Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
PSU: Corsair HW850
SDD: Crucial 128 GB
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500 GB
Memory: GSkill Sniper 4GBx2 DDR3 1600 PC3 12800
Motherboard: ASUS P8 Z68V/Gen 3 (ATX)
Optical Drives: Samsung Blue Ray Drive
GFX: ASUS GTX 560ti DCUII Top

I recently received a job as a field desktop support technician and my lifestyle has changed.

I am still in school, albeit for a different profession (civil engineering), and I feel that my build is a bit excessive. (finishing in two weeks!)

Tied in with the fact that I have become a pseudo-road warrior, I feel that my life needs a blend of mobility.

I am considering buying an ultrabook to accomodate my road needs. I have been using an iPad given to me by my company and using VPN sessions to do my work, but it is more of a hindrance to me as opposed to using a laptop or a machine.

I would love to keep my home workstation for CAD practicing and my home entertainment suite, but I feel that my case, my board, and my PSU are too excessive for my needs.

I am considering selling my case and getting a smaller one (maybe a lanboy lite or one of fractal designs smaller designs), switching to a micro ATX motheboard because I only need to expansion slots, getting a lower capacity PSU (probably a 750W or a 650W), and getting a lower profile cooler preferably a noctua nh-l12 or a noctua nh-c12p se14.

Or, my third option would be to sell my entire machine along with my monitor and purchase a mobile workstation such as a precision or an elitebook.

My company gets great discounts from HP.

I have heard that the Sager 9150 is an excellent mobile workstation.

So, in summary, I wish to downsize my current build because I feel that it is excessive for my current and future needs and purchase an ultrabook for mobility and work.

The second option would be to get a mobile workstation and a laptop for CAD practicing and for work on the road respectively.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

More about : downsizing build

Best solution

July 21, 2012 5:08:10 PM

Well ITX builds are becoming more popular, with new chassis coming out from companies like LianLi, Coolermaster, and Fractil. If you grabbed the coolermaster elite 120 for example you could keep ALL your parts except for mobo and cpu cooler.
July 21, 2012 5:26:34 PM

Max1s said:
Well ITX builds are becoming more popular, with new chassis coming out from companies like LianLi, Coolermaster, and Fractil. If you grabbed the coolermaster elite 120 for example you could keep ALL your parts except for mobo and cpu cooler.

I was looking at both the Silverstone temjin tjo8b-e and the fractal design core 1000, but that cooler can accomodate more SSDs than the temjin without the need for drive bay converters. And it is only 50? Sweet
m
l
Related resources
July 21, 2012 9:20:24 PM

Get a Sleekbook when they come out, and just use Window's Homegroup feature and rock both devices... That is what I would do.
m
l
!