Can i attach a fan to my 4350's heatsink?

Thornyjohny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I have an ASUS Radeon 4350 Silent, which (as you may have have guessed) does not have a fan, just a heatsink. Because of this, my temps are around 60C at idle, and around 70-75 at full load. I've overclocked it by a 100MHz or so, but it's getting as hot as 83C, so I was thinking if I could attach a fan to it somehow?

Right now, I've installed a fan right above it, blowing air in, on the logic that the air will get heated up and rise where my PSU will blow it out. Can I get better temps if I set this fan the other way around?

Solution
I think the FAN at the side cover should cool the GPU heatsink. After all, it is designed to be fanless in the first place & the reason why it is hot is because there is not enough airflow in your case.

Therefore, you need to improve your case airflow by installing a rear FAN & the FRONT fan in the available FAN slots. This should lower the overall system temperature (cpu & gpu). But dont forget to clean that cpu cooler, okay? :)
Cable ties are your friend here, just pass two through the mounting holes of a suitably sized fan and use them to hold it to the heatsink, so the fan blows onto the heatsink.
It's better to get a big, slow moving fan than a small, one and look for something with a speed control like the Antc Tricool series, so you can keep the noise down.

Grab any old socket 370/A heatsink and resuse the fan and screws from it. Zip tise are not all that great, attach the fan to the cooler and the screws will work wonders with the cooler. The fan then will be very stable and the screws will help with the heat a little while the fan you can just plug it into any 3 pin fan header on the board for power. No need for long cables, the temps will drop down to much better levels. I often do this on most of my lower end cards so I won't have to go through the extra costs of buying new coolers.

The only tool that you will need is only a screwdriver. ;)

EDIT: Posted Image, you do not need to remove the cooler or worry about needing to replace any thermal compound. Two screws is enough, you can work with the card on any table or desk but don't be rough with it. Working with it in your lap is fine but don't drag it.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/180/pict0037y.jpg

Thornyjohny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Thank you both for replying, I didn't really think this was possible!

First, how can I use cable ties to attach a fan to the card? There are 4 holes at each corner of the card, can I loop the cable tie through these?

Second, I don't think I will be able to find a Socket 370/A cooler. How about I get this:http://www.flipkart.com/cooler-mast...MHGH&ref=e9278b10-b81a-44ae-82dd-f2eaea1dd577 instead?
And should i screw that on to the heatsink or the backside of the card, where there are screw holes around the core?

PS:Can I buy something like this: http://www.flipkart.com/cooler-master-hyper-101/p/itmd7g58xu7tkkjb?pid=COLD7G57FYJGVDRP&ref=74775d65-03d5-408d-92fc-9580c6c69fc6 and attach it to the back of the card, over the core?
And I can't buy from Newegg, because I live in India and they don't ship here.

randomkid

Distinguished

Since you installed the fan above it & blowing air in, what is the temperature?
After you note that temperature, turn the fan the other way around & take note of the resulting temperature.

And there, you will get your answer, my friend.

Thornyjohny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Here are two photos so that you can see what I'm talking about:
35963503670.jpg

dsc00044gkr.jpg

There was a huge difference! I ran MSI Kombustor's GPU burn-in for 15 minutes with the fan set to intake, and the temps were fluctuating between 82 and 83C. After that, I turned the fan around (set it to exhaust) and my idle teperature has dropped by 10C! Same as before, after running Kombustor for 15 minutes , it had only reached 77C! Thank you very much, randomkid! :love:

This is using a very weak fan and I don't want to attach this to the card, so before I first I need a better fan. What do you guys suggest?

randomkid

Distinguished
Welcome.

I think that temperature is good enough. You might be able to help get things a little cooler in other ways. Can you show the picture of your PC with open case? preferably showing where your PSU & cases fans are.

randomkid

Distinguished
Okay. The picture explains why your video card is heating up. You do not have FANs in the case.

It is better if you can add a FAN at the front ( you can see the FAN slot at the lower right side of the first picture). Put it such that it sucks in from the outside.

Then add another FAN at the back ( the fan slot at the upper left hand side of the picture & right under the PSU ). Put is such that is push air to the outside.

That should improve your overall system temperature.

Not to be rude but why you didn't understand about just using the fan from off a old cpu cooler? Just remove any old fan from a cpu cooler and mount it onto the cooler on the card with screws or zip tise. No it won't have any negative effects with the 80mm case fan near the card. By the way you need to clean the cooler for your cpu as it is clogged up. You can try looking around for pentium 4 coolers or anything with similar sized fans. The reason why I suggest them is due to the fact they don't take up much space and do a very good job without making much noise. Beyond that if you add the fan to the card it will run cooler and last much longer.

Two cheap fans for the case will help with getting rid of some of the heat.

randomkid

Distinguished

+1. the CPU cooler looks stuffed with what looked like solidified dust. That needs serious cleaning too. You can check for youtube videos that shows the procedure on how to clean Intel heat sink.

Thornyjohny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

Wait, you can screw a fan onto a heatsink?

I know, I haven't touched it in three years. :D

randomkid

Distinguished
I think the FAN at the side cover should cool the GPU heatsink. After all, it is designed to be fanless in the first place & the reason why it is hot is because there is not enough airflow in your case.

Therefore, you need to improve your case airflow by installing a rear FAN & the FRONT fan in the available FAN slots. This should lower the overall system temperature (cpu & gpu). But dont forget to clean that cpu cooler, okay? :)

Solution