Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HELP : $600-750 Gaming PC Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 21, 2012 3:09:27 PM

Hi, I'm new to building PCs and I would like to build my first system, that is able to play most games at high levels. My friend said I could build a decent pc for around $500, so I figured I could go alittle high then that to get a good/great pc. I want a good amount of ram, I plan on doing video editing and playing games.

Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime in August

Budget Range: $600-750 // Before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video editing, browsing, college coding classes.

Are you buying a monitor: No





Do you need to buy OS: Yes, Windows 7 or 8.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Location: Bay Shore, NY.

Parts Preferences: Whatevers best.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 32" Inch tv, not sure of resolution

Additional Comments: I need a great cooling system.

Why Are You Upgrading: My laptop has good specs but constantly overheats causing games to slow down in frame rate, I need a PC who can handle games better and not have overheating problems and slow frame rate problems.

More about : 600 750 gaming build

July 21, 2012 3:24:22 PM

Please help, I really do not know what parts are good and what aren't, I just know how to build pcs. So the best possible PC for $600-750 will be great, thanks.
July 21, 2012 4:03:40 PM

Hi rarespark, if you do serious vid editing, you'll need to spend differently than if you are more of a gamer with casual vid editing interests.

For video editing, you'll be better off with a quad core 15 2xxx processor whereas for gaming a 2120 plus a stronger vid card will be the way to go IMO.

CPU: $125 Intel Core i3-2120

Board: $55 MSI H61M-P31 (G3)

RAM: $54 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB

HDD: $70 Western Digital 500GB

ODD: $18 LG SATA DVD Burner

GPU: $310 MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC

PSU: $70 CORSAIR TX650 V2

Case: $45 COOLER MASTER Elite 431 Plus

Total: $747 plus shipping (after rebates). A tad on the higher end of your budget :p  but this one will kick but unlike most in it's price range :D 
Related resources
July 21, 2012 4:30:03 PM

calguyhunk said:
Hi rarespark, if you do serious vid editing, you'll need to spend differently than if you are more of a gamer with casual vid editing interests.

For video editing, you'll be better off with a quad core 15 2xxx processor whereas for gaming a 2120 plus a stronger vid card will be the way to go IMO.

CPU: $125 Intel Core i3-2120

Board: $55 MSI H61M-P31 (G3)

RAM: $54 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB

HDD: $70 Western Digital 500GB

ODD: $18 LG SATA DVD Burner

GPU: $310 MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC

PSU: $70 CORSAIR TX650 V2

Case: $45 COOLER MASTER Elite 431 Plus

Total: $747 plus shipping (after rebates). A tad on the higher end of your budget :p  but this one will kick but unlike most in it's price range :D 

Its mostly casual video editing, and more for gaming, so if this changes the build then please post a new one, if not, thanks for your help :sol: 
July 21, 2012 4:50:59 PM

No, that is exactly what I had understood from your OP when you mentioned gaming ahead of video editing in order of preference. :) 

So to reiterate - this is the best gaming build in my opinion for the price both in terms of quality, brands and bang for buck. See if anyone else comes up with any interesting suggestions before closing the thread, but it's highly unlikely ;) 

The only thing I'll say is that if you can wait a few more days for the gfx card, the 660ti is about to drop next month with a (rumored) $299 price tag and apparently, better performance than the 7950 :) 

Other than that, you're good to go :D 
July 21, 2012 5:16:40 PM

OP did say <750 before rebates..

I have a 7870 and had no problems with it gaming on a single 32inch screen. If the OP needs the initial cost to be more to the one proposed, maybe knock down the 7950 to the 7870 which has versions going for 310 (pre) and 280 (post) rebate. Just a thought.

-SP
July 21, 2012 6:52:06 PM

rarespark said:
Its mostly casual video editing, and more for gaming, so if this changes the build then please post a new one, if not, thanks for your help :sol: 

That build is badly unbalanced. Go cheaper on the video card and better on CPU.

CPU- i5-2400 $190
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo- $85 with mail in rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM- 8GB- $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard drive 500GB- $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power- Seasonic 520 modular $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Video Card- Sapphire 7850- $240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case- Elite 430- $35 with rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical Drive- $18
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total-$748 and much better balance for what you're looking for. Do understand that the power supply is not adequate for a crossfire configuration of 2 7850s.
July 22, 2012 4:14:14 AM

nekulturny said:
That build is badly unbalanced. Go cheaper on the video card and better on CPU.


The Op pretty clearly mentioned after my specific query that he needs a "Gaming" build that will also be used for some "casual" video editing.

I've specifically mentioned that had it been the other way 'round, he'll need to go with an i5-2xxxx. Please do read before you post.

Quote:
Hi rarespark, if you do serious vid editing, you'll need to spend differently than if you are more of a gamer with casual vid editing interests.

For video editing, you'll be better off with a quad core i5 2xxx processor whereas for gaming a 2120 plus a stronger vid card will be the way to go IMO.
July 22, 2012 4:18:41 AM

calguyhunk said:
The Op pretty clearly mentioned after my specific query that he needs a "Gaming" build that will also be used for some "casual" video editing.

I've specifically mentioned that had it been the other way 'round, he'll need to go with an i5-2xxxx. Please do read before you post.

Quote:
Hi rarespark, if you do serious vid editing, you'll need to spend differently than if you are more of a gamer with casual vid editing interests.

For video editing, you'll be better off with a quad core i5 2xxx processor whereas for gaming a 2120 plus a stronger vid card will be the way to go IMO.


Theres no need to get all defensive on me, calm down lol. :sarcastic:  There are games out there that clearly prefer quad cores, and the 7950 will be bottlenecked by an i3. I generally agree with you that one should go heavier on the video card if choosing between a cheaper CPU and cheaper vid card, but I'm sorry, for games like Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Metro 2033, Crysis, and potentially other games as well, thats taking it to the extreme pairing an i3 with a 7950.
July 22, 2012 4:29:47 AM

Notice the difference between the i3-2100 and i5-2400. These benches are done with a 7970..


Clearly the i3-2100 is bottlenecking the 7970 they both run at 3.1GHZ stock and are the same architecture, so where is the bottleneck coming from? The 2 less cores.


Here again, its bottlenecking the 7970, albeit not as profound, it is there.



And again

July 22, 2012 4:46:53 AM

nekulturny said:
That build is badly unbalanced. Go cheaper on the video card and better on CPU.

CPU- i5-2400 $190
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo- $85 with mail in rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM- 8GB- $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard drive 500GB- $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power- Seasonic 520 modular $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Video Card- Sapphire 7850- $240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case- Elite 430- $35 with rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical Drive- $18
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total-$748 and much better balance for what you're looking for. Do understand that the power supply is not adequate for a crossfire configuration of 2 7850s.


Those are good specs and I wouldn't need to waste time listing new ones. Although I guess you should suggest the 3450 instead of a 2400, prices are quite close to each other. You didn't type the OS so I thought it was weird those parts suddenly coming at $750 :) 
July 22, 2012 11:23:16 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I might get the higher end graphics card. Also, I maybe be running a lot of programs at once, (Skyrim, Ventrilo, Google chrome, etc.) What is the suggested RAM for me? I've heard 4gb is usually enough, and 8gb is always more then enough. I just really want to make sure my pc never lags due to overheating during games anymore.
July 22, 2012 11:30:24 PM

You're welcome. 8GB is ideal for a modern system. Don't do what I did and waste money on 16GB lol. I'm a multitasking nut myself, and I've never managed to use over 6GB. As far as the CPU the i5-2400 is good enough to do what you're looking to do.

The 7850 video card will handle Skyrim easily, and any other game you can think of. If you want a step up, I would go for the 7870.
!