How to lower the cpu voltage on a a8n-la?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikalatorre

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I installed a AMD 64 x2 4800+ in an old compaq I have. It ran fine for a month with the stock heats ink but now the CPU gets up to 100°c and shuts down the system. I'm pretty sure that the voltage is too high. Does anyone know how to adjust the voltage? I know this system is an ancient but I'm a soldier with a family so money is an issue. :) thanks for any help.

Solution

You can go into the BIOS and see if it allows you to mess with the voltages but more then likely you can't. It's an OEM computer with an OEM motherboard and more than likely the BIOS is locked. OEM's don't want users to overclock the CPU or blow out the motherboard with high voltages so they lock the BIOS.

You can go into the BIOS and see if it allows you to mess with the voltages but more then likely you can't. It's an OEM computer with an OEM motherboard and more than likely the BIOS is locked. OEM's don't want users to overclock the CPU or blow out the motherboard with high voltages so they lock the BIOS.

Solution
Not that I know of but even if there was I wouldn't use it. The fact is that the computer BIOS settings were pre set. They were set at a known good settings and to mess with it because you think the voltages are to high is not a good idea. It voids you warranty and can cause the system to be unstable and not boot. If the computer is not causing any problems like boot failures or overheating I wouldn't mess with it. If it is having problems I would call HP and talk to them about it before you decide to take things into you own hands.

erikalatorre

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I'll give them a call then. The overheating has rendered the system useless as it shuts down during any system load. The over voltage is the only solution that I can see. Going from single core to dual core has my system buckling under the pressure. Thanks again for your attention to my issue.

Before you call them I would check a couple things

1) Make sure the new CPU is compatible with the OEM motherboard. If it's not it can cause alot of problems.

2) When you replaced the new CPU did you clean off the old thermal paste and re-apply. Not doing so can cause overheating

3) Is the heatink on right and is locked down?

erikalatorre

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I did all of those things. I verified comparability and applied new thermal paste. I did ,however, use the stock heat sink and fan but have replaced it with a larger diameter fan and heat sink. It's just an aluminum one. Would a copper high speed one lower my CPU temp 30°c? Prob not?

What was the TDP of the old CPU and what is the TDP of the new CPU. The only other thing I can think of is the new CPU is a higher TDP and the old stock heatsink can't dissipate the heat of the new CPU. What I mean is you can't use the heatsink of a 65 watt Pentium G on a 95 Watt I5 2500K. The Pentium G heasink wasn't made to dissipate 95 watts and under load more than likely the I5 will start to overheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.