dyslecix

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Hi, I have an EVGA GTX 570. I figure I could probably sell it on craigslist for ~220-240$? Maybe? Should i do this and buy a gtx 670, where the difference will be ~160-180$. I'm not sure if I should do this? Should I just wait longer for the next gen or what? Thx for input.

I think it's a good move, if you have the spare cash. If money's tight, I'm sure your 570 is doing just fine at maximum game settings as it is.

For me, I am waiting for the full Kepler lineup to be revealed, particularly the GK110 chip, to see if they come out with a gaming version that will be much better than the GTX 680. With a GTX 570/580, you have the luxury of waiting, but it likely will be the end of the year at the earliest before something better than the current options is released.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I also think it's a good move, if you have the spare cash.

I upgraded from a 570 to a pair of 670s in SLi, evan with SLi disabled the performance increase is very nice. As a bonus, it is also more power effient, quieter and cooler than the 570.

DarthTengil

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
If you already have a rather new and running PC and have bought a new 570 (I consider it to be new and Hi-End even if it not is the latest card) its insane to sell it just to get a "later" version just because it start with an 6 and not an 5! Its in the ground the basic same card and same series than 460 and 670, its really nothing brand new, just overclocked and have more circuits. See it this way: You have a damned good GPU that will last for a long time, why not use it and wait until you buy a new PC, or at least several years - and then get a new GPU that is the next generation (and not the first wave that comes in the springs but wait until the second wave reach the market for christmas say 2014-15)? If you want more graphic power I recommend you to get another 570 and run them in SLI, much cheaper and (in the first place) more resonable than first paying for the one you have and then paying even more to get the one starting with an 6, and you will absolutly get way more power than having one 670! When buying a new PC think that no part is better or lesser than the other if the entire machine holds the same quality from the PSU to the fans! Dont stirr you blind on a more expensive GPU - use that extra money to invest on a well balanced PC!

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

I can understand where you are coming from, but some people like to have the "latest & greatest". If he has spare cash floating around then why not. If moneys tight for the OP then your advice is very sound indeed.

Though I don't agree with advising him on getting another 570, its not worth it imo due to the 1.2GB Vram as you're still going to be limited on Vram on some games.

G

the million dollar question is:
what does the rest of your rig look like? got an SSD? good cooling? gaming with a decent pair of headphones/speakers?

if you are satisfied with the rest of it and you get decent coin for selling that 570 then by all means go for it!

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

I could agree with that if we were talking about 580/680 but these are 570/670's, which by their very nature are more of a budget card. Its silly to waste money upgrading to the "latest and greatest" budget card. You would be better saving a little longer and buying the real top end cards and get some real performance and use it longer.

G

WRONG.

until the market value of the 570 the OP has is known you cannot make that call.

in other words if it only costs him $150 to get a 670 THAT would be the best performance/cost. :)

No this is a very wrong answer... No one should get the 680 now that the 670 is out.. Why would I save an extr 100 bucks for 5 to 10% diffrence in games? this is the first time I have seen two high end cards be this close to each other this makes there almost no reason to get the highest end card. I would see a much more compelling reason to go from 570 to 670 than 580 to 680 I would tell a 580 ower to stay put and keep there card as it is only going to be an 10% to 15% upgrade there also...

Thent

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

The problem is the boost in performance getting a 670 would be minimal (like 25% at most) while adding a 2nd 570 would be 75%-100% depending on the game. That's the better deal regardless of what he could sell his 570 for.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

That depends on how high you want your frames on max settings on demanding games. For me the higher the better, always. When you are already spending $400 the extra $100 is worth it, sometimes its the difference between staying smooth in demanding situations and getting choppy.

I agree on the 580 owner staying put though, not worth the very large expense to go 680. I run 2x 580's and I wont be upgrading until the 7 series.

tjs4ever

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Can I just point out something about human nature? Everyone wants a deal. I always have ads on Craigslist/Kijiji. Always. I look at police auctions, and garage sales. I hunt on Ebay. I also buy and sell for a living. There are risks involved that nobody is thinking through: there is the possibility that your old card does not sell at all. Or some smart-ass kid promises to pay you $190, but "oops" he only showed up with $150.

When selling through such venues, you have to expect, and be happy with a massive loss. Do I think the GTX670 is worth ~$200 more than your GTX570? Maybe. But in the meantime you have a product for sale that depreciates every minute.

I suggest building a whole new rig in 1-3 years, get a core I-five-thousand with a GTX770 by that time. Ours is a hobby that changes too frequently for any sane person to stay at the bleeding edge.

G

and you got those figure from where? between your ears?

the performance boost over a single 570 would be AT LEAST 25%
perfrel_1920.gif

a 570 in SLI would give 30% to 80% increase depending on the game and resolution (you have completely failed at knowing how much memory the 570 the OP has . .a 1.28gb will not perform nearly as well as a 2gb card :non: ) so can't make that call either . . .

also the power consumption would be quadruple (162 vs 634) yep i just pulled the power cost out of my butt too :) (gee, anyone ask the OP what PSU he has? :non: )
power_maximum.gif

now for a bit more . . lets see spend $300 to get (ok i'll make it it up) 75% average performance increase . .but what then? no upgrade there, huh? OP is stuck with two cards in a few years that are old and outdated and will have to spend a buttload of money just to "side grade". see all those people that are trying to sell their old 260s and 285s on ebay and craiglist . .just sitting there?

with getting a 670 for $150, sure the performance isn't as good as a 570 sli, i am not disputing that, but when it comes to later down the road . . whats he gonna do?

so as far as the price/performance . .can't make that judgement because not only is there a few unknown varibles with the 570 card(s) but now add the cost of a PSU if the OP doesn't have a 750 watt.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Lol, you sound mad.

Your charts have only proven me right. Another 570 would boost him by on average at least 75% in any game demanding and relevant enough to really matter. The 670 only roughly 25%. As for cost since we are talking eBay and Craigslist he could pick up that 2nd 570 for around $200 used or possibly less with some bargaining.

As for future upgrade he could easily wait for a 7 series or possibly further if only playing at 1080. Not much of a "trade in" value will be left but you will have gotten a ton more time out of the hardware. That is still value, the longer you use something before buying something new the more value you have gotten from it. Selling hardware as soon as something new comes out and getting the newest will still cost you more money in the long run than stretching it out as long as it is still viable.

When talking SLI you can easily go 2 to 3 generations which is a TON of value. I went from SLI 8800gtx to SLI 580. That was a LONG time between purchases and my 8800's were still running most games on med to high or better at 40 to 60 frames.

The only point you have that is valid is whether he has a power supply that can run SLI, you could be right there but most decent power supplies are SLI ready and if his isn't he probably should upgrade to a better quality one anyway. You should never skimp on power supplies.

G

your points encourage sticking with a single 570 than going SLI.

btw, i'll repeat again the performance of a 570 sli set will far exceed a single 670, why do you bring that up as if i am arguing that point? i differed with the numbers you made up; the benchmarks i posted have nothing to do with being mad, which i am far from, then dealing with real numbers instead of speculation. which i'll point out you stated a sli would increase 100% where as 75% is more likely and the most he would get with a 670 is 25% which the average, not roughly.

but your refusing to look at the added problems a sli set up causes that a single card doesn't except for the added power consumption, such as the limited Vram and i'll introduce the microstuttering issue. well, there is heat and having to be concerned about cooling in the case; all that usual gobbledegook. your also just blowing off the power requirements for the sli set up with
but most decent power supplies are SLI ready and if his isn't he probably should upgrade to a better quality one anyway
the power consumption of a 570 sli far exceeds most decent PSUs total wattage. it is not common by far for a 60+ amp 12 volt rail with 4 pci power connections to be sitting in someone's rig. so lets add another $80-$100 to the cost of a sli set up, eh?

your 8800gtx is not exactly relevant when comparing it to a 570; that card was a complete beast and it was several generations before there was a card that could compare/compete to/with it; so it doesn't go far down the line of reason that it would be several generations before there was something to upgrade with. already there are several cards, 690, 680 and the 670 that leave the 570 in the dust along with the 660 (ti or not) that looks to compete directly with the mid gaming card level (the 78xx/570s).

if your stuck on, "well i hung onto my 8800 sli rig until . . ." thats fine but this is not the case. or if you think, "hang on until you run what you have into the ground before you upgrade". that might be great for you but looking at ebay right now and seeing a lot of 570s going for $250 to an outrageous $400 (yes quite few people try to sell for more than market value) now would be the time to sell when there is some value. it is also a lot easier to sell one 570 than to get rid of a sli set up. the fermi is already a few generations old so it is not a case of exchanging new tech for newer tech.

though i ask myself why even debate about a SLI set up when that isn't the topic of discussion? :lol:
your making a lot of assumptions about the OPs wants, needs and rig set up by furthering you POV. does he even have a motherboard with another x16 slot? :lol:

cheers.

G

570 SLi> 670 simple.
570 SLi with overclocks!>>>670.
Vram issues only come into play at past 2560x1600, here is my results:

2560x1600 single GTX 480 results:

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
4974, 161383, 0, 57, 30.821
Bear in mind, i had started the benchmark before applying the full screen resolution of 2560x1600, so the minimum would be around 16 fps, as this was the lowest i saw it drop for around 3 seconds.

I have limited the card to the x4 slot.. so expect better from a higher bandwidth lane.

http://i46.tinypic.com/14xjkn5.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/28ioie9.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2jd4zo5.jpg
:whistle:
now you have to show off you found how to up your monitor resolution!
:lol: :pt1cable: :lol: :pt1cable: :lol: :pt1cable:

tjs4ever

Honorable
May 17, 2012
For me it's simply a question of performance per dollar. Take a look at the passmark charts. You can trade up all you like, but are losing money every step of the way... Then again, I'm still rockin' a C2Q.

rafcon76

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

There is one on craiglist for $160-- http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/sys/3181104640.html
I was trying to sell my gtx 470 too but i,m not sure,i get P6128 score(3dmark 11) @ 845mhz and battlefield feels playable at mid to ultra settings,ssao, high fxaa and no msaa i,m getting about 75 avg and 55 min at 1680*1050 i,m not sure if worth it cause i have a 120hz monitor and i could use more frames.

tomalh

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Just for you guys, there's also some GTX570 with 2.5GB of ram... I have two GTX 570 PoV TGT beast 2.5gb in sli, and it kills any 670 you put in front... by far! TGT optimized the power consumption and it's amazingly low demanding vs wht i read in the reviews.

I actually remember when people whee telling me that 25gb wasn't needed, I now laugh about it.

my advice would be if it's a 570 1gb sell it, if it's a 2.5 go sli

Cheers
Thomas