Upgrading system from SLI to single card

Status
Not open for further replies.

talmania

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Looking at an upgrade for my secondary (read SO's) system that's occasionally used as a gaming platform for when friends come over. I'll be repurposing my i920/x58 system with 2x GTX 285 SLI's for this secondary system and getting myself a new Ivy Bridge Z77 solution.

My question is I don't want to step down in graphics quality from the SLI GTX-285 but I definitely don't want to consider another SLI system at this time. Comparing SLI configs to single cards gets tricky when looking at Tom's and other sites.

What cards should I be considering if I don't want to take a step backwards but also don't necessarily want to buy top of the line? Ideally it'd be under 500 and closer to $250.

Thanks in advance for the advice and recommendations!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:Within 30 days.
BUDGET RANGE: Want to keep it under 500.00, would prefer 250 or so.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming--not a hardcore gamer and have a huge backlog of titles such as Bioshock, Fallout3, Elder Scrolls Skyrim, Crysis, Batman etc. Currently playing alot of Diablo III, SWTOR.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: SLI NVidia EVGA GTX 285 SC, Corsair PRO HX 850W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Most likely doing full upgrade to Z77 and i5-3750K IB.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg by far.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Typically gone with EVGA and NVIDIA in the past but not opposed to other offerings.

OVERCLOCKING:NO SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not now and preferrably not for awhile.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1900x1200 1600x1200 (secondary)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: None.

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Sad you need to be under $500, otherwise I'd have recommended you the MSI twinfrozr gtx 680, but since it has to fit the budget I'd say a gtx 670 is very OK (gigabyte OC version) . That way you'll notice a significant upgrade.

The graphics card is the real engine of gaming. More so than the cpu.
A $500 budget gets you a GTX680.
A $400 budget gets you GTX670. It is almost as strong as a GTX680.
Your psu is fine for either.
My preference would be for a EVGA reference card. I like the dual slot direct exhaust cooler. It gets the heat out of the case directly. Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

Solution

talmania

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Thanks all for the replies... I did say $500 or less but honestly after looking at that MSI 680 card 40.00 more isn't a deal breaker for me. $700.00 would absolutely be a deal breaker. I don't like throwing money away (duh) but if 40.00 gets me a better solution then I'm in.

Throwing another wrinkle into it, what if I stated I preferred a quiet solution? Obviously it's not going to be silent but I do everythign i can to keep the noise down (case, fans etc.).

Thanks!

I am using a EVGA GTX680 and it really is a quiet card.
For quiet, put your parts in a quiet case, with large, slow turning fans.
Avoid the all in ine liquid coolers, they seem to need fast fans. A decent air cooler will do the job and be quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.