Weird BSOD code 124 after CPU upgrade

candyroxi

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Hello everyone

TL;DR version: I change my cpu laptop with an ES one, without knowing it will be supported or not. Speedstep, Turbo Boost buggy. BSOD code 124 in gaming and windows and such. Bios somewhat considered updated.

Recently I swapped my laptop's i3-2330m with an ES version of i7 2620m (Q16M variant, 2.7 to 3.4 with TB). It has D0 stepping instead of D2 in retail, thats the only difference I can see.
BIOS and Windows recognized it as "Genuine Intel CPU 0", while cpu z Name line and core temp recognized it as "Intel Core i7 2620m (ES)". cpuz specification line is genuine thingy, though.
After changing, my laptop boot just fine. But it feel somewhat laggy. I found out in cpu-z that cpu only running at 800mhz whatever task push it to, in example, The Sims 3 sluggish to fast forward while the cpu seems not trying to break a sweat, whlie my i3 perform just fine. After some restart it running at 3ghz with all cores and TB :eek:.
Then I play some games with PhysX and here the problem: dreaded BSOD code 124 after 5-10 min of gameplay. I think it might be some driver problem so I re-install Windows 7 and fully install drivers and update etc. BSOD still occur. I use ThrottleStop to force processor running at max multiplier, it seems to be holding game a bit longer but after like 15 mins, it BSOD again. Worse, this time windows cannot boot up anymore. After the "Starting windows" screen, BSOD code 124 happen over and over again. I have to swap out with old i3 for next day's school :(
Temp are in safe range: Between 35*C and 81*C under load of Prime95. Gaming only push it to 60 and such.
Worth noting is I updated my BIOS to the latest version, and on other variant of my laptop series they mounted an i5-2410m which is quite identical with i7 in features. I cannot find my laptop's bios upgrade (its a region specific model so no drivers and support available) so I flashed with other one (quite hard to explain, like, I have a Toshiba L735-PSK0AL but the specific model cannot be found so I flashed it with L735-S3210). No bricks. Everything seems to be running fine till now.

I have already returned it to the seller in Hong Kong, and he said it could be compatibility issues. He offers me a refund or exchange. I think I will take my money back. But I still want an upgrade so I intend to buy an used OEM one.

Please give me advise: Which could be the culprit of the problem? My BIOS compatibility, or the CPU is bad? Should I bite the bullet and try upgrade it again?

My specification: Toshiba L735 motherboard with HM65 chipset, HD 3000 integrated graphics. Other stuffs is 2x4G Corsair memory, a Force GT 120 and an Intel 330 120.

Kindly thanks for your reply.

candyroxi

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Thanks for your help.
Yes, I did flash my bios to the newest version possible. The cpu is defective is what I am hoping right now, since I'm aiming for a oem one. I strongly think that my motherboard is able to run it, since it can boot up and do some tasks.

candyroxi

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Thats a great suggestion!
Unfortunately my BIOS looks very limited. The processor must be running by default since there's no settings to tweak it. And the cpu is not available in any model of the same family, so there's no way to be sure that it is officially supported :(
And yes, temps are very reasonable, actually its about over half way below the Tjunction.
Voltage is, well, since both cpu has the same TDP so I dont think that motherboard cannot supply enough power.
Is there any chance that the cpu is defective?