Sign in with
Your question

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot devic

Last response: in Systems
July 21, 2012 9:34:40 AM

i just ran DBAN boot and nuke on my gateway desktop computer and now i am trying install any and every windows xp download i can find but all i get is the message
PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting intel boot agent

reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

what do i do and how do i install xp back onto my computer
July 21, 2012 1:05:40 PM

I'd avoid publicizing I download Copies of Pirated XP to install on my Gateway rig... :) 
m
l
July 21, 2012 1:31:38 PM

(1) What model gateway?
(2) you can buy an orignial install disk from gateway (with the original OS, drivers, etc.) for $10-20
(3) you can get a free (timelimited) copy of win8 from microsoft. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download/
(4) IF you have a sata disk drive you'll need at least service pack 2 on XP
(5) re "install any and every windows xp download i can find" just Don't. It's not ethical. It leaves you vulnerable to trogans, etc. Your PC might be in the next big botnet. And if you have other PCs at home that are on the same router anything bad you download can attack the other PCs in your house because you brought the bad stuff behind the router's firewall into your house's trusted network.
m
l
Related resources
July 21, 2012 10:14:38 PM

tsnor said:
(1) What model gateway?
(2) you can buy an orignial install disk from gateway (with the original OS, drivers, etc.) for $10-20
(3) you can get a free (timelimited) copy of win8 from microsoft. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download/
(4) IF you have a sata disk drive you'll need at least service pack 2 on XP
(5) re "install any and every windows xp download i can find" just Don't. It's not ethical. It leaves you vulnerable to trogans, etc. Your PC might be in the next big botnet. And if you have other PCs at home that are on the same router anything bad you download can attack the other PCs in your house because you brought the bad stuff behind the router's firewall into your house's trusted network.

(1) model nuber 510 X
(2) where do i find the install disk please add link
(3) will windows 8 boot my computer
(4) what is "sata" disk drive and i downloaded windows xp w/ sp2 didnt work
(5) understand wont do it anymore
m
l
July 22, 2012 1:55:50 PM

quillboy1 said:
(1) model nuber 510 X
(2) where do i find the install disk please add link
(3) will windows 8 boot my computer
(4) what is "sata" disk drive and i downloaded windows xp w/ sp2 didnt work
(5) understand wont do it anymore

Cool. System is Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, mem is 512.0 MB / 4.0 GB (max), disk is 160.0 GB SATA-150 - 7200.0 rpm, AGP 8x graphics slot with ATI 9600, came with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

Install disk may still be in the box PC originally came in, or you call Gateway support. Explain the disk got formatted and if they still have any disks they will give you the price and let you order it. I don't know if there is a direct link to order, but check the SUPPORT page at gateway for your 510 X, it would be linked from there.

No, you can't run win8 or win7 unless you've upgraded. Min specs for win8 are "1GHz processor, 1GB of RAM (or 2GB for 64-bit), 16GB of storage (or 20GB for 64-bit), and a DirectX 9 graphics card with WDDM 1.0 support." You'd need a bit more memory and a new graphics card. IF for some reason you upgrade, be aware you have an AGP video card slot. All modern cards are PCIe and will *not* fit in an AGP slot. Older AGP card will cost you $50 to $100 because they are becoming rare. I would not upgrade this system. Just getting it running again by loading the original install disk makes more sense.

SATA is a newer type of hard drive interface. You do have a SATA hard drive (Serial ATA). That's good. Older type was called IDE or ATA or Parallel ATA or PATA, many names for the same thing.
m
l
July 22, 2012 2:01:29 PM

Another thought, the message you are getting is what you'd get if the BIOS could not find any bootable device in its boot order list.

When you downloaded XP did you burn a CD? Or is the downloaded OS on a USB drive?

IF you have burned a CD then go into the BIOS and verify that the CDROM drive is somewhere in the boot sequence. To get to the BIOS there is typically a key you hold down, check your manual for what key.

IF you have the downloaded XP on a USB drive that probably will not work. Very few of the PCs of that era booted off of USBs.
m
l
!