-75C in Prime 95.

So those two fans in the video, the rear and the top, are exhaust right? Where are the intake fans and how many do you have? Also if your case has a side fan is that setup as intake or exhaust?

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

xapbf4.jpg

2 120 mm intake fans blowing air into harddrive bays.

1 rear 120mm fan blowing air out the back of the case. (air coming from the cpu cooler)

1 200mm fan blowing air up top out of the case.

And the other 200mm side fan wasn't included and wouldn't fit anyway with my Hyper 212 in there.

So nothing is directly blowing on the gpu's. I was originally looking for a case with the best airflow, but my friend said don't go crazy about it as long as the case has at least 1 intake fan. This case is large enough to have good airflow he said, so I just listened to his advice.

EDIT: I meant to say the air coming from the cpu cooler goes out the rear exhaust fan.

Yeah that should be fine. Your temps aren't that crazy. Just don't let them get over 90C. Make a user controlled fan profile to make the fan speed go higher starting at 55C and the speed should increase as you move up. It might be loud but it should definitely be cooler.