Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New cpu & mobo...do i need a new copy of windows?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2012 2:27:39 PM

Well im deciding wether or not to make a switch from my 8120fx cpu to
an intel i5 3570k. From everything that ive read the i5 consumes a considerable of less
power even when overclocked compared to my 8120fx. I couldnt believe it when one of the benchmark
site claimed the 8120fx when oc consumed a hefty 566 watts under full load.

So im saving up my pennys to get my hands on a 3570k and obviously a new motherboard.
But ive read somewhere that i would need a new copy of windows?? is this true.
I remember replacing my 970 motherboard to a 990 and i dint even need to reinstall windows.

More about : cpu mobo copy windows

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 2, 2012 2:30:02 PM

no u dont need a new copy of windows
December 2, 2012 2:33:45 PM

skitz9417 said:
no u dont need a new copy of windows

ahha thanks emo spongebob
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2012 2:34:20 PM

hahahhahahaha no worries
Score
December 2, 2012 2:35:23 PM

Best answer selected by geekdgreen.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2012 2:50:31 PM

emo spongebob :lol: 
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2012 3:38:27 PM

pre installed versions and OEM versions can be tied to the motherboard and will not get validated on a new motherboard. Full versions should not be a problem. I also think if you have upgraded a OEM version to a upgraded versions like windows 8
the new license would be in effect and you could transfer the license under section 17 of the license agreement.
(kind of a got ya. upgrade, then transfer would be ok, but transfer then upgrade is prohibited)
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2012 4:05:34 PM

The answer is a bit more complicated:

Legally, it works as follows:
If you purchase a Retail copy of Windows then you can put it on as many machines as you want... so long as it is only one machine at a time. For example; Lets say years ago you bought a Dell with winXP, and then wanted to upgrade to win7 when it came out, so you purchased the full retail version of the OS (not upgrade version, and not the OEM version). As time goes on you buy a new computer that has no OS, or even comes preinstalled with win8 and you don't like it (though you would be wrong, because win8 is pretty awesome); You can then install that retail copy on your new system perfectly legally, so long as you are recycling or using a different OS on your old machine.
Note that you are stuck with the retail copy of windows. You cannot sell a machine to someone else that still has your retail copy of windows on it because the liscence is nontransferable.

Option 2:
You built a system from scratch, and you purchase an OEM version of Win7 ($100 for home, $140 for pro). that OS is not tied to you personally, it is tied to the box you installed it on. By technical definition a 'computer' is considered the motherboard and case, and you cannot change more than 2-3 parts within a 3 month period to have it still be considered the same computer.
So if you purchased a new motherboard, then technically the answer would be no, you cannot reinstall the same copy of the OS on your new setup.

But then you have the practical end of things: Motherboards die, and you can not always replace them with the same brand or model, so Microsoft does allow for these types of changes in the event of a system failure.
On the other end of the spectrum there is the practical issue of the amount of energy it takes for MS to enforce the ridgid policies that they have set in place. If you are a home user, and you are not installing the same OS on a bunch of different computers, or you are a power user who has a very 'fluid' hardware setup, then MS is not going to give you any trouble for stretching their policy a little bit. I have had to call MS and talk to representatives on several occasions about reinstalling my OEM setups on my machines. It is typically a 5 minute conversation where I explain what was changed, or why I was reinstalling, and then they give me the new activation code. I have always been very up front with what I am doing, and they have always been very leanient. No dobut it helps that I have purchased several OSs over the years for myself, as well as for builds I do for other people, so they are well aware that they are getting their money out of me. But again, I reinstall my OS all the time, and have never been given any flack for it even with major changes where I basically am putting together a new system.

Johnbl is also right on the 'upgrade' versions as well. They are really odd with their upgrade policy, but again, they are pretty lax on enforcement.

Worse come to worse, install your old copy, if you are prompted to call MS then do so, and be up front about your changes, and just know that they have the right to say No and force you to purchase a new OS. You can purchase the new code over the phone, and still use your old install disc with the new licence.
Score
!