Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Let us switch sides.....

Tags:
  • Games
  • Switch
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 15, 2005 10:51:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

I think it would be cool if we could do quests to let us betray our
side and join the opposite side. Yes I know EQII has this but I think
it would be a great addition to WoW. It would be cool to all of a
sudden be able to chat with Alliance as a Tauren and group with them
etc etc (also make it so you lose the ability to chat with Horde). It
would really add a new twist to the game.

Please discuss.

More about : switch sides

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 15, 2005 11:04:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

> Downside: If they'd implement it, it will mean you can't do it if you
> have more than one char on a PvP server, because you can only have
> characters of one faction.

Yeah, I didnt think of that :( 
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 15, 2005 11:10:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

> Bleh! I'm gonna curse the day when i have to group or even chat with a
> Paladin.

> Cheers :) 

I agree that it wouldnt be for everyone, and I really dont like the
alliance either but if it was possible it would be kinda fun.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 15, 2005 11:33:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

> P.S Of course Alliance would also have the honorable
> lost-his-parents-and-was-raise­d-by-farmer-bob Orc *shudder*

Yikes o.O
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 15, 2005 12:56:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

>> P.S Of course Alliance would also have the honorable
>> lost-his-parents-and-was-raise­­d-by-farmer-bob Orc *shudder*

>Yikes o.O

If EQ2 anything to go by it's be horde to alliance that see the
majority of defectors. Generally people like the toons but hate the
environments, so they defect. It could unbalance some servers even
more.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 15, 2005 1:40:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

BombayMix wrote:
> >> P.S Of course Alliance would also have the honorable
> >> lost-his-parents-and-was-raise­­d-by-farmer-bob Orc *shudder*
>
> >Yikes o.O
>
> If EQ2 anything to go by it's be horde to alliance that see the
> majority of defectors. Generally people like the toons but hate the
> environments, so they defect. It could unbalance some servers even
> more.

What I'd like is to become faction-agnostic. I want to learn to speak
Common. I want to group with humans in the Deadmines. Shamans are my
favorite class in the game, and I happen to like my Troll, too, but
it's obvious to me that Blizzard spent all their time and energy
developing Alliance quests and territories.

Plus, being on a PvE server as I am, I really don't *care* to fight the
Alliance. Or the Horde. I just want to do quests. To get stuff. And
kill monsters. With other people.

I'm proud that I have no PvP rank. My only PvP kill came from a stupid
mistake; I healed someone who had been flagged, got flagged too, and
suddenly had to defend myself. That aside, I never, ever antagonize
the Alliance.

I wave, turn into a ghost wolf and dance for them, help them fight if
they draw too many monsters or are close to death. I'd heal and rez
them, if I could. I think the Battlegrounds are a good idea on PvE
servers, because now those people can keep PvP where it belongs: away
from me!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 15, 2005 7:55:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote:

> I think it would be cool if we could do quests to let us betray our
> side and join the opposite side. Yes I know EQII has this but I think
> it would be a great addition to WoW. It would be cool to all of a
> sudden be able to chat with Alliance as a Tauren and group with them
> etc etc (also make it so you lose the ability to chat with Horde). It
> would really add a new twist to the game.

Agreed. I wouldn't want to switch, but it would be cool if it was
possible.
Downside: If they'd implement it, it will mean you can't do it if you
have more than one char on a PvP server, because you can only have
characters of one faction.

> Please discuss.

Can't, our opinions about this seem to match :o )

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (14) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jazrah - Brutal Troll (16) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jivarr - Charming Troll (12) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
June 15, 2005 8:07:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

nvrsbr wrote:
> I think it would be cool if we could do quests to let us betray our
> side and join the opposite side. Yes I know EQII has this but I think
> it would be a great addition to WoW. It would be cool to all of a
> sudden be able to chat with Alliance as a Tauren and group with them
> etc etc (also make it so you lose the ability to chat with Horde). It
> would really add a new twist to the game.

Bleh! I'm gonna curse the day when i have to group or even chat with a
Paladin.

Cheers :) 
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 15, 2005 9:52:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Christian Stauffer wrote:
> "nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> I think it would be cool if we could do quests to let us betray our
>> side and join the opposite side. Yes I know EQII has this but I think
>> it would be a great addition to WoW. It would be cool to all of a
>> sudden be able to chat with Alliance as a Tauren and group with them
>> etc etc (also make it so you lose the ability to chat with Horde). It
>> would really add a new twist to the game.
>
> Agreed. I wouldn't want to switch, but it would be cool if it was
> possible.
> Downside: If they'd implement it, it will mean you can't do it if you
> have more than one char on a PvP server, because you can only have
> characters of one faction.

While this mitigates a possible good, I don't actually see it as being
strong enough to be a downside. It's better to allow it for the rest of the
servers, even if the PvPers don't get to enjoy it, then to not allow it at
all.

Plus, it would finally give hoardies decent races.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 16, 2005 5:54:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

>Plus, it would finally give hoardies decent races.
>

Grrr...

--
"Nintendo could have been making all the mistakes in the world before.
But because they were up against Sega, nobody noticed"
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 16, 2005 12:40:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com> wrote:
> Christian Stauffer wrote:
>>
>> Agreed. I wouldn't want to switch, but it would be cool if it was
>> possible.
>> Downside: If they'd implement it, it will mean you can't do it if you
>> have more than one char on a PvP server, because you can only have
>> characters of one faction.
>
> While this mitigates a possible good, I don't actually see it as being
> strong enough to be a downside.

Sure it isn't, I used the wrong word. Just wanted to point out it means
people on PvP server wouldn't be able to switch before they deleted all
their alts.

> It's better to allow it for the rest of the
> servers, even if the PvPers don't get to enjoy it, then to not allow it at
> all.

Agreed.

> Plus, it would finally give hoardies decent races.

Humans? Is there a more boring race than humans? Gnomes? No, thanks.
Night elves? This purple perversion of nature? Dwarfs? Umm... dwarfs
are ok.

Nah, I'd still prefer an interesting character over a beautiful one.
Horde has the Clint Eastwoods, Alliance has the Naomi Campbells.
And it's good as it is. Having some players switch factions would
only spice it a bit up.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jazrah - Brutal Troll (16) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jivarr - Charming Troll (12) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 16, 2005 9:08:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Christian Stauffer wrote:
> "sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com> wrote:
>> Christian Stauffer wrote:

>> Plus, it would finally give hoardies decent races.
>
> Humans? Is there a more boring race than humans? Gnomes? No, thanks.

Undead are even more boring. I mean, they used to be humans, now they have
no lives.

> Night elves? This purple perversion of nature? Dwarfs? Umm... dwarfs
> are ok.
>
> Nah, I'd still prefer an interesting character over a beautiful one.

Why are we forced to choose?
http://www.lineage2.com/pds/concept_art.html#
http://www.lineage2.com/Knowledge/race_orc.html#

At least one company realized that the "bad guys" don't have to be hideous.
If the WoW horde either had dark elves (as opposed to night elves) or orcs
that looked like that, I'd be playing hoarde. They've got an interesting
concept for the race, but their artists and their refusal to accept and
correct a mistake are keeping them from really succeeding.

> Horde has the Clint Eastwoods, Alliance has the Naomi Campbells.

As ugly as hoard races are, I'm thinking more along the lines of Willam
Dafoe or Steve Buscemi.

> And it's good as it is. Having some players switch factions would
> only spice it a bit up.

When the only spices you have are salt and pepper, you can get a palatable
meal... but not an excellent one.
June 17, 2005 9:22:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

nvrsbr wrote:
> I think it would be cool if we could do quests to let us betray our
> side and join the opposite side. Yes I know EQII has this but I think
> it would be a great addition to WoW. It would be cool to all of a
> sudden be able to chat with Alliance as a Tauren and group with them
> etc etc (also make it so you lose the ability to chat with Horde). It
> would really add a new twist to the game.
>
> Please discuss.

Did I not suggest this as an april fools joke earlier this year and
everyone said it was a bad idea.

saucey
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 17, 2005 12:20:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com> wrote:

> Why are we forced to choose?
> http://www.lineage2.com/pds/concept_art.html#
> http://www.lineage2.com/Knowledge/race_orc.html#

Pffffft. You call this an Orc? That's a human with green skin. So much for
diversion.

> At least one company realized that the "bad guys" don't have to be hideous.
> If the WoW horde either had dark elves (as opposed to night elves) or orcs
> that looked like that, I'd be playing hoarde. They've got an interesting
> concept for the race, but their artists and their refusal to accept and
> correct a mistake are keeping them from really succeeding.

What mistake? That they're ugly? Geez, I'm happy that people who feel they
need to play a beautiful character stay away from me.

>> Horde has the Clint Eastwoods, Alliance has the Naomi Campbells.
>
> As ugly as hoard races are, I'm thinking more along the lines of Willam
> Dafoe or Steve Buscemi.

It looks like you understood me :o )
I'd prefer spending a day off with Steve Buscemi than with Naomi
Campbell. I don't like beautiful people, I like the interesting ones.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jazrah - Brutal Troll (16) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jivarr - Charming Troll (12) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 17, 2005 12:20:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Christian Stauffer wrote:
> "sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com> wrote:
>
>> Why are we forced to choose?
>> http://www.lineage2.com/pds/concept_art.html#
>> http://www.lineage2.com/Knowledge/race_orc.html#
>
> Pffffft. You call this an Orc? That's a human with green skin. So
> much for diversion.

I get enough diversity at my weekly Quaker meetings, thank you very much.
None the less, my point is that orcs can be interesting without being ugly.

>> At least one company realized that the "bad guys" don't have to be
>> hideous. If the WoW horde either had dark elves (as opposed to night
>> elves) or orcs that looked like that, I'd be playing hoarde. They've got
>> an interesting concept for the race, but their artists
>> and their refusal to accept and correct a mistake are keeping them
>> from really succeeding.
>
> What mistake? That they're ugly? Geez, I'm happy that people who feel
> they need to play a beautiful character stay away from me.

If that decision leads to a game imbalance, which is what this thread is
about, then I consider it a mistake.

>>> Horde has the Clint Eastwoods, Alliance has the Naomi Campbells.
>>
>> As ugly as hoard races are, I'm thinking more along the lines of
>> Willam Dafoe or Steve Buscemi.
>
> It looks like you understood me :o )
> I'd prefer spending a day off with Steve Buscemi than with Naomi
> Campbell. I don't like beautiful people, I like the interesting ones.

I always figured that the idea that attractive can't be interesting is the
last refuge of the ugly or the boring.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 17, 2005 6:40:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com> wrote:
> Christian Stauffer wrote:
>
>> What mistake? That they're ugly? Geez, I'm happy that people who feel
>> they need to play a beautiful character stay away from me.
>
> If that decision leads to a game imbalance, which is what this thread is
> about, then I consider it a mistake.

Maybe. However, whether this is one reason or not, is still subject to
discuss.

>>>> Horde has the Clint Eastwoods, Alliance has the Naomi Campbells.
>>>
>>> As ugly as hoard races are, I'm thinking more along the lines of
>>> Willam Dafoe or Steve Buscemi.
>>
>> It looks like you understood me :o )
>> I'd prefer spending a day off with Steve Buscemi than with Naomi
>> Campbell. I don't like beautiful people, I like the interesting ones.
>
> I always figured that the idea that attractive can't be interesting is the
> last refuge of the ugly or the boring.

Where, please, did I write that someone who's attractive can't be
interesting? I was pointing out that if the only thing I know of
someone is the how he looks, then it's not affecting me. If I
know someone is interesting, though, it's a big factor for me to
decide whether I want to spend time with him/her or not.

Or, WoW-like: Alliance races don't affect me. They may look beautiful,
but they don't look interesting. It's just... average. Horde races may
be ugly, although I find trolls very good looking and Tauren... well,
they're sort of petlike. But they look different and interesting.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jazrah - Brutal Troll (16) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jivarr - Charming Troll (12) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
!