Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best $200 Gpu Upgrade from the gtx 260

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 28, 2012 8:50:09 PM

Hey guys! I own the GTx 260 and it WAS a good card but now its just old tech.What is a good upgrade that is around 200 dollars that would be very nicee?


Specs:
As rock 970 extreme 4
Amd Phenom X4 Zosma 3.0 ghz quad core (Ocd to 3.2 ghz 6 core)
Hdd:1 tb 7200 Rpm
GPU;Gtx 260
Ram: 8 Gb corsair vengeance
Psu;Antec 650 watt
Case:Coolermaster Haf 922
OS:window 32 bit
May 28, 2012 9:04:54 PM

6870 is well under 200. You can also opt for the 2gb card, but that argument has a lot of controversy. 6950s are on sale for 200 on newegg and you can unlock them if you wish. 560 ti is also a great card that has a low temps, but its pretty annoying that nvidia has a 560, 560ti, then 560ti 448 cuda core version. But benchmarks show 6950 is a better card.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 28, 2012 9:20:12 PM

ryfry said:
6870 is well under 200. You can also opt for the 2gb card, but that argument has a lot of controversy. 6950s are on sale for 200 on newegg and you can unlock them if you wish. 560 ti is also a great card that has a low temps, but its pretty annoying that nvidia has a 560, 560ti, then 560ti 448 cuda core version. But benchmarks show 6950 is a better card.


Woah good find! I didn't realize that the 6950 was available at $200 (thought it was still up closer to $250). Yeah, that's the card to get for that price then; it's 5-10% faster than the 560ti.

I change my recommendation to one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
0
l
May 28, 2012 9:21:18 PM

2665688,2,134721 said:
560ti is still the best around the $200 price point. If you can go over that, the HD 7850 is a good deal around $250, but if your budget is $200 and not more, get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's a very capable card.[/quotemsg



Is the performance increase from the gtx 260 worth 200 bucks though?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 9:22:14 PM

I don't know if I would get the Zotac GTX 560 ti; people are having a lot of issues with Zotac lately because of their (supposedly) horrible customer service.

It's probably better to go with EVGA. In any case, the 560 ti is your best bet :) 

Oh, nvm. I didn't realize the 6950 was that cheap either... Unless you like nVidia more, get the 6950 2gb.
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 9:26:08 PM

Ironslice said:
I don't know if I would get the Zotac GTX 560 ti; people are having a lot of issues with Zotac lately because of their (supposedly) horrible customer service.

It's probably better to go with EVGA. In any case, the 560 ti is your best bet :) 

Oh, nvm. I didn't realize the 6950 was that cheap either... Unless you like nVidia more, get the 6950 2gb.



I mean i do like nvidia but ive never used Radeon is it just as good?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 9:28:48 PM

abnormalweeny said:
2665688,2,134721 said:
560ti is still the best around the $200 price point. If you can go over that, the HD 7850 is a good deal around $250, but if your budget is $200 and not more, get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's a very capable card.[/quotemsg



Is the performance increase from the gtx 260 worth 200 bucks though?
said:


Yes, I went from an EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 to a Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti(stock) and the difference was very noticable.

But as others have stated if you can get a 6950 at the $200 price, grab it.
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 12:53:06 AM

I saw the 7850 for a similar price to that of the 6950. Id say get the 7850, its a newer card so when the drivers mature more you;ll get more performance also lower power consumption, but you cant unlock cores like you can with the 6950. gl man!
m
0
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 1:09:31 AM

i don't see monitor/res nor what opsys.............. 32bit DMS.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 1:53:47 AM

My post has no relivance at all went from 260 GTX 216 to 670 GTX holey moley went from having to fenagle medium settings to maxing everything out on every game. Never been able to do that before.

m
0
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 2:08:50 AM

thently said:
My post has no relivance at all went from 260 GTX 216 to 670 GTX holey moley went from having to fenagle medium settings to maxing everything out on every game. Never been able to do that before.


you're right, it has no relevance.
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 4:18:24 AM

Don't buy a 6950 with the assumption that you can unlock it to a 6970. I had a XFX 6950 that simply would not unlock. I discovered afterwards that the manufacturers caught on, first by software locking the bios, then by physically severing the additional cores.

As far as Zotac - I bought a Zotac recently, and had some problems with my mail-in rebate, as well as a free game voucher that would not redeem. The best customer service? No. Did they eventually follow through? Yes. I would say their customer service is not stellar, but they do eventually deliver.

Now, being a Nvidia user, who tried the AMD road briefly, only to come back... If you prefer Nvidia, stay nvidia. The upgrade process will be slightly simplier as well, due to unified drivers.
m
0
l
!