HD 6770 Problem or not?!

evanxcs

Distinguished
May 12, 2012
Hey guys,

Just built a new computer, and it was going pretty well for a few days. But now it's freezing and showing a crazy static screen a few minutes after booting

Here's most of the parts in there: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20336386&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1f6ecivqfk8u4

Here's a screen shot of what the screen looks like:

IMG_0137.jpg

Think this is a bad graphics card? Or could it be something else?

I ran memtest and HDD diagnostics with no problems showing up. Have the latest drivers, and am starting to think I should try an older driver version for the gpu.

Thanks!

evanxcs

Distinguished
May 12, 2012
Thanks for the quick response! Seems like this rig is getting more and more unstable, so I can't even do much before the problem starts lately. I have used HWmonitor to check temperature (no gpu fanspeed on there though), and the first time this happened it was while playing d3 and the temp was probably in the 60s C. Now it happens when idle or browsing the internet at very low temps and cpu speed.

Not sure on the gpu fan speed but I'll try and see how far I get.

evanxcs

Distinguished
May 12, 2012
Ok so I'm idling at 30 C and 15% gpu fanspeed. I'll repost with any results closer to a crash.

I may try reformatting and reinstalling windows on my SSD drive. It's a new computer so don't have much on there anyways and that's what SSD drives are for!

Unless of course, any of you experts have any other ideas!

evanxcs

Distinguished
May 12, 2012
Yep, so I was just chilling there not even doing anything, with Chrome open and hwmonitor and ccc-overdrive open, and after about 5 minutes I got the static, but this time it went to a BSOD, but it was too quick for me to take a picture and post it here.

GPU temp was 31 C and speed was 15%, everything else was in the 30s and cpu speed was like 3 or 4k. Weird!