water cooled power supplies

RobertR

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004
Hello,
I had been looking around the web and had found And forgot to bookmark a website that had Innovatek PSU that was water cooled. no fan.
So I thought to ask here if such is a good idea or not. and if there were other brands available that may be a better choice.
Also is there available a Y connector cable for 2 PSU, Chieftech I think sells such with one of their cases.

Does this work? No? Where is file 13?

dd_viper

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
they also have silent psu's if thats your intension, having no noise. but if not i personally havent seen many water cooled psu's.

"Freeze, your under arrest for the murder of Moe Sislack and Apu Nahasapasa...OK nevermind, just moe."

one leak, and that's A BIG EXPLOSION. Hell, my PC is water cooled, but I would never - ever buy a water cooled PSU.

Seems so dangerous

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Gotta agree there. Having a watercooled PSU would scare the hell outta me :eek: .... It's the one place in the Case where there's Enough juice to Kill you, so I'll stick with a fan, thanks.

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @418/742

did you know that the heat sinks on the PSU are eletrically charged?
...Well, they're on mine, and I got a nasty suprise when I was adding a new fan to the unit, and I wanted to see weather the heatsinks got hot :eek:

RobertR

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004
zapped from heatsink? they would be part of the ground circuit or common line. should not be live. except for the caps. may have been static discharge. or there was a short somewhere.

the water would be contained in the heatsink and checked for leaks before the psu left the factory.

well, what ever it was, my PSU was plaugged in while I was (stupidly) trying to work-out which pins from a 3 pin connecter on a fan need to be plugged into a 2 pin connector for the fan to work. I just brushed my hand against it, and BANG! my entire arm went fuzzy and hurt a little. I did it twice in about 30mins! :lol:

RichPLS

Champion
SHOCKING!

RobertR

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004
Does anyone know if there is a 20 pin atx power line y adapter?
to hook up 2 psu's to 1 MotherBoard, available.
or am I going to have to rig up one on my own?
like using 2 20pin power extentions and splice the ends together, would I run into problem of voltage doubling?

Easiest way to do it is just to run some stuff off of the one PSU, the rest off of the second. Rather than try and tie all the cables together and such. I assume this is for a desktop, and not a big server. Tie the on/off wires together, green wire generally, and both PSU should come on when you push the power button.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>