AOE and other abbreviations

I have been lurking here for a while and there are some abbreviations that
keep popping up again and again, some of which I have figured out by myself
(or at least think I have :), others I have identified with being Instance
names without knowing which instance they refer to (figuring that not having
been there at lvl23 is a 'good thing' :)

Of course things aren't helped by reading an english group while playing on
a german game version...

The one that I haven't figured out yet is AOE. Anyone give me a hint?

Is there a list of all the common abbreviations and special terms? It would
be nice to double check whether all the guesses about the words being trhown
around this group were correct.

Thanks
Urbin, lvl23 Dwarven Hunter

AOE = Area Of Effect

"Urbin" <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote in message
>I have been lurking here for a while and there are some abbreviations that
> keep popping up again and again, some of which I have figured out by
> myself
> (or at least think I have :), others I have identified with being
> Instance
> names without knowing which instance they refer to (figuring that not
> having
> been there at lvl23 is a 'good thing' :)
>
> Of course things aren't helped by reading an english group while playing
> on
> a german game version...
>
> The one that I haven't figured out yet is AOE. Anyone give me a hint?
>
> Is there a list of all the common abbreviations and special terms? It
> would
> be nice to double check whether all the guesses about the words being
> trhown
> around this group were correct.
>
> Thanks
> Urbin, lvl23 Dwarven Hunter

alex

"Urbin" <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote in message
>I have been lurking here for a while and there are some abbreviations that
> keep popping up again and again, some of which I have figured out by
> myself
> (or at least think I have :), others I have identified with being
> Instance
> names without knowing which instance they refer to (figuring that not
> having
> been there at lvl23 is a 'good thing' :)
>
> Of course things aren't helped by reading an english group while playing
> on
> a german game version...
>
> The one that I haven't figured out yet is AOE. Anyone give me a hint?
>
> Is there a list of all the common abbreviations and special terms? It
> would
> be nice to double check whether all the guesses about the words being
> trhown
> around this group were correct.
>
> Thanks
> Urbin, lvl23 Dwarven Hunter

AOE = Area Of Effect. anything with a burst radius, like the Hunters Volley
or a Mage's Blizzard

"Urbin" <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:

> I have been lurking here for a while and there are some abbreviations that
> keep popping up again and again, some of which I have figured out by myself
> (or at least think I have :), others I have identified with being Instance
> names without knowing which instance they refer to (figuring that not having
> been there at lvl23 is a 'good thing' :)
>
> Of course things aren't helped by reading an english group while playing on
> a german game version...

If you're playing on an english server, I'd strongly recommend to switch to
an english client. Makes live a lot easier :)

> The one that I haven't figured out yet is AOE. Anyone give me a hint?

Area of effect. Means a spell/ability/whatever, whose effect is not placed
on a single target, but on all targets within a certain area. Usually a
effect is called AoE when it effects more than 1 target.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (14) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:16:01 +0200, Christian Stauffer <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> "Urbin" <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:
>
> > Of course things aren't helped by reading an english group while playing on
> > a german game version...
>
> If you're playing on an english server, I'd strongly recommend to switch to
> an english client. Makes live a lot easier :)

nope, I'm playing a german client on a german server (though I've looked
onto Sunstrider for a PvP alt just on the off chance of maybe meeting some
of the regulars in the far future :)

> > The one that I haven't figured out yet is AOE. Anyone give me a hint?
>
> Area of effect.

thx

Urbin, lvl23 Dwarven Hunte

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Urbin <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> stared blankly into space for a short
while before writing:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/glossary.html

--
Doc
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with beer...

Doc ytrede sig i <42b04f7c$1@duster.adelaide.on.net> med dette:

>Urbin <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> stared blankly into space for a short
>while before writing:
>> I have been lurking here for a while and there are some
>> abbreviations that keep popping up again and again, some of which I
>> have figured out by myself (or at least think I have :), others I
>> have identified with being Instance names without knowing which
>> instance they refer to (figuring that not having been there at
>> lvl23 is a 'good thing' :)
>>
>> Of course things aren't helped by reading an english group while
>> playing on a german game version...
>>
>> The one that I haven't figured out yet is AOE. Anyone give me a
>> hint?
>>
>> Is there a list of all the common abbreviations and special terms?
>> It would be nice to double check whether all the guesses about the
>> words being trhown around this group were correct.
>

>http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/glossary.html

Funny they haven't included the abrevation I hate the most: CC (Crowd
Control), since I'm so used to it meaning Carbon Copy, so I always has
to stop and think about what it means in this context.
--
Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
"When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:55:42 +1000, Doc <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:

> > Is there a list of all the common abbreviations and special terms?
> > It would be nice to double check whether all the guesses about the
> > words being trhown around this group were correct.
>
> http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/glossary.html

Great, just what I have been looking for. thanks

Urbin, lvl23 Dwarven Hunter

AOE - Area Of Affect
MT - Main Tank
MA - Main Assist
ML - Master Loot
CC - Crowd Control
Inc - Incomming

DM - Dire Maul
BRS - Black Rock Spire
BRD - Black Rock Depths
LBRS - Lower Black Rock Spire
UBRS - Upper Black Rock Spire
Scholo - Scholomance
Strath - Stratholme
ST - Sunken Temple
WC - Waling Caverns
RFC - Ragefire Chasm
RFK - Razorfen Kraul
BB - Booty Bay
UC - Under City
Org - Orgrimar
XR - Cross Roads
STV - Stranglethorn Vale
SM - Scarlet Monastery
MC - Molten Core
BWL - Blackwing Lair

G - Greed
N - Need

I will post more as I think of em :)

VC = Van Cleef (refers to a Deadmines run)
SV = Stranglethorn Vale (I see that about as often as STV)
pat = patrol

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (34) on Stormrage [PvE]

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:24:29 +0200, ASKF wrote:

> Doc ytrede sig i <42b04f7c$1@duster.adelaide.on.net> med dette:
>
>>Urbin <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> stared blankly into space for a short
>>while before writing:
>>> I have been lurking here for a while and there are some
>>> abbreviations that keep popping up again and again, some of which I
>>> have figured out by myself (or at least think I have :), others I
>>> have identified with being Instance names without knowing which
>>> instance they refer to (figuring that not having been there at
>>> lvl23 is a 'good thing' :)
>>>
>>> Of course things aren't helped by reading an english group while
>>> playing on a german game version...
>>>
>>> The one that I haven't figured out yet is AOE. Anyone give me a
>>> hint?
>>>
>>> Is there a list of all the common abbreviations and special terms?
>>> It would be nice to double check whether all the guesses about the
>>> words being trhown around this group were correct.
>>

>>http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/glossary.html
>
> Funny they haven't included the abrevation I hate the most: CC (Crowd
> Control), since I'm so used to it meaning Carbon Copy, so I always has
> to stop and think about what it means in this context.

It took me about 2 weeks of guessing (not constantly, mind you) before I
figured that CC was Crowd Control (I knew it could be carbon copy which I
also associate cc with). I don't see a reason except in combat to use
abreviations much. There is usually time to write it all, like on news or
in a forum. That said, I do use abreviations once in a while.

Bernhard

On 2005-06-16 10:05:59 +0200, Bernhard Ege <bernhard@NOSPAMege.cc> said:

> It took me about 2 weeks of guessing (not constantly, mind you) before I
> figured that CC was Crowd Control (I knew it could be carbon copy which I
> also associate cc with). I don't see a reason except in combat to use
> abreviations much. There is usually time to write it all, like on news or
> in a forum. That said, I do use abreviations once in a while.

I tend to avoid abreviations as much as possible, cause I like typing I
guess. There are however, as you said, exceptions, and mainly when the
abbreviation is so commonly used its a word in itself or expresses
something that has a certain feeling attached to it (e.g. LOL). Or its
brevity makes the phrase easier to read.

One example is that as a Lock, I always talk about my DoTs. And DoTting
the enemy. Alternatively I could say: I will cast my Damage over Time
spells on the enemy. Also if you check the /4 channel, you often see
e.g. LFG UBRS (Priest). Which is in my opinion much clearer and easier
to read than: "Priest Looking For Group for Upper Blackrock Spire". As
if a Priest would ever be looking for a group in the first place...
--
http://www.new-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 53 - Bloodscalp EU

"Jonny Barr" <jonny_a_b@hotmail.com> wrote:

> TBH ABBs R A PITA IMO

NACK

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

ASKF wrote:
> Funny they haven't included the abrevation I hate the most: CC (Crowd
> Control), since I'm so used to it meaning Carbon Copy, so I always has
> to stop and think about what it means in this context.

To make matters worse, it's also often used for "Corpse Camp".

Cheers!
David...

LOL

N00b - An incredibly uncool way to say newb. Don't use it.

God damn n00bs.

nvrsbr a écrit :
> AOE - Area Of Affect
> MT - Main Tank
> MA - Main Assist
> ML - Master Loot
> CC - Crowd Control
> Inc - Incomming
>
> DM - Dire Maul
> BRS - Black Rock Spire
> BRD - Black Rock Depths
> LBRS - Lower Black Rock Spire
> UBRS - Upper Black Rock Spire
> Scholo - Scholomance
> Strath - Stratholme
> ST - Sunken Temple
> WC - Waling Caverns
> RFC - Ragefire Chasm
> RFK - Razorfen Kraul
> BB - Booty Bay
> UC - Under City
> Org - Orgrimar
> XR - Cross Roads
> STV - Stranglethorn Vale
> SM - Scarlet Monastery
> MC - Molten Core
> BWL - Blackwing Lair
>
> G - Greed
> N - Need

AE - Area of effect damage spell (stands for Arcane Explosion)
IAE - Instant Area of effect damage spell (stands for Improved Arcane
Explosion)
FP - Flight Path
V - Vendor (=Greed)
GZ - GGZ - Gadgetzan
OOC - Out of Character (meaning you stop roleplaying)
OOM - Out of mana
add - unexpected monster engaging
pop - monster respawn in fight
rez - resurrection
CC - Cone of Cold
MB - Mind Blast
MC - Mind Control
HoT - Heal over time
dis - disenchant
ding - new level!
ST - Sunken Temple
LFM - Looking for Man (group looking for one guy)
LFG - Looking for Group (one guy looking for group)
j/k - just kidding (took me a few years to understand that one)
!1!!111one!1eleven! - "!" (took me a few years as well. French
equivalent would be "!§§§§!§§§!!paragraph!§§paragraph!"
because of the keyboard layout)
runddddwwwwwwwwwwwww - run away

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Maysie <none@yahoo.com> stared blankly into space for a short while
before writing:
> LOL
>
> N00b - An incredibly uncool way to say newb. Don't use it.
>

> God damn n00bs.

You might want to consider quoting, then people can tell who you are
responding to.

--
Doc

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:

snipetty doo-dah

> LFM - Looking for Man (group looking for one guy)

I always assumed this to be - Looking For More

> runddddwwwwwwwwwwwww - run away

I've actually done that, but there again most people have probably done
it too.

--
Doc

LFM - Looking For More
LFG - Looking for Group
PST - Please Send Tell
WTS - Wanted To Sell
WTB - Wanted To Buy
LTB - Looking To Buy
LTT - Looking to Trade

On 2005-06-22 23:53:00 +0200, "Doc" <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> said:

> Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> stared blankly into space for a
> short while before writing:
>
> snipetty doo-dah
>
>> LFM - Looking for Man (group looking for one guy)
>
> I always assumed this to be - Looking For More

I even seem to remember it means - Looking For Members
--
http://www.new-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 55 - Bloodscalp EU