$650 system that run's Battlefield 3 [BUILT]

dirtynoona

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hey guys, I come from another forum, Silkroadforums. I'm looking for a bit more feed back on the current system I'm trying to build. All I want is for it to run BF3 on good settings with good fps (this means future games should be fine too right?).

[strike]Anyways, here's my current build, I will start ordering parts as late as wednesday![/strike]

[strike]Check my latest post for my latest build![/strike]

As of July 30th, I have completed my build. I would like to thank everybody who has helped me along the way!:)
See completed build along with the specs!

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/cEfR
file.php

What do you guys think?

Edit:

I didn't have a lot of time when I posted this; so here are a couple of things I left out.

My budget was originally just $600, and I originally had an i3 2120 on it, but after reading about performance issues with 64 man servers or whatever, i switched to the i5 2310. I suppose $50 is a small price to pay for a big performance difference.

The only things I'm unsure of are the motherboard and power supply. I know absolutely nothing about motherboards other than socket types and the pci slots, and I only chose a 550 watt power supply because I was afraid anything lower might compromise my system (I don't want it to fry from not having enough power or something) and cause it's 80+. Also, the graphics card, because I don't know if I can go cheaper for the same or better performance.

Do you guys think I could go with an even cheaper motherboard or power supply without sacrificing performance?

dirtynoona

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

I don't suppose high means ultra settings in BF3 right?
I won't necessarily be running BF3 in high settings 1080p, it's just nice to know that I'm able to. (I'm kind of using BF3 as a benchmark for performance)

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
You should just barely be able to play BF3 on high settings at 1080p, but I don't know how happy you'd be with the frame rates. And BTW, in BF3, high settings are below ultra settings. Here's an article from Tom's that talks about BF3 performance with an i3-2100 and some cheaper GPUs. In the article, they use an HD 5570, 6770, 6850, and 6950. I'd say your 550ti is very similar to the 6770, and should give similar FPS numbers to it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-2100-gaming-benchmark,3136-3.html

dirtynoona

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

I don't think I'll be playing on 1080p because the spare monitor I have is just a 19" 1440x900 (I think) screen. If I can play at max resolution and high (or greater) settings on that, I will be more than happy.

Then again, it would be really nice to know that my system is capable of playing 1080p with decent settings and fps.
From the article you posted, it seems like I'll be running just about the same settings. High/Ultra settings with some things turn to med/low.

JeanCoubat

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3

Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950.
Graphics card memory: 1 GB
Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card
Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

You do have a good processor that will certainly help you getting 50+ fps, but your graphic card is somehow a little bit below the recommendation (Which should, in average, give you about 45+ fps using medium graphics, 60Hz - 720p monitors).

I believe you could run Bf3 easily, but if you hope using max graphics, don't think having max fps. Also, games such Bf3 have many framerate drops depending on what's happening around you that you can or cannot actually see (As the system will still load / generate particles and effects).

However, you could easily get 50+ fps by using medium graphics, and reducing such little detail that takes alot from your graphic card. Reducing shadow details is the most common solution to quickly get a descent ammount of framerate above your average fps.

Hope this will help.

dirtynoona

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

Yes I will probably be running it on medium settings if I cannot run high with good fps. I figured the graphics card I chose is a little under par for BF3, but it'll have to do the trick for now because it's the only thing I can afford for the performance it churns out. I'll probably be upgrading the graphics card when it finally doesn't perform well on future games. :(
But yeah, the fps quotes you gave me gives me hope :')

JeanCoubat

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Glad I could help.

And I just want you to know that most of competitive players don't even use high-graphics on their games (Even if they could and get a constant 60 fps) since most of high graphics effects are handicaps. By example, far ennemies could see you, but YOU could not see them. Using blur and good weather effects may affect your gameplay (Mostly in shooters) since it will hide your vision from far targets. And this is just one of the many examples I could give.

And finally, I believe you won't need to get a new graphic card for a while since direct X 11 / 11.1 (Graphics that can use your graphic card) is the best optimal source for both performance and quality. Manufacturers are currently developping a direct X 12, but I can bet it won't be sold until a year or two.
We have reached a critical point in the evolution of graphic which makes the job for modellers harder than ever. Most of low budget developpers could not make it to direct X 12 because sallaries for graphic desiners would be so high, it would be gambling releasing new games with such high graphics.

So, if you think you can enjoy a game with med graphics, removing some effects that you won't even see any differences, your graphic card (And your system overall) may do the job for years.

Hope this will help too.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.88 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Patriot Gamer Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($19.88 @ Canada Computers)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($119.88 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($16.79 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $576.39
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-21 15:03 EDT-0400)

slightly better procesor, dual-channel ram, a better video card, and higher quality psu

Solution

dirtynoona

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Sadly, most of the parts you posted were from Canada Computers; which is actually my first preference if I could get cheaper prices there, but almost all of them are also on clearance and are unavailable to order online or even buy at a store near my house.

However, I did switch my CPU to an i5 2400, switched my PSU to the one you recommended, and switched my RAM to what I hope is the equivalent to what you recommended: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($19.99).
I would have probably switched my GPU to the 6870, but it's on clearance @ CC, and it's just too expensive everywhere else for me to consider it.

Here's the build I have now, I'm pretty damn happy with what I have now:
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/cJ4x

dirtynoona

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

Yeah I've been told that many times; so I switched it to a 6850.
I also switched to an different CPU and Motherboard:
AMD FX-8120
ASRock 970 Extreme3

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/cKde
file.php

I think I can get Canada Computers to price match the CPU; which would save me the shipping cost :D

EDIT:

I'm a little concerned about the power supply you recommended, a lot of reviews say that the PSU has died within a couple of months :X

dirtynoona

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

That PSU is way out of my budget. I think i'll just try my luck at the power supply I have now.

I went to Canada Computers today and bought the CPU, case, hard drive, optical drive, and power supply!
I also went ahead and ordered the RAM and GPU online, all that's left is the mobo; which I'll have to go out and buy from another Canada Computers.

I hope I made the right choice, I'll definitely post the results!

dirtynoona

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
^
Not necessarily, there are stores and other sites out there that have sales when newegg does not.

Here's an update guys:

Day 1: I went out and bought my CPU (PM'd), Hard Drive, Optical Drive (PM'd), Power Supply, and Case.

Day 2: I went out and bought my Motherboard, and Liquid Cooler (Antec H20 620)
Then I couldn't wait for my graphics card and ram to ship in; so I went ahead and started building, and this was the result of day 2:
545433_10151062036068209_1259887725_n.jpg

The fan originally came mounted on the rear side of my case, but I moved it to the top side because I needed the rear vent for my water cooling radiator+fan

Day 3: I took out the top fan because there wasn't room for my water cooler; so I just decided to mount it on the other side of my radiator. Then I realized that the screws were too big to screw my case fan into the radiator; so I went out and bought the proper screws, and also picked up 2 other case fans while I was at it.

I came back and mounted my radiator with the case fan, but when I tried to install it to the rear of my case, it didn't fit. Which ever orientation I tried, it just wouldn't fit, and it definitely would take up too much room if I tried to mount it to the top; so I actually got lucky and the whole thing fit snugly on the bottom of my case. I've read that there wasn't a problem in doing this, but I had to make sure I had adequate air intake.

Then I mounted both my new fans to the rear and top of my case. I set the rear fan so it's an air intake, and the top fan so it's an exhaust (heat naturally rises anyways). I also plugged everything I could in to make sure there were no conflicts with the wiring.
However, I did encounter another problem while I was mounting my water cooler to my cpu. I unintentionally stuck the water block with the thermal paste to my cpu; so I had to take it off to position it properly, should I be fine?
comopmcomcpmco.jpg

I'd keep the rear fan, but turn it around as an exhaust. then either move the top fan to the front as an intake, or keep it and buy a blue LED fan and put that in the front as an intake. a front intake will blow more air on your radiator and the GPU, and increase the movement of air from front and bottom to top and rear. a rear intake is at cross-purposes to the natural airflow

dirtynoona

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

Thanks for the advice, i'll definitely follow it!
I just hope screwing on the other side of my rear fan isn't going to be as hard as the side I screwed it on. I ended up somehow making my hand bleed because it was so damn hard to screw it in.

Also, what are some ways I can reduce the amount of dust from entering my system, and is more dust accumulated from intake or exhaust?

dirtynoona

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Day 4:
I went ahead and bought another fan, this time a 120MM 2000RPM PWM (rest of the fans I bought were sub 2000RPM I believe), 78CFM intake fan (should suffice right? I already have 3 exhaust fans lol) along with a sheet of the black window screens. I was told by a clerk at Canada Computers that the black screen will do the trick, and that he does the same thing with his computer. It only cost me $4 for it; which if it performs well, saves me a ton of money as opposed to $4/fan filter on the internet...

The ram I ordered from Memory Express was actually out of stock; so I just paid an extra $10 at Canada Computers and got double the RAM that I originally had (8GB now).

I flipped my rear fan to an exhaust as suggested, and added a front intake fan. The front intake fan was kind of difficult to install (was made A LOT easier with the rubber mounts it came with). At first I mounted the fan on the outside of my case; which I thought was the correct way of doing it, but I guess not...and when I tried to put my case's faceplate back on, it wouldn't fit; so I had to find a way to make the fan it. Luckily, I had juuuuuust enough clearance to fit my fan at the front and inside my case, it was no easy task getting it mounted though; nonetheless, it mounted and everything worked out; so everything was a success today :)
Oh and the filters went on without a problem :)

Pics:
pic1mu.jpg

pic2hf.jpg

pic3i.jpg

pic4ai.jpg

dirtynoona

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hey it's me again; so I finally finished my build yesterday! I'll post some pictures, screens and specs again.

Specs:
CASE: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
MOBO: ASRock 970 Extreme3
CPU: AMD FX-8120 3.1GhZ
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 1GB
RAM: Corsair XMS3 Classic 8GB (2x4GB)
PSU: Corsair Builders CX-500 500W
SSD: Corsair Force3 60GB
HDD: Western Digital 7200RPM 500GB
CPU COOLER: Antec H2O 620 w/ Push-Pull config.
CASE COOLING: 1 rear/top exhaust, 1 front intake
MONITOR: Acer AL1916W (1440x900)
Mouse: Logitech G500

Pictures:
The boxes
404159_10151077632653209_1436928847_n.jpg

Final look inside the case
304876_10151078094913209_1048017946_n.jpg

And final setup!
484495_10151078089813209_35759210_n.jpg

Screens:
Windows index score