Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cannot get into Bios after changing CMOS battery

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 21, 2012 6:58:00 PM

Hello,

My Dell Dimension 8400 running XP Pro suddenly would not boot because of low voltage. I changed the CMOS battery and now it boots fine--but to the wrong hard drive (I have two in the tower) and it doesn't even see the other hd.

BIOS will not open. I get the splash screen but nothing works. I have tried all kinds of keys/combos and even got a PS2 keyboard to see if it was not reading the USB keyboard--no go.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!!!
July 21, 2012 7:45:07 PM

I assume you tried the F2 key at the start of boot up? Sounds like you could have damaged the motherboard during battery replacement. When you changed the battery, did you unplug the computer from the wall socket? also did you disconnect all of the other components and ground yourself to bare metal of the case? You could try and remove the battery again and give it a couple of minutes before a reinstall to see if you can access the BIOS.
m
0
l
July 21, 2012 7:45:42 PM

Dell uses a bunch of different keys to access the system setup.

Try the following:

F1 F2 F8 F10 F12 DEL

Sometimes you can press TAB to skip the splash screen and see the startup details which may mention what key you need to press
m
0
l
Related resources
July 21, 2012 8:22:51 PM

also tske power off the system and try using the clear cmos jumper. the cmos may have reset itself wrong. clearing with the jumper might fix it.
m
0
l
July 21, 2012 9:07:31 PM

knightdog56 said:
I assume you tried the F2 key at the start of boot up? Sounds like you could have damaged the motherboard during battery replacement. When you changed the battery, did you unplug the computer from the wall socket? also did you disconnect all of the other components and ground yourself to bare metal of the case? You could try and remove the battery again and give it a couple of minutes before a reinstall to see if you can access the BIOS.


Don't think I damaged mb--did follow all precautions you detailed.

Remembering now that when i initially got Low Voltage warning, I was offered F2 to go into setup or some other key to go right to windows. Neither key had any effect.

I let the computer sit for a few days and then it booted up perfectly.
Next time I started it, low voltage warning again and non-recognition of keystrokes.

Now, after replacing battery, when it boots up it seems to not recognize any keystrokes until windows is open. Then everything is fine. Or would be if it were booting into the correct hard drive.

I can try reseating the new battery and see if that works.

thanks!
m
0
l
July 21, 2012 9:10:16 PM

Pinhedd said:
Dell uses a bunch of different keys to access the system setup.

Try the following:

F1 F2 F8 F10 F12 DEL

Sometimes you can press TAB to skip the splash screen and see the startup details which may mention what key you need to press


I have tried multiple keys and key combos and have tried to force BIOS by holding multiple keys down during start-up. Nothing has any effect. It just goes right to windows.

I've gone into BIOS before, never had this problem.

Splash screen says use F2.

It is like the computer doesn't even know I am hitting any keys at all.
Yet keyboard works fine once it is in windows.

Thank you.
m
0
l
July 21, 2012 9:11:25 PM

smorizio said:
also tske power off the system and try using the clear cmos jumper. the cmos may have reset itself wrong. clearing with the jumper might fix it.


This has same effect as removing battery and replacing again, yes?
Will give it a go.

Thanks.
m
0
l
July 22, 2012 8:51:53 PM

Ultron9 said:
This has same effect as removing battery and replacing again, yes?
Will give it a go.

Thanks.


No, clearing the CMOS resets values. Make sure you follow directions for when to connect power. They are in your Manual and in the online spec for your MB.
m
0
l
!