Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Go for a AMD Phenom x4 965 BE or AMD A10 5800K, both with a 6670 GPU?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • GPUs
  • AMD
  • Phenom
Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2012 6:06:33 PM

Wich one?, wich would give me better results with games?, both of them will have a 6670 GPU, i know that the A10 has got an integrated GPU, but i have read that it can be crossfired with the APU, so what should i buy?

I have also read that the DDR5 and the DDR3 would give the same perfomance when they are crossfired with the APU, is this true?

More about : amd phenom 965 amd a10 5800k 6670 gpu

a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 2, 2012 6:13:43 PM

trenico said:
Wich one?, wich would give me better results with games?, both of them will have a 6670 GPU, i know that the A10 has got an integrated GPU, but i have read that it can be crossfired with the APU, so what should i buy?

I have also read that the DDR5 and the DDR3 would give the same perfomance when they are crossfired with the APU, is this true?

What are you going to be doing with this computer? If you are going to be using a dedicated graphics card then there really is no point in getting the APU. The main feature of the APU is it's integrated graphics and if you are going to be using a dedicated graphics card then it's kind of pointless.
m
l
December 2, 2012 6:18:49 PM

rds1220 said:
What are you going to be doing with this computer? If you are going to be using a dedicated graphics card then there really is no point in getting the APU. The main feature of the APU is it's integrated graphics and if you are going to be using a dedicated graphics card then it's kind of pointless.

I'll use it for gaming, people says that when you crossfire a GPU with a APU, you get better perfomance, here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQtC9YvABEY , the phenom is just $20 more expensive, even less, but i dont know if the Phenom 965 with the video card would be better than this, thats what i want to know.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2012 6:20:49 PM

Where are you looking for the Phenom II X4 965, I believe it sells for around $80 whereas the a10 5800k goes for $100. Either way instead of buying the HD 6670 and A10-5800k just go for the Phenom II X4 965 and an HD 7770. Should be more cheaper in the end.
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 2, 2012 6:28:20 PM

trenico said:
I'll use it for gaming, people says that when you crossfire a GPU with a APU, you get better perfomance, here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQtC9YvABEY , the phenom is just $20 more expensive, even less, but i dont know if the Phenom 965 with the video card would be better than this, thats what i want to know.

You would be better off with the Phenom II with one high end video card than an crossfiring the APU. With crossfiring the APU you are pretty much crossfiring two low end video cards. You are always better with a strong CPU and one good, solid high-end video card over two crossfired or SLI'd low end video cards.
m
l
December 2, 2012 6:47:03 PM

rds1220 said:
You would be better off with the Phenom II with one high end video card than an crossfiring the APU. With crossfiring the APU you are pretty much crossfiring two low end video cards. You are always better with a strong CPU and one good, solid high-end video card over two crossfired or SLI'd low end video cards.

In the context of his given information, the A10-5800k is the superior choice. Perhaps he already has the HD 6670.
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 2, 2012 6:55:14 PM

How would that be the "superior" choice. No matter what APU you get you are still getting a weak GPU compared to a dedicated graphics card. Also you can only crossfire up to a 6670. So no matter what APU you get you are crossfiring two low end video cards. Not to mention that in terms of CPU power the quad core APU is weak compared to a quad core I5 or Phenom II. Again you would be better off with a good solid quad core CPU like a Phenom II or I5 and a single high end video card like a GTX 670 or 7950/7970 than an APU with a weak CPU core and two low end video cards.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2012 7:07:02 PM

^+10000000000000 :p 
m
l
December 2, 2012 7:29:08 PM

AFAIK A10 (Trinity) uses PD cores so i don't think it would be weaker on the CPU side. Though, i'd pick pII and a better GPU in that set up, maybe something like a HD 7850 if the budget is not tight
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 2, 2012 7:40:30 PM

These benchmarks are related to CPU power only. For anyone looking at these benchmarks please do not say "but the A10 has better integrated graphics." Yes we know that but that is not what is being compared we are tossing graphics out the window and comparing just CPU power.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6347/amd-a10-5800k-a8-560...
m
l
December 2, 2012 9:06:16 PM

rds1220 said:
How would that be the "superior" choice. No matter what APU you get you are still getting a weak GPU compared to a dedicated graphics card. Also you can only crossfire up to a 6670. So no matter what APU you get you are crossfiring two low end video cards. Not to mention that in terms of CPU power the quad core APU is weak compared to a quad core I5 or Phenom II. Again you would be better off with a good solid quad core CPU like a Phenom II or I5 and a single high end video card like a GTX 670 or 7950/7970 than an APU with a weak CPU core and two low end video cards.

How would it not be?
Maybe I'm actually trying to answer his question. It is superior in this case in reference to his question, "Wich will give me better results with games?" He also states that both WILL have HD 6670s. In that case, the 10-5800k will be superior for gaming.
Unless he further expands his questioning by giving a budget, stating what is available to him based on location, if an HD 6670 is already owned, interest in upgrading, and restraints like PSU, then I will shy away from recommendations.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2012 9:58:41 PM

Novulux said:
How would it not be?
Maybe I'm actually trying to answer his question. It is superior in this case in reference to his question, "Wich will give me better results with game?" He also states that both WILL have HD 6670s. In that case, the 10-5800k will be superior for gaming.
Unless he or she further expands his questioning by giving a budget, stating what is available to based on location, if an HD 6670 is already owned, interest in upgrading, and restraints like PSU, then I will shy away from recommendations.

^ + 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
m
l
December 2, 2012 10:08:13 PM

I'd go for the 965 BE. You can look up benchs on comparing CPUs on Anandtech.com.
The reason I'd go for the 965 is the L3 cache it has. The L3 should definitely give a smoother gaming experience and why bother with an entry level CPU when even tho the 965 is a generation or two behind AMD's lineup it's still faster in gaming.

Good airflow and a decent aftermarket cooler + Arctic silver 5. Good to go.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
December 3, 2012 6:12:57 PM

Novulux said:
In the context of his given information, the A10-5800k is the superior choice. Perhaps he already has the HD 6670.

My advice would be if you already have a 6670, then get a Phenom II 965 if your budget is tight, then upgrade the video card later. If you do not already have a video card, do nothing... Save until you have enough money to get a Phenom II AND a decent video card, the 7850 is a decently priced card capable of 1080p gaming.

APUs are more appropriate as a stand alone low-end system, like a daily browser, something to get on facebook with, play little java games, or watch movies. Yes, certain cards will crossfire with their integrated graphics, but a proper gaming system is still going to favor a discrete graphics card paired with a capable CPU. Phenom II 965s are $85 from Newegg.. Cheaper than the APUs anyway.
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 3, 2012 6:35:54 PM

nekulturny said:
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3632/funnysnapeseverussnape1.jpg

My advice would be if you already have a 6670, then get a Phenom II 965 if your budget is tight, then upgrade the video card later. If you do not already have a video card, do nothing... Save until you have enough money to get a Phenom II AND a decent video card, the 7850 is a decently priced card capable of 1080p gaming.

APUs are more appropriate as a stand alone low-end system, like a daily browser, something to get on facebook with, play little java games, or watch movies. Yes, certain cards will crossfire with their integrated graphics, but a proper gaming system is still going to favor a discrete graphics card paired with a capable CPU. Phenom II 965s are $85 from Newegg.. Cheaper than the APUs anyway.

I agree 100% on all points made especailly the second paragraph.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 6:49:51 PM

rds1220 said:

The problem with the debate being held in this thread is that it's not arguing two potential options for how to allocate the same money, but rather whether or not it's a good idea to wildly exceed the cost the OP suggests he is looking to spend.

The first option of a A10/6670 crossfire is going to cost around $180 for the APU and GPU.

The second option of X4 965/7950 setup would cost at minimum of $400+, and more like $600 for the 7970 configuration.

I don't especially like the results I've seen from my personal experience using crossfired systems, but I would have to weigh in an apples-to-apples comparison as the alternative. The next place to go from a 6670 would be a 7770 or a 550 ti card for around $125. That would be around $215 or so for the two components, which is at least ball park with the initial option. Would that outpace the APU crossfire? I suspect yes, but I honestly wouldn't say I have a strong opinion on that matchup.
m
l
December 3, 2012 6:58:05 PM

ocmusicjunkie said:
The problem with the debate being held in this thread is that it's not arguing two potential options for how to allocate the same money, but rather whether or not it's a good idea to wildly exceed the cost the OP suggests he is looking to spend.

The first option of a A10/6670 crossfire is going to cost around $180 for the APU and GPU.

The second option of X4 965/7950 setup would cost at minimum of $400+, and more like $600 for the 7970 configuration.

I don't especially like the results I've seen from my personal experience using crossfired systems, but I would have to weigh in an apples-to-apples comparison as the alternative. The next place to go from a 6670 would be a 7770 or a 550 ti card for around $125. That would be around $215 or so for the two components, which is at least ball park with the initial option. Would that outpace the APU crossfire? I suspect yes, but I honestly wouldn't say I have a strong opinion on that matchup.

Honestly, i was thinking the same way. If we knew If the OP wanted to build new budget rig, we could be debating whether or not an APU would be the right choice.I assumed he was planing to do an upgrade over his current set up. I am not sure if i missed that part. What is the budget and what is the current configuration of the OP? Does he already own the 6670 mentioned?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
December 3, 2012 7:33:33 PM

technoholic said:
Honestly, i was thinking the same way. If we knew If the OP wanted to build new budget rig, we could be debating whether or not an APU would be the right choice.I assumed he was planing to do an upgrade over his current set up. I am not sure if i missed that part. What is the budget and what is the current configuration of the OP? Does he already own the 6670 mentioned?

Well, I think my post covered it either way. Even if the 6670 is already owned, from a purely gaming perspective, the 6670 is not a great card. Its at best an entry-level card, suited for maxing out simple games like Runescape or League of Legends, but its not an ideal gaming card beyond that. Now, you're faced with 2 completely different paths here between the APU and the Phenom II, as both require different motherboards (FM2 and AM3+ boards respectively).
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 3, 2012 8:00:50 PM

ocmusicjunkie said:

He's debating between an APU and a Phenom II and the as Nuku has said the Phenom II is the better choice even if the 6670 is already owned. It's faster and more powerful in CPU core power than the APU.
m
l
December 3, 2012 8:04:57 PM

Thanks all for your answers, i was searching and yes the phenom is cheaper, but the reason of why i had the A10 as an option is because the socket, i mean if i buy that APU, i'll have o buy a newer board with a newer socket, so if i want to change the APU, i could sell it and buy a new one, but now im confussed, i think i will buy the phenom, and i will keep the money i have for the GPU, and i will save for a new GPU, thanks to all :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 8:22:48 PM

trenico said:
Thanks all for your answers, i was searching and yes the phenom is cheaper, but the reason of why i had the A10 as an option is because the socket, i mean if i buy that APU, i'll have o buy a newer board with a newer socket, so if i want to change the APU, i could sell it and buy a new one, but now im confussed, i think i will buy the phenom, and i will keep the money i have for the GPU, and i will save for a new GPU, thanks to all :D 

Good choice! Nice to see you were not limited to the HD 6670. Have you come to a consensus about picking a video card? We can help you pick one out... I would say the HD 7850 is great for 1080p.
m
l

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
December 3, 2012 8:27:07 PM

trenico said:

You're welcome.. Yes the motherboard socket is newer, but its not *that* newer. Theres certainly no difference in features beyond the socket between the two boards. AM3+ socket is currently planned to continue its life through the 3rd quarter of 2013 when AMD is tenatively going to release its "Steamroller" generation. Phenom IIs are very flexible, they had 2 main generations, the first designed for the AM2+ socket, and the 2nd for the AM3 (The Phenom II 965 is part of the AM3 generation), they are also forward compatible with the current AM3+ socket. So if you buy an AM3+ motherboard, you can have at least one CPU upgrade on it, although honestly by the time you need one, a new system might be the better option anyway. Sadly, that usually is the case with computers.
December 3, 2012 10:23:16 PM

Crossfiring a 6670 with the Integrated just makes it even worse, crossfiring different cards with different memory amounts makes the higher one lower itself to the lower card, so you will have a 512MB 6670 with marginally increased performance.

I'd go for a 7750 or GTX650 plus a Phenom X4 Black, way better in the end,
m
l
December 3, 2012 10:27:30 PM

nekulturny said:
You're welcome.. Yes the motherboard socket is newer, but its not *that* newer. Theres certainly no difference in features beyond the socket between the two boards. AM3+ socket is currently planned to continue its life through the 3rd quarter of 2013 when AMD is tenatively going to release its "Steamroller" generation. Phenom IIs are very flexible, they had 2 main generations, the first designed for the AM2+ socket, and the 2nd for the AM3 (The Phenom II 965 is part of the AM3 generation), they are also forward compatible with the current AM3+ socket. So if you buy an AM3+ motherboard, you can have at least one CPU upgrade on it, although honestly by the time you need one, a new system might be the better option anyway. Sadly, that usually is the case with computers.

You are right :D  , i didn't know the steamroller, i also read that it will support AM3+, so i will buy a motherboard with this socket and the phenom 965, thank you and thanks to all for the help :D 
m
l
December 3, 2012 10:28:15 PM

Best answer selected by trenico.
m
l
!